It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for some help in the "Speaking in Tongues" department

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
First off, many thanks in advance if you decide to try and help me here.

Here's my quandary. I was raised in a mainstream judeo-christian family which for the purposes of hopefully keeping this thread ontrack, I'll just keep to myself for the time being. As I've gotten older, I find myself investigating and looking into other religions and well even some non-religious areas too. I'm trying to keep an open mind as I now find it increasingly hard to believe that there is only "one true religion" in the universe. But that should be a mute point and please don't let that be a distraction.

So what is the point of this thread?

Well in my attempts to examine and research numerous faiths and areas of spirituality, there is a event scenario that I've never been able to quite understand and I'm hoping that the wisdom and expertise of this forum might be able to share some insight with me on, and that is in regards to the act of speaking in tongues.

Now what i'd like is to actually get some responses from those that have experienced this phenomena. I'm hoping to gain a better understanding of what it actually is and how it affects you before, during and after the event. Think of me as a complete blank sheet of paper and take me through the steps/events as they happen to you. Help me be able to visualize and perhaps grasp a better understanding of whats happening to you during this time/event.

For example so that I can get a better idea, I've broken down a few areas of interest;

(1) What age did you first personally experience one of these events.

(2) What were the physical feelings you had before, during and after?

(3) Did someone else have to translate your event?

(3a) And if so, how accurate do you feel their translation was?

(4) Do all members in your family also speak in tongues?

(4a) If so, does it only happen when your in church or can happen anytime (please list examples).

(5) Are you still mentally conscious (in your own right mind) when your having one of these events?

(6) What is the longest amount of time you experienced in one of these events?

(7) Are there any aspects that you are aware of during these periods (IE: smells, sounds, buzzing in the head, etc.)

(8) Have you ever been hurt (emotionally, physically, mentally) during or after an event? (IE: Falling to the ground, headaches, loss of sight/sound/thinking, etc.)

(9) If you were to change your faith and belief structure, do you think you would still receive these events? (Follow-up; If you have changed your belief system, do the events persist, are they different, please expand).

(10) Have there ever been any other strange events that were associated (or thought to possibly be associated) with your (or someone else's) event? (IE: lights dimming, people around you had ringing in their ears, objects physically moved, visions or visual aspects occurred, etc.)

I have a few others but this will help me get rolling in my research and better understanding. After answering the above (and please either copy and paste them or list a numerical order to match your answer to the above query), then please feel free to make any small summation or additional information you care to share about the events itself.

PLEASE NOTE: I realize that many will have the temptation to get on the pulpit here and do a bit of preaching. But please... This is not that type of thread, it is a research thread and we are looking for strictly a "cause and effect" question and answer scenario. I can see this quickly becoming an area where bickering, finger-pointing and my religion is better than your religion could occur. So please respect my wishes and as hard as it will be, lets keep the Dogma aspect out of it and work on just answering the questions outlined for a scientific record. I don't need scriptural quotes or historical reasons for why events may or may not be happening. My research can not have any use for personal conjecture. Stick to the script.

[edit on 18-12-2008 by Wingz]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Hi Wingz.
Interesting set of questions there but before i attempt to answer any of them, let me explain the reason why tongues is used by myself.

I speak in tongues mainly when i pray alone. Why, well i use it as a way of expressing my feelings to God. Let me explain.

If you want to tell a loved one how you feel, how can you express that love.
You can say "I love you" or "I love you with all my heart". But does that really convey what you are going through. The shiver up your spine when you see them after an absence, the quickening heartbeat, the quiver in your liver as i say. No, the words we know cannot convey how we really feel.

This is where tongues comes in for me. I believe that when i am speaking in tongues that i am saying what is in my heart and the holy spirit is doing the translating for me.

I pray anytime, whilst driving to work for instance or any time that i am alone with God.
I have heard someone pray in tongues in church once and someone translated it into Gods word, that was only on one occasion though.

I would also say that only around 10% of Christians speak in tongues. You have to ask for the gift from God and even then you may not get it.
I know of a minister who is a very Godly man and uses the gifts of the spirit often but he can not speak in tongues even after 20 years as a minister.
My daughter began speaking in tongues after being a Christian for onley 4 or 5 weeks.
I think this answeres some of your questions but not all as some of them are not relevent.

