It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Perfect Solution For Pollution

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
The original post was a request for BRAIN-STORMING.

Yes, brain-storming, exactly!

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Are you familiar at all with the scrubbers they install on power plant smokestacks? Is there any way to adapt this on a smaller scale?

Yes I am familiar with that. Actually I posted on another thread somewhere, a link to a story about underground miners, and how they had combustion engines underground with them. To prevent getting sick from the exhaust accumulation in the mines, they used small brush like fingers inside the exhaust system to capture as much of the exhaust they could.

They collected so much, that they actually sold the soot to a company for profit.

I was thinking about adapting this to a common vehicle, but I have not been able to test how much soot it would collect over a period of time. I would think that over a long period there would be a build up, and the build up would continually decrease the performance of the car, because of increasing back pressure.

However, there could be a way to "automatically" clean the brushes every time you start and stop the vehicle engine, and it will knock the soot off the brushes, and into another container that doesn't effect the exhaust.

This method would collect a good portion of soot, however other things could still pass through. If I had to design a system that collects pollution, it would combine multiple methods of collection. "Scrubbers" or "Brushes" inside the system could be like a "Stage 1", and another methods of collection could be employed after that, and it could be called "Stage 2"... then "Stage 3"....etc...

----

I hope this isn't against the rules, but another idea I was toying with is a type of "water "bubbler"" system.

The exhaust would go right into water (or a specially engineered liquid substance, or another substance), and as the bubbles rise to the surface, they are filtered by the water/liquid substance. But this method has few kinks to work out too...

The largest problem to over come with exhaust capture systems is the way the combustion engines get rid of the exhaust. When the exhaust valve opens on a 4 stroke engine, the piston is supposed to push out the exhaust. If there is any back pressure, then the exhaust fumes have more trouble escaping, and the engine won't run well, if at all.

This is why I propose a type of powerful "vacuum" system that will suck out the exhaust gases when the exhaust valve opens. This could be a way around the "exhaust back pressure" problem.

<< 1   >>

join