It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mugabe: Zimbabwe is mine - I will never surrender

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Mugabe: Zimbabwe is mine - I will never surrender

www.timesonline.co.uk

A defiant Robert Mugabe declared today “Zimbabwe is mine” as his failing government struggles to cope with a cholera epidemic and growing international condemnation.

The Zimbabwean leader, who is widely believed to have lost elections earlier this year, told his Zanu-PF party’s annual conference that he would not be intimidated by calls to step down.

“I will never, never, never, never surrender,” he said. “Zimbabwe is mine, I am a Zimbabwean. Zimbabwe for Zimbabweans. Zimbabwe never for the British, Britain for the British.”

The veteran leader, who made his name leading the liberation movement that ended white rule, said he would remain in power until “his people decide to change him".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
His people have decided to change him earlier this year but he didn't heed the result of those elections (despite the violence that Zanu-PF supporters meted out on opposition members).

Negotiating with him has also failed. South African attempts at mediation and trying to form a coalition government have fallen through. Cholera is sweeping the country, with the latest UN estimates suggesting over a thousand people have died so far (despite Mugabe saying the outbreak is under control).

Mugabe has to go. The consequences of him staying for any length of time would be disastrous for Zimbabwe and potentially much of southern Africa if the cholera epidemic spreads (as it already has into South Africa).

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19/12/08 by Ste2652]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Some other websites have picked up the story, including:

Sky News

BBC News (with video)

new topics

join