Hope this helps
John.

P.S. I will try to answer your questions in order tomorrow as i have things to do now..

[edit on 18-12-2008 by jon1]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Wingz

But please... This is not that type of thread, it is a research thread and we are looking for strictly a "cause and effect" question and answer scenario.

I realize you are trying to conduct some type of research, but you aren't going to get a fair "sampling" to come to a conclusion. Your questions are phrased from an acedemic perspective and that "leaves me out".

The reason it leaves me out is because you (seem) to be looking for "natural" answers about the Spirit of God and that just ain't going to happen:

1 Cor. 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

In other words... your questions are asked in such a way that it precludes those who have experience from answering. (At least me, anyway.) The questions you ask are either errant (from a Biblical standpoint) or irrelevant (from a Biblical standpoint).

So please respect my wishes and as hard as it will be, lets keep the Dogma aspect out of it and work on just answering the questions outlined for a scientific record.

This is why I cannot help you with your survey. You've set the entire thread up (in my understanding) to ask people to talk about God without talking about the Bible.

I don't have much to say about tongues...outside of the Bible.

But I will honor your request to "stay out of this discussion" (from now on) unless asked specifically by you to comment again.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
First I like to point Out that I have never spoke in tongues. But I dont think you can make your speak in tongues. Its a gift of God. And I personal believe it can only be down by the spirit of God. That said I have had experiences in witnessing it. And I will answer your questions based on that plat form.

Originally posted by Wingz

I like 20 at the time. And I am now 25 now.

My feelings we I was unconquerable. I was in a church that I was at before and I didn't realize it till just before the event.

No one translated at all. But again I did not understand what they said. I don't think speaking in tongues you can just understand what is said. Its just between you and God.

(3a) And if so, how accurate do you feel their translation was?

NA

None of my family is Really Christian. Just me. And if one speaks in tongues I don't think they know it. I remember a story of a kid at the time telling me someone told him he was speaking in tongues. He didn't believe it.

Originally posted by Wingz(4a) If so, does it only happen when your in church or can happen anytime (please list examples).

Both times it happen in church. But I don't think only church it can happen. In the new testament in act the disciples did it in houses too.

Originally posted by Wingz(5) Are you still mentally conscious (in your own right mind) when your having one of these events?

I never had one of this events on my own.

The one time event I wittiness happen for about 5 MAYBE 10 minutes.

(7) Are there any aspects that you are aware of during these periods (IE: smells, sounds, buzzing in the head, etc.)

NA didn't experience myself

Originally posted by Wingz(8) Have you ever been hurt (emotionally, physically, mentally) during or after an event? (IE: Falling to the ground, headaches, loss of sight/sound/thinking, etc.)

NA

(9) If you were to change your faith and belief structure, do you think you would still receive these events? (Follow-up; If you have changed your belief system, do the events persist, are they different, please expand).

NA

(10) Have there ever been any other strange events that were associated (or thought to possibly be associated) with your (or someone else's) event? (IE: lights dimming, people around you had ringing in their ears, objects physically moved, visions or visual aspects occurred, etc.)

None of that happen at the time. I believe they just stop praying.

I would like to say I know you where looking for someone who spoke in tongues. I thought what little information might help. God bless

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I do not think the current Charismatic definition of speaking in tongues has any credibility at all. ANYONE can open their mouth, spit out syllables, and "Speak in tongues."

I think what the Bible describes is a spiritual ability to listen to a person speaking in any languege, and understand the intent behind the words instead of the words themselves. LIke a person can listen to a song in any language, and understand if it is happy/sad/romantic, ect.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jon1
Hi Wingz.
Interesting set of questions there but before i attempt to answer any of them, let me explain the reason why tongues is used by myself.

I speak in tongues mainly when i pray alone. Why, well i use it as a way of expressing my feelings to God. Let me explain.

P.S. I will try to answer your questions in order tomorrow as i have things to do now..

