It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistani 'Death penalty for blasphemy' rethink urged

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

The UK's Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, on a visit to Pakistan, has asked its president to look at the nation's blasphemy law.
The law says desecrating the Koran is punishable by death. Christians say it is used as an excuse to attack them.

Last week Muslims torched churches and a convent school in Punjab province after accusing a Christian of burning Islam's holy book.

Dr Williams said he feared the law was being used to settle scores.

"ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - A Pakistani man was sentenced to death for blasphemy on Wednesday after he defiled the Muslim holy book and used derogatory language to refer to the Prophet Mohammad, a police official said."
www.reuters.com...

Is it any wonder islamic countries like this enjoy their current negative reputation in the world when their officials and lawmakers are so desperately and hystericaly insecure that they make it punishable by death if a person does not mindlessly conform to the state religion?

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

The blasphemy law in Pakistan is found in several sections of the Pakistan Penal Code, including Section 295 B and C and 298 A, B, and C. It imposes a variety of penalties for different forms of blasphemy, including the death penalty for anyone found to have "by words or visible representation or by an imputation or insinuation, directly or indirectly, defiled the name of the Muhammad of Islam".
Similarly anyone blamed as a blasphemer against the Koran would be awarded life imprisonment under section 295/C.

Among Muslim-majority countries, Pakistan has very strict anti-blasphemy law.
In 1982, President Zia ul-Haq introduced Section 295B to the Pakistan Penal Code punishing "defiling the Holy Qur'an" with life imprisonment. In 1986, Section 295C was introduced, mandating the death penalty for "use of derogatory remarks in respect of the Holy Prophet".

The Pakistani Catholic bishops' Justice and Peace Commission complained in July 2005 that since 1988, some 650 people had been falsely accused and arrested under the blasphemy law. Moreover, over the same period, some 20 people accused of the same offense had been killed.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Errr.....it was urged to be rethought almost 4 years ago, according to that article. And the article about the man sentenced to death is almost a year old. If I am not mistaken, I believe he was let free. Why such ancient news? What brought it up now? Do you have any statistics about how many have been charged with blasphemy since 2005 (aside from that one person in that article, I mean)? And how many executed?

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

Whilst I respect your steadfast defence of Islam in the face of what is sometimes pretty hostile posting I must say that you also seem to defend it blindly and brook no criticism whatsoever.

I accept your points that the OP dates from a while ago, however, it is still relevant as the law has not been repealed and bearing in mind the current climate in Pakistan it is probably going to be enforced more rigourously.

www.rationalistinternational.net...

en.wikipedia.org...

Here is the account of one man who has valiantly tried to oppose the march of fundamentalism within Pakistan and has been a victim of it' blasphemy laws.

www.mukto-mona.com...

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I wasn't defending anything. Pakistan's Blasphemy laws are pretty idiotic. I was just pointing out that everyone keeps linking to ancient news. Like that case with the doctor you linked to. Tragic stuff, but it is 6 year old news. That article is still appealing to 'President Musharraf"! I was just asking for something more recent. Recent figures.

As I see it, while the law is still in place, things seem to have softened up a bit, and somewhat caved into International pressure, while still keeping the pride intact by having the law up there in name. Fewer convictions, fewer sentences, etc. Besides, I'd think that it would be more pertinent for Pakistan to deal with some of the more urgent problems first (a corrupt President, Talibanisation of half the country, rising militancy, etc), then something that caused 20 deaths in 20 years. Not to say that this issue isn't unimportant, though.

top topics

join