It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Caroline Kennedy Qualified?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Well that seems to be the question these days so I thought I would post this article from Huff Post.

I would encourage all who are unfamiliar with Caroline to take the time to read this article. Hopefully it will bring some clarity to the subject.

Link

Upon her return to America, Caroline studied at Harvard and Columbia earning an A. B. and a J. D. In the 1980s, she married Edward Schlossberg and gave birth to three children: Rose; Tatiana and Jack.

Using her skills as an attorney and author, she wrote six books including a legal textbook: In Our Defense: The Bill of Rights in Action as well as the bestsellers -- A Patriot's Handbook and Profiles in Courage for Our Time.

she emerged as a prominent backer of the presidential candidacy of Barack Obama. In a statement published in the New York Times titled, "A President Like My Father," Caroline Kennedy wrote:

I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president -- not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans.

Did you know she was nearly assasinated...

However, Caroline's tranquil studies in London were marred when the IRA placed a bomb in Fraser's car that exploded only minutes before she was due to step into it for her daily trip to the venerable auction house. Even though the bomb exploded prematurely thus saving the lives of Caroline and Fraser, the blast killed a passerby who happened to be a distinguished oncologist, Gordon Hamilton-Fairley. This up close and personal confrontation with tragedy shaped the young woman who was already more than well aware of the omnipresent dangers of political assassination.

How about that for courage?? If anyone knows about the danger of public life it is Caroline Kennedy and she chooses to serve.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by Leo Strauss]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Hey, she is the daughter of one of the best presidents that ever sat in the White House, John F. Kennedy. To me, that makes her qualified. I am sure she has done her homework before making a move like this. The only thing I fear is that the Kennedy's have a lot of enemies.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I posted a thread on this last Monday.H

Here it is:

Above Top Secret

Caroline's qualifications are thoroughly discussed on there. I invite you and others to post.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
The people of New York will figure it out fine without our input. If she's intelligent , a critical thinker and has a heart she is off to a good start.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I thought this interview captures some of her personal character.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
She's actually more qualified than the Senator she is replacing in that she has actually lived in New York as an adult.

Hilliary is a carpetbagger and the voters of New york were idiots to elect her.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Of course she is not qualified...

But the lady she is replaceing was not quailifed either...

What does her being the daughter of a President mean... We are not living in a Monarchy...

Even if recent history kind shows we are living in a soft monarchy...

I wonder how much she bought her seat for...

Wouldn't it be great if the CLINTON senate seat cost more then the Obama senate seat?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

You know I really did not know to much about Caroline. I agree that with the sources that you have given, she seems to be very capable for the task.

I say go for it.

Peace,
Grandma

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Here's a bit from CNN.

Caroline Kennedy qualifications for Senate?

Caroline Kennedy says she wants Hillary Clinton’s Senate seat. Her resume is long on politics and short on public office. She hasn’t had a full time job in years and has never held an elected office.

Last week New York Representative Gary Ackerman, a Democrat, said Kennedy’s only qualification was name recognition. In a radio interview he said she is no more qualified than Jennifer Lopez to be a Senator.

According to the New York Times, Kennedy worked 3 days a week as director of strategic partnerships for the New York City schools for just under two years.

Other than that, most of her time has been spent on boards for various non-profits, which has included raising millions of dollars for some causes.

And a little of her past jobs from the OP's article.

Is Caroline Kennedy Qualified?

Caroline Kennedy's executive experience includes her service as CEO for the Office of Strategic Partnerships for the New York City Department of Education and her Presidency of the Kennedy Library Foundation. She serves on the boards of the Commission on Presidential Debates and the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund. Caroline serves as the Honorary Chair of the American Ballet Theatre, and she is a member of the Advisory Boar of the Harvard Institute of Politics.

Working for a formidable variety of charities, Caroline Kennedy has commandeered fundraising drives that have yielded a quarter of a billion dollars for worthy causes - the primary beneficiaries being education, civil rights and the arts.

If this was somebody who didn't have the Kennedy name, would people REALLY be saying that she has the experience or qualifications to become a good senator?

And if she wasn't a Kennedy, if the NY governor read the articles above as a resume, do you think he would even consider her as a senator?

I really doubt it!

Do you really think if she was a Smith or a Jones she would even get a second glance at becoming a senator in NY with her "qualifications"?

[edit on 12/22/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
The truth of the matter is that doors will open for her based on her relationships and history which would take an unknown candidate years to develop. That is the definition of qualified...she can make things happen right now that Chuck Schumer dreams about.

top topics

join