Thank You for your response jon1. I really look forward to reading your answers to my query tomorrow.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by PreTribGuy

I realize you are trying to conduct some type of research, but you aren't going to get a fair "sampling" to come to a conclusion. Your questions are phrased from an acedemic perspective and that "leaves me out".

The reason it leaves me out is because you (seem) to be looking for "natural" answers about the Spirit of God and that just ain't going to happen:

In other words... your questions are asked in such a way that it precludes those who have experience from answering. (At least me, anyway.) The questions you ask are either errant (from a Biblical standpoint) or irrelevant (from a Biblical standpoint).

I'm sorry that your trying to throw some other type spin on this other than my trying to get answers on the "event" itself. I'm not looking for "natural" answers about the spirit of God.. I'm looking for and attempting to better understand each individuals 'personal experience'. I'm sorry that you feel you can not participate as I'm sure your experiences (if you have personally had them) would be very helpful.

You've set the entire thread up (in my understanding) to ask people to talk about God without talking about the Bible. I don't have much to say about tongues...outside of the Bible.

I appreciate your honesty and feelings. I knew it might be difficult for many to place themselves "outside of the box" (so to speak) with my questions. One of the most difficult things for me to do as I search and try to "gleen" as much information as I can about the various religious aspects of someones faith is attempting to do so without outside influence or my previous research in a different faith-based religion.

But I would like to encourage you that if perhaps you have witnessed or perhaps been a part of someone "Speaking in Tongues", to attempt to share that with me. The reason why I made these questions up with the request of leaving out a "Sermon on the Mound" aspect is because I have that information already collected. I have read and compiled the scriptural end of it. That is why it is not needed. I'm also attempting to keep this thread on track so that it doesn't get derailed with a "I Say-You Say" shouting match which can become so prevalent when people of different faith speak of such things in a open forum.

Again thanks for your honesty, if you feel you can share according to the set guidelines then that would be great, if not, then again I completely understand and wish you all the best.

:Typos:

[edit on 18-12-2008 by Wingz]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Wingz

OK, I will try my best to answer your questions.

I became a Christian when i was 47 yrs old and began speaking in tongues at 48.

None, however, i felt more spiritually alive after praying in tongues.

No, I usually pray in tongues in private.

No, just myself, my wife and my daughter. My son does not speak in tongues.

(4a) If so, does it only happen when your in church or can happen anytime (please list examples).

It can happen anytime, anywhere.
The gift can be used whenever you have the need to use it or are willing to be used by God to do his works.

(5) Are you still mentally conscious (in your own right mind) when your having one of these events?

Yes, as i say, you can speak in tongues at will.

I have prayed up to 20 mins. normally it is two or three though.

No.

(8) Have you ever been hurt (emotionally, physically, mentally) during or after an event? (IE: Falling to the ground, headaches, loss of sight/sound/thinking, etc.)

No. The gift of tongues is normally used at the users disgretion and is not something that is forced upon you.

9) If you were to change your faith and belief structure, do you think you would still receive these events? (Follow-up; If you have changed your belief system, do the events persist, are they different, please expand).

I i were to change my beliefs then Jesus would not be there to give me the gift of tongues. in my opinion.

No.
Like i say. It is not some sort of paranormal event that is beyond your control.
It is a one on one event between you and God.

I have answered these questions based purely on my own and familys experiences. other Christians may experience other things that i have not touched on.

Hope this helps.
jon.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Wingz

I'm not religious so the bulk of you isnt relevant to me . A few of the questions did remind me of the weird psychological experience that In the wake of dealing with the grief that had to do with my Grandfathers death . So in short what ever experiences you are going thou may not be tied to the questions you are asking of your faith . Don't be afriad of the answers that you find within yourself even if they are less then palatable .

Cheers xpert11 .

[edit on 19-12-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
jon1

I can't thank you enough for sharing your personal experiences with me (us).

In response to your last comment about something perhaps having a paranormal scenario, let me just say that this is not the route or reason for those queries. The reason why I added those type of queries is that in my research I'm finding that there are a very small percentage of "events" that did "seem" to include some interesting "additional" phenomena, and I'm using that word only for the lack of a better word. Let me explain.

