It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama picks MONSANTO guy as head of agriculture... This'll be some interesting change, won't it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck
For those of you who want a real outlook on this situation, without the paranoid spin, here is a piece about it:

Tom Vilsack

lol @ "paranoid spin"

from the article you just linked:

Vilsack has been a strong supporter of biotechnology. He was named Governor of the Year in 2001 by the Biotechnology Industry Organization.

Interesting, let's take a look at who's on the board of directors for this "Biotechnology Industry Organization:"

www.bio.org...

Pharmacia Corporation
Merck & Co., Inc.
Pfizer, Inc.

outstanding. I'm happy to know that Vilsack is supported by Merck and Pfizer, I mean, it's the little guys that really count.

I fail to see how this article was without spin. It was about 10% relevant facts and the other 90% were fluffer (he likes to run, he was in an orphanage, etc.)

I'm far more interested in the types of connections these guys have to big business, especially in regards to companies like Monsanto, Merck and Pfizer. Thanks for leading the paranoid people such as myself onto even more reasons to dislike this pick.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

No problem. He uses a stapler sometimes at work too, if you want to add that onto the list of things you accuse him of that mean nothing. Yes, my source is clearly so biased by telling his life story, yet your source, Organic Consumers has no agenda (oh, other than trashing any other food source than organic food).

Pardon me if I am not stocking up on food yet, you haven't quite convinced me that I should be concerned. You call him "Monsanto guy", yet you have no real reason other than this:

The airplane in this animation is a referral to the controversy that Vilsack often traveled in Monsanto's jet.

[edit on 12/20/2008 by Irish M1ck]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Do you know what biotechnology is? I get the feeling you think it's synonymous with genetic engineering. It's not.

Biotechnology is the use of biological processes, organisms, or systems to manufacture products intended to improve the quality of human life. The earliest biotechnologists were farmers who developed improved species of plants and animals by cross pollenization or cross breeding. In recent years, biotechnology has expanded in sophistication, scope, and applicability.

From the original source:

Governor Vilsack is not a "Monsanto" guy. He is primarily attacked as being a Monsanto advocate because he supported a seed bill dealing with "genetically engineered" crops. The bill simply kept individual counties from drawing arbitrary lines on where GE crops can be planted. I consider this a smart move because the hype against GE plans is as silly as the hype against Nuclear Power plants. Regardless, this hardly puts him in Monsanto's bag.

I've seen so many threads like this lately that claim: Obama picked (insert name or descriptor here) for his cabinet! Now I KNOW he's the devil! And as I read the posts, I see replies like: "Now I'm really scared" or "This does it! He's worse than I thought" or "You're kidding me! THAT guy? This isn't CHANGE"

In other words, the responses don't contain any more information than the original post. I get the impression that you guys don't know about him either, you are just using it as an excuse to blast Obama.

If I'm wrong, let me know. WHy don't you like the guy? Specifically. If you could give me some REAL information about this guy (Does he work for Monsanto, for example?) perhaps I could form an opinion. Because I don't know the guy at all. And I mean sources, not a cartoon without sources or credits that's apparently one guy's opinion.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Thanks Scientist! This is going into my Obama reseach file right away!
The stuff that is stacking up on Obama is not looking good for any of us.
And he has not even taken office offically and is already being a good little puppet for his masters..

Monsanto.. You have to be kidding me!!! These S.O.B want to control our food supply!! They are up to no good, and are rotten to the very core!

This just shows me another puppet is playing the game.. But this time around people like Obama.. So he can do no wrong, and will further divide us to the point where if I make a remark about Obama..
Then Im a right winger!! When for the past 8 years on ATS Ive been labled a left wing liberal!! haha funny how things turn about when you control the hearts and minds of people.

Obama.. Yeah thats real change there buddy.. Ive got my eye on you.
And you have not even taken office yet..
What kind of horros will we endure upon his watch??

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

He flew in their jet at one point. They seem to know that for sure. Well, at least an organic website said so.

How could you not be concerned?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I was an ardent Obama supporter, but I do not support this cabinet pick. And yeah, I think the fact that Vilsack uses a Monsanto corporate jet says a lot. Furthermore, he supports the biggest green-washing fraud of all - ethanol. And factory farms. Need I go on?

