It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brainier men have better sperm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Interesting evolutinary thread stating that smarters guy have better sperm to reproduce.

So why is it humans dont appear to be moving forward with their rationality and overall physical health?

news.bbc.co.uk...

The researchers found that, independently of age and lifestyle, intelligence was correlated with all three measures of semen quality. The correlations were small but highly statistically significant, according to lead researcher Rosalind Arden. "This does not mean that men who prefer Play-Doh™ to Plato always have poor sperm: the relationship we found was marginal. But our results do support the theoretically important 'fitness factor' idea. We look forward to seeing if the results can be replicated in other data sets," she added.

[edit on 18-12-2008 by Ashley_T]

[edit: added source link]

[edit on 18-12-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
By better do you mean more potent or that We make better babies?

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Thats the thing - apparently You make better babies.

Come to think of it, thats how genetics work.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well you asked why dont we see any advancement with rational (smarts) and physical health, what does that suggest to you?

The logical conclusion would be...that apparently...it isnt true nor is it working. That report is obviously incorrect and makes for good ego stimulation more than anything else.

Cheers!!!!!

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ashley_T

The researchers found that, independently of age and lifestyle, intelligence was correlated with all three measures of semen quality.

Uh oh, my kid is gonna be dumb as rocks!

[edit on 12/18/2008 by hikix]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
evolution is slow..

think about it we managed to make it to the very top of the totem pole, we've obviously been doing something right.

oh and what is the average life span today vs. say 400 years ago? its working just slowly.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I'm sure humans are becoming more intelligent, it's just that there are very few niches in society where people are challenged and encouraged to stretch themselves enough for us to see this greater intelligence applied in any substantial way.

When was the last time you were pushed to the point that you had to grow intellectually in order to reach whatever goal you were after?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Since I deem myself smart, I will lay down my life in order to further progress our evolution........I know I know.....but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to take.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
im wondering, could the opposite be true? could having better sperm make one brainier? Its an interesting OP. At least now i know why i have so many smart (alec) kids lol

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Smart people may make better babies, but dumb people make more babies.
That's why you don't notice the difference in the masses.
Evolution's a numbers game.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
It may be working, but to put it bluntly for every smart man that has a child theres probably five less educated people who have a child...

Numbers would hide any difference we might have seen...

new topics

top topics

join