It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Granny's $1M 'Scratch' Win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

A 92-year-old great-grandmother from Queens accidentally discarded a winning $1 million scratch-off lottery ticket - but a scrupulous supermarket clerk saved the day.

At a state lottery press conference in Flushing Meadows yesterday, Mary Alice Fallon, a regular customer at Deirdre Maeve's supermarket in Breezy Point, recounted how she bought three tickets on Nov. 24.

You know, I can't say I would have let her know she won. I would have pocketed it. I know that's not the politically correct thing to do, but it's a million dollars...

Would you have kept it?

Mod Note: Breaking General News Posting Guidelines- Please Review This Link

And most importantly, the submission must be made via the Submit News Button
located on the toolbar at the top of the page.

[edit on Sat Dec 20 2008 by Jbird]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I would have kept it.

Sorry, Million bucks is a millions bucks.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I hate to say I would have kept it, but I probably would have. Then again, I just can't see myself being able to do it.

I honestly don't know.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Not even if she gave it to me.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
That's a rough one and one of those things I don't think you can know until you're in the situation. I honestly don't think I could keep it in this situation. I'd give it to the lady and hope she kicked me back a couple of bucks. You know, for the effort.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I would have cashed the ticket and gave her half, after taxes.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Oh man. That's a tough question. However, yes, I would give the lady the ticket but it would be like the scene from the movie Ghost when Whoopie Goldberg is giving the $4 million check to the group of nuns.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't. It would be like stealing 1 million dollars from someone. Just couldn't do it although it would be tempting. You can't forgo your honor, even for $1 million.

Edit to add: I remember when I was a little girl, I stole $7 out of my mother's purse. I couldn't eat, barely slept, my tummy was in knots, and every time I looked at my mother, I was overcome with shame. I finally broke down one night in tears and told her what I did and insisted on repaying it 7x7 ($49 dollars), OT style. So if $7 could do that much guilt damage, there'd just be no way I could live with myself at $1 million. That and I couldn't afford the $7 million repay.

[edit on 12/22/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
i already know i could keep it. there is also no question that i would keep it. thats a million bones man

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Kept it... I never said I was a saint.

She's 94, I think she might of got an anonymous gift of $2,000 in cash at the end of every month - if she lived another 10 years that would cost me less than a quarter of a million - and the odd are she wont live that long!

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I agree with most of you here...I would have kept the $$$

One million bucks!!

$500,000 after taxes would solve any problem that I have and then some.

I would like to say that I would give some to her bit that path would likely leed to legal hassles that would eat up most of the cash that was left.

Nope..I'd have to dash.

new topics

top topics

join