It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops that break driving laws!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Many of us here have been pulled over from time to time. Whether it be a tail light out, a non complete stop for a stop sign, or they photo us driving through a yellow light. Since modern tech as enabled us to capture events with video and pics on our cell phones, lets post these law breakers here. Please capture pics of cars of the police with plates and car #'s. They charge us for brake lights out and all kind of random things. It's time we all fight back!

[edit on 18-12-2008 by designerplague]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Why post it HERE? What good will that do? All it will do is create a huge bash fest and not accomplish anything.

If you see a cop breaking the law - even speeding....take down the info and call it in - you can do it anonymously.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Though sometimes there are blatant abuses of driving laws by the police overall I think we need to accept that we don't always know what is going on. They might need to get to a call quickly but it isn't such an emergency that they need their lights on the entire time.

It does bother me when they do not signal, because unless the lights and sirens are on, they should at least take the time to do that. So... unfortunately I don't agree with you in general. Unless you see a police officer that is clearly and blatantly abusing his/her power, just leave them alone on this issue. The fact is, you don't know what is happening most of the time when an officer is speeding, etc.

Besides instead of focusing on taking pictures of their vehicles and writing down license plate numbers, shouldn't you be focused on driving?

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

I think we need to accept that we don't always know what is going on. They might need to get to a call quickly but it isn't such an emergency that they need their lights on the entire time.

Ok. Thank you for saying that. I was actually getting ready to edit my post and say the exact thing.

I still think posting all that here, is pointless. JMO

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Yeah! Those cops are idiots!

Honestly that's not a good idea tho, OP. You can't charge police officers with traffic violations no matter how hard you try, and no matter how horrible their driving manners are.

[edit on 12/18/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

YW.... and I don't really see how this will help a pretty much non-issue either. Just the same I give the police the benefit of the doubt when it comes to road rules.

Nice seeing you BTW

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
It's obvious when cops are doing blatent traffic law breaking. There are procedures otherwise. Make yourself less ignorant about them.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
Besides instead of focusing on taking pictures of their vehicles and writing down license plate numbers, shouldn't you be focused on driving?

I did not say while driving anywhere!

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by designerplague

Soo.... are you going to camp out on a corner somewhere and just hope the police drive by and violate traffic laws? I understand where you coming from, I do, but you really haven't thought this through. Thanks for the thread, but I'm moving on now.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Why post it HERE? What good will that do?

What good does any of the conversations or threads do any of us here?

Or just to create discussion or awareness?

So what are you trying to do good here in your thread?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by designerplague

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Why post it HERE? What good will that do?

What good does any of the conversations or threads do any of us here?

Or just to create discussion or awareness?

So what are you trying to do good here in your thread?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ah ha. Love it.

You said:

lets post these law breakers here.
It's time we all fight back!

And I wondered how posting pictures and plate numbers here would do anything? I gave advice on how to fight back if one feels the need to do so.

So, carry on. I will back out of your thread now.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I was done with this, but I just want to say, that is really kind of cheap, and childish, going and digging up one of G.E.L.'s threads just because you disagree with what she has to say. Her thread, is relating to a specific definable case, not general comments about how you dislike how the police drive. Her thread involved a real social issue concerning a judge that set a dangerous precedent.
That is the difference between her thread and yours. Good day to you sir.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
You know, it's funny...I said the same thing last night to DaddyMax. We both work overnight, and there is a big indoor smoking room on the first floor. We were in there and watched a cop blow through the stop sign without lights or sirens. I suggested we set up a video camera and send it to the local news agencys.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I posted this because I wanted to!

Who are you to question me about what I want to do here?

I didn't see any notification that you were the 4th amigo!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
All in all the percieved intention is probably good, but more then likley the thread will turn into a cop bashing and cop defending debate that the mods will eventually shut down as some members can't refrain from bashing one another. BTW doesn't BTS have a rant and rave section, I'm done with this one.

[edit on 19-12-2008 by alyosha1981]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I agree with your spirit, but this is a touchy area and you have to really consider context and circumstances when deciding wether or not to report something like this. Here are some points to consider:

It is legal in almost every state for police officers to go up to 15 mph over the posted speed limit (any higher is a felony); however, there is usually a clause in the law requiring them to have a reason. That reason could be that they need to get somewhere quickly for emergency reasons or that they're trying to clock someone else's speed (which is crappy evidence that doesn't hold up in court, so debate that point all you want).

Just because a cop doesn't have their lights on doesn't mean they don't have an excuse to be going faster than the speed limit or not coming to a complete stop at stop signs, etc. Many times, cops will turn off their lights as they approach a site if there is a report of a violent person there. They're could also be other valid reasons. For example, I once knew an officer who had to drive a person 45 minutes to a hospital. It was on an interstate with low traffic and so he went over the speed limit by quite a bit but didn't run his lights so as to not be a distraction. I consider that to be acceptable.

All that being said, I am a strong supporter of high standards for police officers. I think there should only be two punishments for abuse of power: being fired or being thrown in jail for extended times. They do have a job to do though, and the nature of that job requires them to be able to have some leeway, especially with relatively minor laws such as traffic laws.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I didnt know cops could do all that cool stuff...im gonna apply tomorrow and see if they will accept me....on top of all that i get a gun and night stick...i can club people over the head..... Ill be so excited ill probably club everyone i run into....Hi MOM !!!!! ((((THUNK))))..... i just have to be aware of procedures during emergency situations...like if a cat is stuck in a tree can i shoot it down?

top topics

join