It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ultra weird power surge the other night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hey guys, I have been wanting to wright this for a couple for days now but just havent had the time.

The other night I was watching tv when all of a sudden I heard a big bang coming from the tv as if the power went out or something. All the power went off in JUST my basement. I checked to see if it was a power failure but all i did was just turn everything back on again. It was like someone turned off everything in my basement with their own remote. I went upstairs to see if the same thing had happened, but it did not. All the lights and power were still on. The creepy thing is that when I went into my room I saw that all my power was still on except my computer. I know that my computer was on before because i was downloading something. Also I noticed that my alarm clock was still on, and i thought that was weird because my computer and my alarm clock are plugged into the same power bar.

The next night, the same thing happened 2 times in a row, but the only thing that was different was that my computer stayed on and I noticed that all the street lamps went off for about 5-10 secs. Just yesterday I also found out that it has also been happening to other people who live on my street.

Does anyone know what this could be?
Is anybody having the same problems?

I thought that it was just hydro or bell having some problems but you never know

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
weird O.o I have no I dea what it could be. Well I have some theories, but they are a bit out there...Does the ground your house is built on hae bit of a history? How old is your house?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Most houses in the USA are wired 220v / single phase, so you have 2 wires and the voltages are 180 degrees out of phase- this is how you get 220v. There is also a neutral wire which if you measure the voltage between either of the 'hot' wires and the neutral you get 110v. If you were to look in your breaker panel you'd see what I mean. Each hot wire feeds every other breaker kind of like this (the number is one of the hot wires):
1 2
2 1
1 2
2 1
If you need 220 volts for a circuit, you get a dual pole 'ganged' breaker that goes over two terminals and trips both poles simultaneously.
But I digress.... If one leg is interrupted outside of the house, you'll loose power to 1/2 of your breakers. So you could have half your house lit and the other not depending on how it's wired.
So I'm guessing the utility company was doing some work near your house, possibly doing 1 leg at a time. I say it was probably the utility company since you say that your neighbors were experiencing the problem as well. Often, the utility company will wire parallel circuits so they can disconnect something in the middle, but they have to momentarily interrupt the power to change over to the other circuit.
As for the computer and clock, maybe when the utility company cut the power over on whichever leg those were on, the computer shut off (most modern computers won't turn back on in case of a power failure unless the appropriate setting in the bios is set) but the clock remained on.

join