It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Obama End The DU Environmental Hell The U.S. Military Has Created?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
While many Americans are extremely concerned with global warming, very few Americans are even aware of the absolute environmental hell that the U.S. military has created in Afghanistan and Iraq by using depleted uranium munitions in those nations.

Under President George W. Bush, the United States has been using thousands upon thousands of tons of depleted uranium munitions - dirty bombs made from nuclear waste - in their wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The resulting devastation from using these dirty nuclear weapons is a crime against humanity of the utmost magnitude and it is time for Barack Obama to declare that he will permanently ban these weapons:

futurestorm.blogspot.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I wish you could find more credible sources than a blog.If this is true this should be taken to task.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MandM

"Thousands and thousands of tons?" Well, just a bit of hyperbole going on there. Isn't the total stock of DU for the US something like 480000 tons? With the Russians running a close second?

www.wise-uranium.org...

Bush is always the blame. Sure, we are using them in Iraq in 2003, but also in the First Gulf War (Bush, Sr) and in Bosnia (Clinton).

The US has had DU as a kinetic penetrator since the late 1970's, after other materials got too expensive.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
If you want more credible sources, I have an old thread on here that goes into some detail...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
If you haven't been following the news, they are going to start using that crap to irradiate our food, I guess the international pressure to stop using it in weapons finally got to be too much so they found a better use for it.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
He's not gonna ban anything! He'll more likely promote them. Wait and see, people really make me laugh if they think obama is gonna save everyone.. Im sick of trying to wake people up from there thick ignorance. Cant you get it through your heads, HE WOULDNT BE IN POWER IF HE WAS GOOD! Ron paul is a perfect example.. C'mon people please..

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I have to respond to this ridiculous post. I recently retired from the 508th PIR as a 13 Bravo. The US military has a very strict policy and compliance manual about explosives/munitions.

Yes, it is true that there has been some exposure to that what you mention but no where near the levels of PEL some think of. Thats why the Army uses electronic chemical detection equipment to intercept the problem before it spreads. It is very vigilant in its effort to protect people and equipment.

All munitions that are classified as such are policed up and put in the proper enviromentally sealed storage containers. I've been there done it and got the t shirt, to make a long dragged out response short. Don't believe everything you hear.

I did 2 tours in Iraq and one in Afghanistan and I came out fine and I utilized the stuff for over 6 months.

There were similiar stories going around in Desert Storm also.

I can tell you this as far as my experience go's. Most of the DU I messed with was:

30mm GAU 8 avenger guns
M230 chaingun
GAU 12 equalizer cannon
20mm M197 gun
M61 Vulcan gatling gun
120 sabat rounds from M1A1 and A2 tanks
Also used as plate armor for M1A2 and M1A1HA.

The US military has an excellent safety program with DU, its the other countries you should be worried about. Poor, not educated, safety not an issue, anarchy in chain of commands, crooked political leaders etc...

If you really have concerns maybe you should try the international coalition to ban uranium weapons.

[edit on 21-12-2008 by hardeeboy]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
"Thousands and thousands of tons?" Well, just a bit of hyperbole going on there. Isn't the total stock of DU for the US something like 480000 tons?

480,000 tons IS thousands upon thousands of tons... It's not an exaggeration.

As regards Obama ending the DU problem... He sure does have a lot on his plate. I would hope he would see this as one of the more important military issues.

top topics

join