It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Haldron Collider Safe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
How safe is the Haldron Collider? Some people think it could destroy the World..and even tried to get a Court to stop it..

How do these scientists know it's safe to do this? Can you really guarantee safety when your 'trying to re-create conditions that existed during the "big Bang"'?

How do they know this 'particle' that their trying to throw won't create something that perpetuates? What if it goes, for instance, and splits some other particles and create a chain reaction?

Admittedly they have no idea what will happen, thats why they want to try it. Is it really worth killing US just to find out what some stupid particle is doing.. it appears to be usless as far as creating some usable technology that would benifit the Earth..

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Basically, unless you've actually got some grounding in the field, you know less about physics than the people involved. There's about as many doomsday scenarios for the LHC as there are ATS users, but I'd imagine few on here are actually physicists. It's pretty much assumed that they're lying to you, and that it IS a risky device. That's hard to argue against, because if you provide evidence, it's said to be lies propagated by those physicists with vested interests in making machines that will blow up the world.

Funny situation, really.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ominous

Realistically, if it were to go foul like some believe, you'd never know it... everything would go pop, and you'd cease to exist before the message even reached your brain...

Scientists do have a pretty good idea of what will happen... and are confident they aren't going to destroy the universe... I think all the panic is just the fact many don't understand what they are trying to do...

The people who don't believe the big bang is possible shouldn't have anything to worry about... so the majority of people on earth shouldn't be too worried...

I think its all just sensationalism at its best.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Theories

( That have nothing to back them up other then people watch way too much sci-fi channels end of world type movies. )

1. It will create a black hole that will sink to the center of the Earth then said black hole will swallow the Earth whole. This would happen very rapidly, to someone outside of earth viewing it, however to all of us on Earth it will seem to last forever. Something to do with Space / Time getting slower on the event horizon due to the massive gravity contained in the black hole.

2. It will open a hole in the Space / Time that will allow slurping horrors to enter our 3D universe ( Culthlulu and soforth namely ) that will then destroy the Earth, or at least humanity anyway.

3. A combo of both above, what a way to go, yes ?

The following is more likely to happen....

Not a blasted thing....

Unless you know something about the nature of the universe no one else knows

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I read in a recent article in a magazine (Popular Science I think) that the CERN system is safe. Bottom of the line, I am not a physicist. I am not concerned about whether or not CERN is safe. These scientists want to learn. How can they apply what they learn if the "blow up the planet"? Protons exists. Protons "slam" into each other all the time in space. Yet nothing happens to create a black hole / explosion. I am curious what they find out in the results. If I am wrong and CERN will destroy the earth... at least it would be quick and painless.

My philosophy: Live, Love, and laugh often. Live like there is no tomorrow. I do not want to be 80 years old remembering my past full of regrets of things I have not done or did not do.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Right now it is totally safe. It's not functional at this time. As far as the concerns about what would happen if something went wrong, well, something did go bad wrong, as wrong as anything can go at CERN. We're still here. No one was hurt, nothing was affected at all other than CERN itself.

The theories out there about ending the universe as we know it are flawed in that in the universe, black holes are massive and involve gazillions of atoms and energy. CERN involves two. One going in one direction and the other in the opposite. The energy released is about as dangerous as a light bulb.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
We are bombarded by more powerful high energy particles every second than the lhc could possibly create,alot more energy...all the LHC is doing this in a controlled environment to study on a smaller scale..

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Do they really understand why a sun is a sun? obviously some type endless nuclear reaction.. if they don't really understand it there could be a concern it may go that way.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ominous
How safe is the Haldron Collider? Some people think it could destroy the World..and even tried to get a Court to stop it..

How do these scientists know it's safe to do this? Can you really guarantee safety when your 'trying to re-create conditions that existed during the "big Bang"'?

How do they know this 'particle' that their trying to throw won't create something that perpetuates? What if it goes, for instance, and splits some other particles and create a chain reaction?

Admittedly they have no idea what will happen, thats why they want to try it. Is it really worth killing US just to find out what some stupid particle is doing.. it appears to be usless as far as creating some usable technology that would benifit the Earth..

It's called a hadron colllider, not a haldron collider. Hadron is a name given to the class of the prime, smallest of principal particles.

The type of experiments they will be performing takes places all the time in out atmospheare. There is of course always a probability that something will go wrong or we'll see something similar to what happened in the "Half-life" game

If anything, those people living directly above it or in a close distance should be concerned.

About being scared if anything should go wrong please remember that we're living on a piece or rock, orbiting a giant ball of fire, both of them in a star system filled with debree (asteroid belt). Nothing to worry about, move along

top topics

join