It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP! Has anyone tried Sedation Dentistry?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
So I need to go to the dentist to have some major work done.

I had some crappy fillings from 25 years ago when I was a teenager in Greece and they recently started falling out one by one. And as a result two of the teeth that had fillings in them have now cracked.

I have an incredible fear of dentists stemming from a horrible experience I had when I was a kid. I won't bore you with the story, let's just say it ended with a dentist running after me in her office, down the stairs of the building, and eventually down the street. I'm not kidding, this woman was crazy and traumatized me forever. As a result I've always been taking really good care of my teeth so as to avoid visiting the dentist other than for routine check ups/cleanings.

Now I have to get some serious dental work done and I am absolutely petrified.

I'm almost having a panic attack thinking about needles and the whole thing right now just talking about it

After doing some research I found out that there are two forms of what they call "sedation dentistry." One type they knock you semi-conscious with a pill, usually triazolam (halcion), and the other more extreme version where you are fully sedated via iv. The latter of course comes with all the inherent risks associated with full anesthesia.

I was wondering if any of you nice folks have had any experience with sedation dentistry (either form) that you could share with me. It tends to be rather expensive so I was just wondering what it is really like.

Thanks in advance for any help or information which you might be able to provide.

[edit on 12/17/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yes, I've been fully sedated for mouth surgery.

They removed all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth, which required alot of cutting and a wee bit of drilling, so I took the anasthesia route, and wasn't awake for any of it. The last thing you see/hear before going under is them preparing to get started on you as you look up at the Dentist and his Assistant. Then you pass out.
Then you wake up with a mouth full of Gauzz.

I've also had 2 molars pulled @ the same time with just area numbing, Novacaine shot, but no Anasthesia. I was wide awake through it. It was fine. All they had to do was yank on the tooth real hard to get it to come out, the other one came out real easy.

So I've done both. Rule of thumb is .. the severity of the operation determines the anasthesia. But you, you sound like one of those who might NEED anasthesia because of your panic problem.

Yes, you will want anasthesia.

Sucks though.. *gets on soapbox* Because of stupid acid reflux, I've lost my bottom molars except for the last two, one on each side, and there's 2 teeth in front of each one before you get to my bottom row K-9 teeth. The one on the left is going to need to be pulled, it's cracked and jacked up. The other one on the right side has a nice cavity in the back along the gum line, the same kind I lost my other bottom molars to. It's from my Acid Reflux, I have it pretty bad, and when I sleep it goes into the back of my mouth I guess, and into the bottom there where my bottom molars are. This makes sense because my top molars are still there doing good? lol ..

[edit on 12/17/2008 by runetang]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Talk to your dentist and tell him of your experience.

You probably can get by with nitros oxide and a local.

The new local stuff they use make's your mouth so dead all you can feel
is a little pressure.

The halcion seems the way to go if your are really that concerned.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
same terror here...a few years ago I had full sedation dental done and it was great!!!!

The last time I had been was when I was in my teens (I was THAT terrified) and I bit the dentist when he told me to stop being a baby after I told him it hurt! Arse.

Here it cost me total of 1200 for everything they could get done while I was under including the anesthesiology.

I couldn't manage being awake ...wanted to just wake up and have it done!

Like I said it was awesome. A few aches from the work but just knowing I'd be out and feel nothing was a huge help with the anxiety about it.

If your coverage allows you to get it done or if its not too costly I say do it. Better than not going in, and definitely better than freaking out when there (and increasing the fear).

Good luck

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I was fully anesthetized when I was 14 during a dental procedure -- a permanent tooth was extracted because it did not have room to drop, I still have one baby-tooth incisor - and had no trauma per se. I did jump out of the chair as soon as I awoke, put on my coat and began running out the door, but I think that was becuase I was almost raped and murdered in my sleep a few days before. But that's another story...

Anyway, as an adult my only concern about that particular complete anesthization (sp) was that I may have been improperly groped while out -- the DDS had a particularly leacherous gleam in his eye when I awoke and then was suspiciously overly alarmed when I leapt from the chair, grabbed my coat and went out the door. Again, the reasons for this could be many... and obvious.. nevertheless...

If you do go that route, I recommend insisting that you have your wife or a trusted friend stay in the room throughout the procedure. If not for fear of inappropriate touching, to be there in case of any respiratory emergency that could possibly arise. (That happened once too, but it was minor and I am still here). If you are worried about that research the type of anesthesia that the DDS uses, I believe it is very different from the one that was given to me during a full-on surgery.

