It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Granny's $1M 'Scratch' Win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

A 92-year-old great-grandmother from Queens accidentally discarded a winning $1 million scratch-off lottery ticket - but a scrupulous supermarket clerk saved the day.

At a state lottery press conference in Flushing Meadows yesterday, Mary Alice Fallon, a regular customer at Deirdre Maeve's supermarket in Breezy Point, recounted how she bought three tickets on Nov. 24.

You know, I can't say I would have let her know she won. I would have pocketed it. I know that's not the politically correct thing to do, but it's a million dollars...

Would you have kept it?

Mod Note: Breaking General News Posting Guidelines- Please Review This Link

And most importantly, the submission must be made via the Submit News Button
located on the toolbar at the top of the page.

[edit on Sat Dec 20 2008 by Jbird]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I would have kept it.

Sorry, Million bucks is a millions bucks.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I hate to say I would have kept it, but I probably would have. Then again, I just can't see myself being able to do it.

I honestly don't know.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Not even if she gave it to me.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
That's a rough one and one of those things I don't think you can know until you're in the situation. I honestly don't think I could keep it in this situation. I'd give it to the lady and hope she kicked me back a couple of bucks. You know, for the effort.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I would have cashed the ticket and gave her half, after taxes.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Oh man. That's a tough question. However, yes, I would give the lady the ticket but it would be like the scene from the movie Ghost when Whoopie Goldberg is giving the $4 million check to the group of nuns.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't. It would be like stealing 1 million dollars from someone. Just couldn't do it although it would be tempting. You can't forgo your honor, even for $1 million.

Edit to add: I remember when I was a little girl, I stole $7 out of my mother's purse. I couldn't eat, barely slept, my tummy was in knots, and every time I looked at my mother, I was overcome with shame. I finally broke down one night in tears and told her what I did and insisted on repaying it 7x7 ($49 dollars), OT style. So if $7 could do that much guilt damage, there'd just be no way I could live with myself at $1 million. That and I couldn't afford the $7 million repay.

[edit on 12/22/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
i already know i could keep it. there is also no question that i would keep it. thats a million bones man

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Kept it... I never said I was a saint.

She's 94, I think she might of got an anonymous gift of $2,000 in cash at the end of every month - if she lived another 10 years that would cost me less than a quarter of a million - and the odd are she wont live that long!

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I agree with most of you here...I would have kept the $$$

One million bucks!!

$500,000 after taxes would solve any problem that I have and then some.

I would like to say that I would give some to her bit that path would likely leed to legal hassles that would eat up most of the cash that was left.

Nope..I'd have to dash.

join