It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MHD as a means of travel?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I've read a lot about the MHD (Magneto-Hydro-Dynamic), and it is all very interesting. The theories and even applications (Way, as an example, was successful in having a 300kg submarine moving by MHD in 1966!) are mind-boggling!

What do you people think about that MHD being used as a means of travel, at least inside the atmosphere? It seems though that it is impossible to use it in space.

Do you think that some earthly machines use it already?

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   
isnt that the same thing that was in that film red october
yeah it would be incredible although i aint an expert by any level have u gt any links?

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I could not offer you many interesting links, because most of them are in French, I'm Belgian, French speaking, and I try then to find my stuff in French as much as possible.

I can tell you this now, do a simple search on Yahoo (or others should do also) on "MHD" and you'll get plenty of results.

Basically, the MHD is based on this: an electrical field around the object, a magnetic field orthogonal to it, and that creates a force that actually moves the object AND its direct environment, instead of just moving the object IN its environment. (very very summarized)

Doing so can result in absence of the sonic BANG when going above the speed of sound (UFO characteristic), not using any combustion engine (thus no or minor sound, also UFO characteristic), the air ionized by an electric field can be lighted up a bit (also a UFO characteristic), the possibility to hover, move fast or slow, and also to accelerate amazingly fast, because moving your environment removes the g force that you would normally feel if accelerating IN your environment (and another UFO characteristic!), so on...

u2u me if you don't find anything to help you much more, I'll do my best to find good links in english. I'll post them if I have some time to search.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
i speak some french ! but not much im sure i could get it translated anyhow thanks for trying anyhow
ur belgian?
wow nice

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Yes I'm belgian indeed...

OK I have some links in English:
(the difficulty is that the father of MHD, Jean-Pierre Petit, is French, and most of the works on it are published actually in French...)

homepage.ntlworld.com...
www.jp-petit.com...

Also related and interesting, though not technical:

www.sursumcorda.com...

Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Moving the air around you would not remove the G-Forces due to acceleration. It might decrease the friction and allow for higher speeds, but it would not remove the g-forces.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Indeed, not as such. I'm sorry because I've not detailed enough certain things, but, have you read about MHD in details?

Actually, I must say that *some* of the things about it are still very unclear to me. It is a very complex theory. As I understood it, the people inside an object propelled through the air by MHD would not be subject to the forces of the acceleration that their object endures.

It is a bit still too simple maybe. In fact, if one can have electric current around an object, and have from inside this object a magnetic field produced that is orthogonal to the current in the plane of the movement you wish to induce, Laplace's law tells us that that magnetic field creates a force in this place on the current itself. The environment itself around the object moves, the object with it, and since all forces involved are created from within the object but have their point of application outside of it, a person inside the object would not feel the forces involved in the movement that is created. The effect doesn't move the object itself, it moves its referentials.

It does indeed reduce friction greatly by not letting any accumulation on the edges of the moving object. (and thus the absence of sonic bang for example).

Now, ok, I've never personally tested that! But I strongly believe according to what I've read that this is indeed possible.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Yeah but you still need to push off something. What MHD seems to be suggesting is similar to sitting on a metal skateboard and holding a magnet out in front of you. Still not going to go anywhere. Equal and Opposites etc.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Isnt this what happened in project rainbow? The magnetic field done something and shifted it through space and time insted of simply make it invisable to the eye?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Please allow me a comparison to maintain that when subject to a gravity-type force of acceleration you won't feel it if the source of that force is situated away from you, and if it is indeed bringing you closer:

The case of a paratrooper who jumps off the plane is perfect in my view to illustrate that effect. The man will endure 1g of constant acceleration without actually feeling pushed. If a car could accelerate 1g, you would stick to the seats! Actually the difference is precisely in the point where that force applies: in the case of a car, the whole object is the source (because not a single point can be...), and the inertia needs to be beaten to accelerate (quite obvious, no?). In the case of the paratrooper, the force originates outside of the object moving: it is actually the center of the earth that's attracting the guy.

I still think the same way as before, but I am of course ready to accept a good explanation of why or why not it should be.

Regards,

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Yes I know all that, but decreasing the friction from the air has nothing to do with removing inertial effects. Or gravity control. This theory and those links seems to be about decreasing the turbulence cause by the object moving through the air.

Some other links about Magnetohydrodynamics in general
power.about.com...

top topics

join