In case people forgot or don't know about Monsanto:

The World According to Monsanto

More info/opinion on Vilsack:

www.counterpunch.org...

The Secretary of Agriculture is responsible for directing the U.S. Department of Agriculture and its $97 billion annual budget, including the National Organic Program, food stamp and nutrition programs, agriculture subsidies, and the Forest Service.

While Vilsack has worked to restrain livestock monopolies, his overall record is one of aiding and abetting Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFOs, also known as factory farms). Vilsack’s support for unsustainable industrial ethanol production has already caused global corn and grain prices to skyrocket, literally taking food off the table.

Vilsack’s business as usual positions have included the following:

• Vilsack has been a strong supporter of genetically engineered pharmaceutical crops, especially pharmaceutical corn.

• The biggest biotechnology industry group, the Biotechnology Industry Organization, named Vilsack Governor of the Year. He is also the founder and former chair of the Governor's Biotechnology Partnership.

• When Vilsack created the Iowa Values Fund, his first poster child for economic development was Trans Ova and their pursuit of cloning dairy cows.

• The undemocratic 2005 seed pre-emption bill was the Vilsack’s brainchild. The law strips local government’s right to regulate genetically engineered seed.

• Vilsack is an ardent supporter of corn and soy based biofuels, which use as much or more energy to produce as they generate and drive up world food prices, literally starving the poor.

pameladrew.newsvine.com...

www.fooddemocracynow.org...

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
If I'm wrong, let me know. WHy don't you like the guy? Specifically. If you could give me some REAL information about this guy (Does he work for Monsanto, for example?) perhaps I could form an opinion. Because I don't know the guy at all. And I mean sources, not a cartoon without sources or credits that's apparently one guy's opinion.

Originally posted by Irish M1ck

He flew in their jet at one point. They seem to know that for sure. Well, at least an organic website said so.

How could you not be concerned?

source:

www.opednews.com...

Iowans also remember the rides on Monsanto's corporate jet that Vilsack - the Biotech "Governor of the Year" - enjoyed during his time in office. He repayed Monsanto by working with the Republican floor manager in the House, promising to do everything he could to get a seed bill to pass. This bill took away county power to regulate GMOs within county borders.

[edit on 20-12-2008 by scientist]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
more actual links to Monsanto:

www.organicconsumers.org...

1. In February 2004 Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack gave Monsanto
(Muscatine, Iowa branch) two awards, part-sponsored by his own
office, for "environmental excellence" - one a "special recognition
for energy efficiency/renewable energy", and the other a "special
recognition for air quality".

Monsanto Muscatine manufactures glyphosate herbicide and enjoys a
permit from the Iowa Dept of Natural Resources to emit 13.2 tons per
year of volatile organic compounds www.iowadnr.com...
Greenpeace comments: "Monsanto's Muscatine, Iowa plant, which
produces alachlor, butachlor and other highly toxic compounds,
releases at least 265,000 pounds of chemicals per year directly into
the Mississippi."

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Specifically. If you could give me some REAL information about this guy (Does he work for Monsanto, for example?) perhaps I could form an opinion. Because I don't know the guy at all. And I mean sources, not a cartoon without sources or credits that's apparently one guy's opinion.

OK, here are some things for you to consider regarding Vilsack and agriculture:

Six Reasons Why Obama Appointing Monsanto's Buddy, Former Iowa Governor Vilsack, for USDA Head Would be a Terrible Idea

* Organic Consumers Association, November 12, 2008

* Former Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack's support of genetically engineered pharmaceutical crops, especially pharmaceutical corn:
www.gene.ch...

* The biggest biotechnology industry group, the Biotechnology Industry Organization, named Vilsack Governor of the Year. He was also the founder and former chair of the Governor's Biotechnology Partnership.
www.bio.org...

* When Vilsack created the Iowa Values Fund, his first poster child of economic development potential was Trans Ova and their pursuit of cloning dairy cows.

* Vilsack was the origin of the seed pre-emption bill in 2005, which many people here in Iowa fought because it took away local government's possibility of ever having a regulation on seeds- where GE would be grown, having GE-free buffers, banning pharma corn locally, etc. Representative Sandy Greiner, the Republican sponsor of the bill, bragged on the House Floor that Vilsack put her up to it right after his state of the state address.

