It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery Lights Over The Midlands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   

A "spectacular" display apparently involving dozens of UFOs has been reported in the skies over the West Midlands. Eyewitnesses told Sky News that up to 70 bright circular objects could be seen near Halesowen..

Does anyone have any other footage of the below spheres seen over the midlands ?

It's also refreshing to see this make the main page on Sky news

Sky News Report

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

He said: "This was incredible and so spectacular. The lights seem to climb into the sky to the north of us, just before 8pm last night

This is enough, the mentioning that, the lights climbed into the sky easily shows that these are a set of chinese lanterns and the high speed mentioned will be due to the jet stream pushing it northwards.

[edit on 19/12/08 by peacejet]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Did you see them

Interesting stuff - dont you love this quote

Reports of UFOs were examined by the MoD solely to establish whether UK airspace may have been compromised by hostile or unauthorised military activity. If required, sighting reports are examined with the assistance of the Department's air defence experts. Unless there is evidence of a potential threat, no further work is undertaken to identify the nature of each sighting reported. The MoD has no other interest or role regarding UFO matters and does not consider questions regarding the existence or otherwise of extraterrestrial life-forms.

Nothing there, they are supposed to be actually looking for aircraft in british airspace. Something is very wrong here.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
So...

Only when the MoD sees these UFO as hostiles will they take action?

How weird

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

that would be the other jet stream that blows North over the UK then

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by bskivss3
So...

How weird

Clearly an agreement has been reched - globally

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo

Originally posted by bskivss3
So...

How weird

Clearly an agreement has been reched - globally

What kind of show of hostility is required ?

I wonder what they would do if you reported a ufo and said it had a swastika on it or a red star , would they then have to investigate.

If the russians sent a plane over to just take recon photos they are up there like $hit of a shovel.

Why do they not see these things in the same light ?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

This is enough, the mentioning that, the lights climbed into the sky easily shows that these are a set of chinese lanterns and the high speed mentioned will be due to the jet stream pushing it northwards.

Afraid not mate for 3 reasons:

Firstly, the article says:

Then they came towards us and flew right over the top. Some were so close they were almost touching and were only a hundred feet or so above us

The Jet Stream operates between 10-15km above the Earth's surface and no normal wind would be able to carry Chinese Lanterns at twice the speed of a normal aircraft as the article goes on to suggest.

Secondly, the Jet Stream runs from a south-westerly direction meaning any object would be pushed north east. If you'd bothered reading the rest of the article it says:

They went south at a terrific speed.

Thirdly, the article says:

They were all circular and had 13 to 15 lights around the rim. Each had lights in the centre which were flashing on and off

Can you imagine anyone spending that much money on 70 Chinese lanterns that elaborate?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
There is footage as it states at the bottom of the article on yahoo news but I cant find anything yet.
Steve Randall is one of the eye witnesses, cant wait to see the vid!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Beauty_HairyBeast

Edit for me being a dingbat and not noticing this thread has the same news link.

Blind I am this morning.

[edit on 19/12/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
How weird.. I've not had dreams about this sort of thing for months, i often have dreams where i see UFO's, often in great magnitude in size, in the sky. Last night i dreamt that i saw balls of light in the sky making formations and there was something about star constalations as well. Now this happens today and it's kinda freaky that i had such a dream the night before a similar thing happens the next day lol.

Maybe it is lanterns but i'm not so sure at the moment..

[edit on 19-12-2008 by Tactical-Siege]

[edit on 19-12-2008 by Tactical-Siege]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

Thirdly, the article says:

They were all circular and had 13 to 15 lights around the rim. Each had lights in the centre which were flashing on and off

Can you imagine anyone spending that much money on 70 Chinese lanterns that elaborate?

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Well they move like sky lanterns, they flicker like sky lanterns, they are exactly like the sky lanterns we set off, so I'd say yes, these are undoubtedly sky lanterns.