Personally, I would take a lot of -- 1 - 2 gms -- Xanax before I would take Halcyon as it is an 70's sleep aid and does not always take you out, and can, IME, cause weird responses ( I recall once lurching around an international flight taking pictures of sleeping passngers with a FLASH and thinking it was a good idea).

Either way I am pretty sure you will be fine, but make a decision that feels the most relaxing for you and GOOD LUCK!

TWISI

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Yes, I would recommend sedation dentistry.

I had a tooth implant and bone graft under sedation.

Don't remember the name of it but there is a fairly new anesthesia that doesn't take you way down and you wake up easily. It can also be controlled so that you are semi awake until the dentist starts to do the extremely painful procedure and he increase your dosage.
It was IV sedation.

I have panic/anxiety disorder and would not have dental surgery without sedation.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I also have dental issues, and similar to yours. I had fillings in my late teens from the Navy, and now they are cracking. One tooth cracked and broke, and that one had to come out. They knocked me out for that surgery, but with a gas, and I was fine. It was just like having "real" surgery - I remember them telling me they were starting the gas, a "cool" feeling going down my throat, and then I fuzzily remember my husband and one of the dental assistants helping me out to the car. I woke up in the car (long story but Hubby couldn't take me home, he was at work) about an hour later with a mouth full of gauze. (and promptly sneezed, expelled the blood clot, and got myself a dry socket.
) If you have choice, have a tooth fixed instead of pulled even if it means a root canal. It's now a year later and that darn socket is STILL bothering me.

For other procedures I've had nitrous and local, and that was fine too. The nitrous really relaxes me and relieves the anxiety. I still "felt" a little bit here and there, but due to the nitrous it didn't really bother me.

Whatever you do, good luck!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I've had full sedation when I had two teeth removed because they both had an absyss.

It was not a nice experience, I'll admit.

The gas didn't work, they told me to count to 10 and I was making 60, the pressure on the gas was enough that I couldn't breath back out to take the next breath and physically tried to remove the mask....which two nurser had to hold in place to stop me.

When I woke up I promptly vomited on the doctor and shouted at everyone (Or so I'm told, the first half hours after I awoke is completely blank, the first thing I remember is sitting in a corridor somewhere hsouting at everyone.) I was terribly sick and throwing up blood for hours.

But bear in mind, that was a long time ago, I've had 1 life saver and another minor operation since then going under using gas and neither have been bad at all. But the pain going under saved me was definately worth everything else....thats what you've gotta think about.

posted on Feb, 27 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye
[mor

Profile Dental is the name of the dental office I work in. We are located in Elk Grove, CA . We have sedation dentistry available to our patients who have had problems visiting the dentist in the past. We are member of DOCS, Dental Organization for conscious Sedation. Sometimes referred to as "comfortable" or "relaxation" dentistry, the terms describe feelings most patients experience during their oral sedation appointments. the purpose of sedation is to allow a dentist to work more effectively by helping a patient become as comfortable as possible through the use of sedative medications administered orally and sublingually.

The term" sleep dentistry" is inappropriate. Patients are never meant to sleep through appointments and should always be able to verbally and physically respond to cues from the doctor or team.

Oral Sedation Dentistry can benefit a wide range of patients including people with:
high dental anxiety and fear
a sever gag reflex
time constraints, those who need to get more dentistry done in fewer visits
Chronic or acute jaw soreness
physical limitations such as back and neck problems
difficulty getting numb
a reluctance to previously complete treatment plans
extensive treatment needs
a desire to have dentistry done comfortably while they are fully relaxed.

If you would like to have more information on Oral Sedation Dentistry, then you can visit the website below or call our office at 916-691-5330. We would be happy to answer any questions for you.

www.sedationcare.com...

www.drrichardwinter.com

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
Yes, I've been fully sedated for mouth surgery.

They removed all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth, which required alot of cutting and a wee bit of drilling, so I took the anasthesia route, and wasn't awake for any of it. The last thing you see/hear before going under is them preparing to get started on you as you look up at the Dentist and his Assistant. Then you pass out.
Then you wake up with a mouth full of Gauzz.

[edit on 12/17/2008 by runetang]

Wow.
I experienced the same thing.

I also had missing time.

Go with the general. It's a real bitch when they insert the tracking chip in your brain.

(actually did get the same procedure and it went fine)

new topics

top topics

join