*Vilsack is an ardent support of corn and soy based biofuels, which use as much or more fossil energy to produce them as they generate, while driving up world food prices and literally starving the poor.

* Vilsack has a glowing reputation as being a schill for agribusiness biotech giants like Monsanto. Sustainable ag advocated across the country were spreading the word of Vilsack's history as he was attempting to appeal to voters in his presidential bid. An activist from the west coast even made this youtube animation about Vilsack
www.youtube.com...

That is not the opinion of one person, but the concern of 850,000 members of the Organic Consumers Association:

The OCA represents over 850,000 members, subscribers and volunteers, including several thousand businesses in the natural foods and organic marketplace. Our US and international policy board is broadly representative of the organic, family farm, environmental, and public interest community.

The Organic Consumers Association was formed in 1998 in the wake of the mass backlash by organic consumers against the U.S. Department of Agriculture's controversial proposed national regulations for organic food. Through the OCA's SOS (Safeguard Organic Standards) Campaign, as well as the work of our allies in other organizations, the organic community over the last eight years has been able to mobilize hundreds of thousands of consumers to pressure the USDA and organic companies to preserve strict organic standards. In its public education, network building, and mobilization activities such as its Breaking the Chains campaign, OCA works with a broad range of public interest organizations to challenge industrial agriculture, corporate globalization, and the Wal-Martization of the economy, and inspire consumers to "Buy Local, Organic, and Fair Made."

source: www.organicconsumers.org...

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
as an obama supporter i am, not or the first time, disappointed in this selection.

biotechnology, no matter how you try to spin it, comes down to GE in today's world, and GE is not something i am into.

i have not given up hope that there will be changes in 'business as usual' in washington, but my hope is fading.

this choice along with larry 'toxic waste' summers give me the creeps. there are others as well.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

For those of you who want a real outlook on this situation, without the paranoid spin, here is a piece about it:

From your source:

Vilsack has been a strong supporter of biotechnology. He was named Governor of the Year in 2001 by the Biotechnology Industry Organization.

There is your "REAL OUTLOOK"

Under Obama there will be no "genetically modified", chemically conconcted, pesticide laden, crops.

We'll call them biotech! Now everything is peachy!

Go back to the grocery store America and enjoy your same old monsanto dinner in new packaging.

Paranoid Unspun

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
In other words.. buy our stuff or starve.

That's right.

It's all part of the NWO Bildeberger plan. Their tool - Obama - is absolutely marching in lock step with them. The handwriting is on the wall.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

Here is a middle of the road group's take on Vilsack. R-Calf has been fighting the USDA tooth and nail so I am inclined to go along with them.

R-Calf news release about Sec of Ag pick:

www.r-calfusa.com...

Here is info on his reaction to a change in the reporting status of the national guard
www.onyour6.com...

Here is negative stuff with specifics
www.harvestdream.org.../archives/60-Ethanol,-Biotech-Ag,-Carbon-Credits,-NAIS-and-BENS-Iowa-Gov.-Tom-Vilsack.html

[edit on 25-12-2008 by crimvelvet]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
On the dangers of genetically engineering/Monsanto:

findarticles.com...

When scientists actually look, what they see can be terrifying. A few years ago, a German biotech company engineered a common soil bacterium, Klebsiella planticola, to help break down wood chips, corn stalks, wastes from lumber businesses and agriculture, and to produce ethanol in the process. It seemed like a great achievement. The genetically engineered Klebsiella bacterium could help break down rotting organic material and in the process produce a fuel that could be used instead of gasoline, thus lessening the production of greenhouse gases.

It was assumed that the post-process waste could be added to soil as an amendment, like compost. Everybody would win. With the approval of the EPA, the company field tested the bacterium at Oregon State University.
As far as the intended goals were concerned -- eliminating rotting organic waste and producing ethanol -- the genetically engineered bacterium was a success. But when a doctoral student named Michael Holmes decided to add the post-processed waste to actual living soil, something happened that no one expected. The seeds that were planted in soil mixed with the engineered Klebsiella sprouted, but then every single one of them died.

