It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't understand sexism.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I understand favoritism towards someone you like but sexism? I'm 19 and I still don't understand it. I respect women who I talk to and I learned how to respect girls when I was in high-school. I've seen the way some guys treat girls before and I didn't want to end up that way so when I was in high-school I worked on communicating with the opposite sex. But, I don't really understand now what leads people to be sexist. Do they feel inferior for some reason to women so they feel like they must discriminate against them? I understand that people of the opposite sex are attracted to each other, as, we all experience this, but I don't understand what this sexism is all about. Please someone enlighten me on our unequal culture...

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
I understand favoritism towards someone you like but sexism? I'm 19 and I still don't understand it. I respect women who I talk to and I learned how to respect girls when I was in high-school. I've seen the way some guys treat girls before and I didn't want to end up that way so when I was in high-school I worked on communicating with the opposite sex. But, I don't really understand now what leads people to be sexist. Do they feel inferior for some reason to women so they feel like they must discriminate against them? I understand that people of the opposite sex are attracted to each other, as, we all experience this, but I don't understand what this sexism is all about. Please someone enlighten me on our unequal culture...
sexism isn't about favoritism nor communication. Sexism is based on fairness of treatment between both genders. Women being on offense, most likely. The way women are treated by men is not sexism. That is a perspective choice on how women deserve to be treated. Sexism is based on equality, usually in the workplace. Or in world and social structures where women want equal say in matters. Men don't feel inferior so much as they don't understand what women want in my opinion. Do they want to be treated like men? No and yes, and that depends on the woman. Women I see who are sexist want the same pay as men, or the same respect as men. Basically.
Being a sexist pig,on the other hand, is about men having no respect for women in general or their feelings. To be treated as if they are the lessor of the species.
Most women are not exactly sexist, but do want to be considered an equal, especially in a relationship with a man.
Its about rights not attraction.

Hope that helped a little.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
education.jlab.org...
esciencenews.com...
It is a little confusing to understand and some of us can't see that despite our different charges we are all equals.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

I don't think you see the whole picture. Women are treated unfairly by a lot of men and well if you don't know that I guess you haven't been around a lot of men. The thing is that although women have the same rights as we do there is still discrimination against them by mass stereotyping by the media and various groups in the US and the world. I'm reading some books on feminism right now... basically it's that this stereotype is what angers them with how there is no real stereotype that's negative against men but there is one against women. I don't understand why the need for this stereotype is there.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I see what your saying and i especialy in the industry i work in its a male dominated buisness, and every women i know it takes a hell of alot to get respected by men in the industry,
I think that there are stereotypes for both sexes but i think women speak up more about it.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

I don't think you see the whole picture. Women are treated unfairly by a lot of men and well if you don't know that I guess you haven't been around a lot of men. The thing is that although women have the same rights as we do there is still discrimination against them by mass stereotyping by the media and various groups in the US and the world. I'm reading some books on feminism right now... basically it's that this stereotype is what angers them with how there is no real stereotype that's negative against men but there is one against women. I don't understand why the need for this stereotype is there.
lmao. I have been around plenty, and I didn't say they werent treated unfairly. Stereotyping women has been done forever, so has stereotyping men. Why do you think men have such a hard time figuring out what women want? The stereotypes are for generalizing. It is a tool to put things easily into categories.
Women are from my perspective not treated respectfully, and in some cases unfairly.
If you are talking extremes of abuse and such then that is not even sexism, but violence and control. Disrespect by men in a work world is totally a different matter in sexism than what a husband thinks his wife or mother deserves. imo

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I know that stereotypes of both men and women exist but stereotypes of women are around that oppress women and I think that we should change this so there are NO stereotypes that are degrading to either sexes. Women have a lot to deal with, because movies portray them as sex objects, they are continually harassed and as you said men have no idea of what they want because movies make them disillusioned as to what women really are like. And as for Men, movies portray us as tough guys, when there are people like me who just want to be here and relax and not cause many problems and films casts people like us as social outcasts. I wish we could do away with this discrimination entirely. The world would be a lot better off if we did.

top topics

join