It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl who never ate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Ack... a while ago I remember a story about some girl, there was a nickname for her, but I think she was anorexic for a while, then she stopped eating all together. Every once and a while she would be struck blind, then be cured, or deaf, or she'd just go into a coma. Apparently she went really long without eating, decades.I think it took place sometime during the 20's or 30's when Anorexia and Bulemia started getting popular. Has anybody else heard about this? I think theres a book out on it. Sorry for lack of information

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
That is impossible. No one can go without food nearly that long. Whatever you read I'm sure its a joke because there is no way that can be true.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
you can go without food for about 2 weeks, 1 month tops but a for a few decades? i doubt it. at the rate at which your body uses all those nutrients, it's impossible.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
the rule of thumb is three i blieve, 3 minutes without oxygen, three days without water and 3 weeks without food.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
You can go without food until your fat has burned up the next turn is the muscles� then you beginning to se death I think.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Doesn't sound possible to me. The absolute FURTHEST I would be willing to allow my optomistic mind to go is 3 months. And thats a huge stretch.

Did a little looking around and it sounds like you are talking about Sarah Jacob, although the time when she lived (1869) and the time she went without food (something like 16 months) differ. They thought she was capable of not eating until the put her on 24 hour watch. Incapable of not taking food from her secret stash without being seen, she starved to death. Check out google on Sarah Jacob for some more info.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Maybe she was being fed by some tube, through the arm or something.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 06:44 AM
link   
It was Sarah Jacob, I guess she lived a little earlier than I thought. But if she died during the 24 hour watch It was probably a load of BS.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Here's an article on CNN about a guy who hasn't eaten in 69 years.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Did he pass his 10 day trial without eating, drinkign or... hehe...? It diddn't say in the article, unless I missed it...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I am so sick of this peer pressure crap ! I had it at school, we all did. You need to starve yourself to look like those models in the fashion magazines or you're now a real woman ! And the sad thing is that some of my schooldfriends actually believed it ! They wouldn't eat for 2 or 3 days, and live on fizzy orange or water.

Not me.

I never read the things then and I certainly don't read them now. I'm quite happy how I am thank you very much and I'm not prepared to change just because some idoiot thinks I should drop a dress size !

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Actually there are some cultures that they fast for days or weeks at a time. Fasting has been proven to desintoxicate your body, including clean your bowels and liver. You start ridding your body of all toxins after about 4 days of not eating anything.

I have done it in the past, drinking only water for 7 days and not eating a thing. I could exercise, go to work like normal, not to lose fat, since i never had that problem. i haven't fasted in a long time, but i am sure I could do it again if i wanted to. I don't have any health problems whatsoever, so i guess it works.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Yeah.. Ghandi did a bunch of strange stuff too. That guy was a toothpick.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by glitch314
Yeah.. Ghandi did a bunch of strange stuff too. That guy was a toothpick.

*shakes head* *hands over a dictionary and a biography of Mahatma Gandhi*

What Gandhi did was become an almost vegen, but he did drink goat milk. He did it because of his religion.

There are many religions in the world that require its followers to fast for a month, not continuously, they fast during the day, but they eat at sunset, or is it sunrise?

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
By the time I got here I forgot what it was about.

......hmm The ate who never girled right?
Since when was girl a verb and ate a noun, you crazy people.

Unless "ate" is some guy and never girled is a reference to his virginity.
When I take off my foil hat, they control me.
I have a graveyard of dead batteries.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
the rule of thumb is three i blieve, 3 minutes without oxygen, three days without water and 3 weeks without food.

Death from not eating in 100% starvation comes from lack of necessary vitamins/minerals, causing rapid deficiencies, and electrolyte imbalances - not from the body eating itself. With enough water, salts, and vitamins, even on a negligible amount of calories (say, under 10, to account for a vitamin pill etc.) an average human can survive more like three MONTHS without food, perhaps even longer if there was more body tissue to start with.

Someone who starves for long periods of time frequently also will have a more rapid metabolic adjustment to having too little food, meaning metabolism drops faster and they conserve energy better, so it would theoretically be possible to survive without food, provided enough minerals etc. are provided, for several months or perhaps up to a year, if pre-existing conditions aligned just right.

A decade is ridiculous, though. She had to have some alternate source of nutrition - perhaps by fasting she only consumed liquids, or something.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Don't starve yourself to be beautiful. I don't like the really skinny chicks anyway. My girls have to have some meat on them.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Probably an urban legend.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have hypoglycemia, so I have to eat regularly or I'm worse than useless. If this story is true, I hate to think of the state she must have been in.

I remember seeing a documentary about people with Bulimia/Anorexia and I really felt for them. They looked like walking skeletons and still thought they were fat. The one girl could hardly walk and had been told that her body was so damaged that she only had a little time left to live. It was distressing to see and to realise that it was something like an addiction to them.

I think there are websites dedicated to helping people become anorexic. I haven't seen one but if they do exist then there is something seriously wrong with this world.

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I had a teacher at my high school who didn't ever eat. He couldn't. He had some condition or injury. I guess his stomach or digestive system became incapable of processing food and nutrients, I don't know. So he always has a backpack on, and has an IV in him like all the time, which is where he gets the nutrients to live. So he can function close to normal, but he will never be able to eat food again, and he hasn't for a few years now, at the least. What an awful thing.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join