It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHY DO THEY PUSH PEOPLE THROUGH COLLEGE?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I am a professional chef altho I don't have any formal training through a culinary college, but yet I work with a kid that's 23 years old that "GRADUATED FROM A CULINARY COLLEGE" but he can't make a bake potato? or even put butter on a simple grilled cheese????????..Ok im just asking what y'all think??? are schools just pushing through students to get the money? or obviously they don't care? i would appreciate any opinions you may have about this subject

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Probably because either the 23 yr old didnt pay attention and just passed exams using cheat sheets easily found on the net, or maybe doesnt remember those techniques or doesnt want to remember.

As one college professor told me years ago, the degree only means that your ready for the real world, it doesnt mean you know everything there is to know about the real world.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
maybe he is just a stupid morons and colleges just push people thru too get the money. afterall how many star sports players are illiterate? because they have a talent that's wh

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Probably because either the 23 yr old didnt pay attention and just passed exams using cheat sheets easily found on the net, or maybe doesnt remember those techniques or doesnt want to remember.

As one college professor told me years ago, the degree only means that your ready for the real world, it doesnt mean you know everything there is to know about the real world.

Cheers!!!!

Hey man thanks for that, me and my bf actually said the same things! OK so what's more important, if you were an employer would you rather hire a person that has 20+ years experience or would you hire someone that just got out of college? where will your trust fall?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Im in school and I work my arse off to maintain a 4.0. Im certainly not pushed through!

Maybe the guy you work with is just lazy. Maybe Culinary School is different then a University. I dont know.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

exactly i have been doing rooting/siding construction for over 20 years and had a kid graduate vo-tech at 19 and tell me i was wrong in what i was doing- f###you

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

good for you dude congrats!!! keep it up - but i believe what she was talking about were the people who just get pushed through qnd know nothing but claim they do. is it because of money? same as i said earlier about athletes

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Im in school and I work my arse off to maintain a 4.0. Im certainly not pushed through!

Maybe the guy you work with is just lazy. Maybe Culinary School is different then a University. I dont know.

Thanks for your opinion but the truth of the matter all schools have the same standards that people go there to LEARN it doesnt matter if it's a culinary school, a university or even elementary school bottom line is you PAY tuition to learn but then again you go out in the real world and you cannot deliver..What's up with that?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Many people come out of universities and vo-tec schools (especially) not knowing how to perform in the working world. It's a matter of applying what you have learned - not regurgitating it for exams.

I am an aircraft mechanic. To be licensed for such a job you must written oral and practicals to obtain the certification. But, dumb asses still slip through.

All and all, (proper) experience is the best teacher.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Perhaps it was like it was for me a number of years ago when I went to (didn't finish) a electronics tech school. They Presume that you already know the basics otherwise you wouldn't be there. So therefore they skip the barest basics and jump directly into the more complicated things.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CHEFVANESSA73

I disagree that all schools have the same standards.

I don't mean that culinary schools standards would be less than a liberal arts college, but that not all culinary schools are the same, just as not all liberal arts schools are the same.

In both cases I imagine there are some schools where you can more or less purchase a degree without learning a thing, and some where you're going to work your butt off learning more stuff in a short period of time than you ever have before or ever will again.

But there is never a substitute for experience, in my opinion. Education can provide a solid base for the experience, especially if the education focused on flexibility and problem-solving rather than memorizing rules. But the real world has too many variables for experience not to matter.

BTW, did you check up on this person's resume with the school and any past employers listed? Cause it's not outside of the realm of possibility that someone would lie on a job application

new topics

top topics

join