What killed them? The genetically engineered Klebsiella turned out to be highly competitive with native soil micro-organisms. Plants are only able to take nitrogen and other nourishment from the soil with the help of fungi called mycorrhizae. These fungi live in the soil and help make nutrients available to plant roots. But when the genetically engineered Klebsiella was introduced into living soils, it greatly reduced the population of mycorrhizal fungi in the soil. And without healthy mycorrhizal fungi in soils, no plants can survive…

Geneticist David Suzuki understands that what took place was truly ominous. "The genetically engineered Klebsiella," he says, "could have ended all plant life on this continent. The implications of this single case are nothing short of terrifying."

Meanwhile Monsanto and the other biotech companies are eagerly developing all kinds of genetically modified organisms, hoping to bring them to market. How do we know if they're safe? According to Suzuki: "We don't, and won't for years after they are being widely used."

[edit on 26/12/2008 by kosmicjack]

[edit on 26/12/2008 by kosmicjack]

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
some might say,
keep you friends close and keep your enemies closer

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

"Even at Monsanto, many in-the-know employees won't consume the company's own GM creations."

By Jeffrey Smith April 1, 2009

NewsWithViews.com

If President Obama's new Food Safety Working Group dedicates all their time and credentials to prevent future food recalls, they will have saved thousands of people--but forsaken millions. Over the last decade, our radically changing diet has ushered in the explosive growth of food-related ailments, such as allergies, asthma, obesity, diabetes, autism, infertility, gastro-intestinal disorders, and learning disabilities. Of all the changes in our food, the most dangerous transformation was the introduction of genetically modified (GM) crops.

When these gene-spliced concoctions, such as GM soy, corn, canola, and cottonseed, came on the scene in 1996, the proportion of Americans suffering from three or more chronic ailments. After just 9 years, that nearly doubled to 13%. GM foods are the prime suspect. Government policy at odds with science Until now, the government has sidestepped the controversy by hiding behind FDA policy, which asserts that genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are "substantially equivalent" to natural foods and therefore don't require any safety studies. But as Obama acknowledged, "many of the laws and regulations governing food safety in America" are outdated.

In truth, the FDA's GMO policy was not even up-to-date when it was implemented in May 1992. FDA documents made public from a lawsuit revealed that virtually all the agency scientists asked to comment voiced strong warnings that GMOs may cause serious health problems. But the FDA was under orders from the White House to fast track GM foods, and the person in charge of FDA policy was the former attorney of biotech giant Monsanto--and later become their vice president. The scientists and the science were ignored.

Now that animals fed GMOs--in labs and farms around the world--have exhibited symptoms related to the growing list of diseases in the US population, the President's Food Safety team, including Dr. Margaret Hamburg as FDA Commissioner, must update GMO regulation. A scientifically sound regulation would translate into an immediate ban of current GM crops, and the implementation of rigorous safety testing requirements before any GMO was put back into the food supply. And certainly mandatory labeling, as promised

Presidents and industry insiders avoid GMOs The Obama family has wisely opted out of exposing themselves to GM foods by requiring organic--and therefore non-GMO--foods served at the White House. They are even planting an organic garden on the south lawn of the White House, to feature 55 types of vegetables. The Bush family also had an organic kitchen policy. Laura Bush was "adamant" about it, but kept it all quiet. Even at Monsanto, many in-the-know employees won't consume the company's own GM creations. Back in 1999, the management of the cafeteria at Monsanto's UK headquarters in High Wycombe, England wrote: "In response to concern raised by our customers . . . we have decided to remove, as far as possible, genetically modified soy and maize (corn) from all food products served in our restaurant. . . . We have taken the above steps to ensure that you, the customer, can feel confident in the food we serve." And one former Monsanto scientist told me that his colleagues, who were safety testing milk from cows injected with the company's genetically engineered bovine growth hormone, decided to stop drinking milk--unless it was organic.

It's now time to let us all opt out of this dangerous and failed GM experiment. If Obama's team is serious about food safety and public health, they must take GMOs off our plates and put them back into the laboratory. © 2008 Jeffrey Smith - All Rights Reserved

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Obama has nominated Jim Young Kim, major shareholder ties to Monsanto, Bill Gates & Soros.. and Global Eugenics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join