And if anyone thinks there are too many to be sky lanterns, check them out on eBay. They're being sold in the thousands. eBay Sky Lanterns

WG3

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Video on liveleak

www.liveleak.com...

edit:
whoops didnt see the video on the main news page

[edit on 19-12-2008 by MurrayTORONTO]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Has anyone considered this sighting is very simmilar to the Mexico flap a few years ago. The formations are very simmilar. Makes you think !!
or maybe Ailens were Christmas Shopping in the Bullring at Birmingham for bargains at Woolies !!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Anyone thought about connecting it to Faerie Lore, like the Wild Hunt or Furous Hosts that ride through the skies this time of year according to folklore?

I'm not saying UFO's are pixies!
They could of inspired such beliefs though.

[edit on 19/12/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
There's an update found by nerbot: see
Source Of Midlands UFOs Revealed

A dramatic display of bright lights in the West Midlands which prompted local fears of a UFO invasion has been revealed as a bit of child's play.

The mystery objects were identified as a cluster of cheap flying lanterns.
They had been released into the night sky last night during a children's carol service at a nearby primary school in Halesowen.
Stunned residents were left mystified after seeing the silent night interrupted by a "long string of lights" travelling across the sky.
The bemused locals contacted local UFO enthusiasts - who were convinced the sightings among the stars in the bright sky were genuine.
Resident Steven Randall, of Hunnington, Halesowen, was alerted by a neighbour at around 7.45pm.

Sky News article - Source Of Midlands UFOs Revealed

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
CASE CLOSED.

Sky News UPDATE

Please see a thread I will make later called "Cry Wolf"

[edit on 20-12-2008 by Did you see them]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by internos
There's an update found by nerbot: see
Source Of Midlands UFOs Revealed

A dramatic display of bright lights in the West Midlands which prompted local fears of a UFO invasion has been revealed as a bit of child's play.

The mystery objects were identified as a cluster of cheap flying lanterns.
They had been released into the night sky last night during a children's carol service at a nearby primary school in Halesowen.
Stunned residents were left mystified after seeing the silent night interrupted by a "long string of lights" travelling across the sky.
The bemused locals contacted local UFO enthusiasts - who were convinced the sightings among the stars in the bright sky were genuine.
Resident Steven Randall, of Hunnington, Halesowen, was alerted by a neighbour at around 7.45pm.

Sky News article - Source Of Midlands UFOs Revealed

What a poor debunk by SkyNews wich at this level should be considered irrelevant.
They are not providing any evidence at all to support their debunk. Let's see.

“The mystery objects were identified as a cluster of cheap flying lantern”

Identified by whom? Any names, interviews, testimonials on camera? No, just words
wich are irrelevant. Listen SkyNews you need to do a better job. We'll wait.

“They had been released into the night sky last night during a children's carol service
at a nearby primary school in Halesowen”

What is the name of this school? Where are the kids or their teachers? Where are
their testimonials on camera? Why Skynews did'nt present any of these persons
involved? Who is your source of information Skynews? Your article is extremely
weak and poor, does'nt present any evidence just some words. Do your job and
provide more credible information about those alleged chinese lanters. We'll wait.

At this point it seems the tabloid SkyNews have been playing some kind of game
with those headlines just to get their ratings. First it was a ufo invasion, later they
were just cheap chinese lanterns invasion. Even Nick Pope who was interviewed on
a local tv show quoted Skynews when commenting the footage and again quoted
Skynews with the chinese lanterns version. Poor research also by Nick Pope quoting
the tabloid instead of going to the place and interview the witnesses and the
mentoned school kids in order to find out the truth.

This story is still unclear and reminds the Phoenix Lights case still in controversy
due to the alleged flares. SkyNews has the compromise and should present a proper
update with those schoolkids and teachers confirming the chinese lanterns story,
then we may say effectively case closed, if not then the controversy remains.

[edit on 20-12-2008 by free_spirit]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Did you see them
CASE CLOSED.

Sky News UPDATE

Please see a thread I will make later called "Cry Wolf"

[edit on 20-12-2008 by Did you see them]

No until Sky News present a valid evidence to support their debunk that is interviews
with those schoolkids, teachers, the school and it's location etc. Where did they buy
those cheap lanterns, in what store, in what town. Valid arguments in a proper
investigation not just simple words by an anonymous source.

A word of advice: Don't belive with eyes closed everything a media tabloid tells you,
evaluate the informations according to the evidence provided. Cry Wolf? not yet,
better wait to get those evidences by Sky News.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join