I have come across a small number of extremely religious people that have supposedly experienced ringing in their ears. Experienced missing time after praying for hours at a time yet they felt that just minutes had transpired. Felt as light as air. Had what some might call an "out-of-body" experience, and the list goes on.

Now these are not wiccas, or people that are practicing some 'wild belief" system.. These are devout Christians that for one reason or another have some other "things" or "events" that seem to happen while they pray and "speak in tongues". Now before anyone starts with some form of rhetoric let me offer for example that at least two of these instances, happened to Ministers... Now if we can believe that the spirit can move us, and to take it further, believe in the Red Sea parting, burning bush's, water turning to wine, etc., then I for one have to lean towards the thought that there could be aspects of any spiritual phenomena that may also be associated, but just not readily known.

Anyway, again, I can't thank you enough for participating and answering these questions for me.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Wingz

Hey wingz. I personaly cant speak in tongues but my mum does a lot of the time. When Im have a day off uni or work, half the time I hear her praying and speaking in tongues when she is off having her quiet time. Its rather odd listening to that actualy.
Im not sure how or why people speak in tongues, but what I do know is that if God wants you to be able to speak like that then when the time is right and you are full of the spirit you will be able to.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wingz

These are devout Christians that for one reason or another have some other "things" or "events" that seem to happen while they pray and "speak in tongues".

Tongues is quite subdued in the "things" and "events" front. It is when you pray for people on a one to one basis for God to minister to them that things get interesting..
One thing that i have found is that God does not always answer the prayer that you are asking and he will do something that he thinks is more important.
You can be praying for healing for a bad back for instance but the person that you are praying for will say something like "I have had a problem in forgiving someone for something they have done, but now i can find it in my heart to forgive them.
God seems to want to minister to our attitudes before our hurts.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on a bit and go off track but there is so much more to tell in the ministry of Jesus Christ.
I could talk all day on the wonders of his works...

Cheers
jon1.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wingz

Hi there.

I actually believe that,for those who are Christian,the speaking in tongues is a misunderstanding of scripture.

When mentioned in the Bible it did not mean such people spoke in a completely unknown language,it just meant that they would be speaking in new languages.

The word glossa appears in the Greek New Testament not less than fifty times. It is used to refer to the physical organ of the tongue as in James 3:5; once in reference to the flames of fire shaped like tongues (Acts 2:3); at least once in a metaphorical sense when referring to speech as in the statement, “my tongue (speech) was glad (joyous)” (Acts 2:26). As far as I understand the remaining usages of the word it always means a language.

When our Lord predicted the gift of tongues (the only mention of tongues in the four Gospel records) He said, “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name they shall cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues” (Mark 16:17). The adjective “new” (Gr. kainos) can only mean they were going to speak in languages new to them, that is, languages they had not learned or used until that time. If I say the Russian language is “new” to me, I do not mean that I never knew there was such a language, but rather its use by me is new to me because I can neither speak it nor understand it when I hear others speak it. On the other hand the German language is not altogether “new” to me because I can both read and speak it with a small degree of understanding.
www.bible.org...

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I have attended a number of charismatic services in my life and witnessed speaking in tongues--glossolalia-- at those services. It only actually happened to me once, though.

A group of people around me started speaking in tongues and I just sort of relaxed and went with the flow. The sounds just came out easily and naturally. I felt exhilarated afterward but had no other unusal physical symptoms. I didn't understand what I was saying, I just felt light and joyful. I don't think I could translate what the others were saying into exact words--I just felt I was in sync with them.

I tend to intellectualize things. Looking back on the experience, I conclude that there's a way to override that part of the brain that would ordinarily inhibit making sounds without meaning to others--maybe something like we all did when we were babies, before we learned to form words and sentences. It's probably especially easy to speak in tongues when others around you are doing the same thing. Just relax your inhibitions and go with the spirit of the moment.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
To be spoken through.
I have heard stories of this and as far as i know it is said in the way of "what teaches the spider to weave?" or to put it more bluntly "if you don't know, you won't know.

Could it be native words embedded in lines of DNA that surface when particular circumstances are achieved, or external words fed through the subject also in particular conditions, and from who? trying to describe such events feels wrong.

hé said "is this you or me??"
"You and me."

new topics

top topics

join