It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird ceremony?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I have tried to find out what this is
and knowing how many world travelers ATS has, I thought someone could tell me.
What is this weird ceremony?

Is that Mao with Lenin in there?! Weird!
Thanks!

[edit on 18-12-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

I'm pretty sure that image is a joke. However, are you asking about the custom of Chinese pinatas? I remember reading that the Chinese were actually the ones who invented the pinata and not the Spanish but that's all I really know. If Chinese pinatas are what you are asking about, I can do some Google searches for you but the image is meant to be humorous, most likely with a political angle.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

To respond to your edit: Yes, I'm pretty sure that is Mao, which led me to believe the photo was political humor. Can't tell who is on the inside. It's hard for me to see. It doesn't look like Lenin to me, though. His facial structure was more bony but the man inside the statue has more filled out facial features. I could be wrong but the outer looks like Mao but the inside is not Lenin.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Thanks Ash!

It's just been on my mind if this were not a joke, but a real ceremony. Japanese and Chinese customs are not well known to me.
BTW, I don't think the funny caption is original to the photo,The writing with the pic are from punditkitchen.com.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

The image looks entirely photoshopped to me. The woman, statue, inner person, gradient background, and text all look like separate layers.

That I'm sure of but what I don't know is the point they were trying to make with the image. lol

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
It does seem to be a type of political humor. Based on the goofiness of it, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it turned out to be a still frame from a Japanese game show. Though the photoshop angle could be a correct assumption. I dunno, my vote is a game show of some type.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
*Babloyi goes into photoshoppery analysis mode

This is obviously a photoshopped image. You can see the shadow of the man (woman?) with the hammer making it seem as if s/he is very close to the wall. The shadow of the piñata (as well as it's size) make it appear that it is behind the hammerer. If this were the case, the person with the hammer would be ahead of the piñata, and it would make no sense. All this, of course, assumes that the shadows are even real. The statue inside (which I think is Lenin, the joke would make sense, then) if imagined in full (or even as a bust) does not appear big enough to fit inside the head.

*Ahem*
So...yeah

new topics

top topics

join