It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Net neutrality to be tested by Virgin Media

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Net neutrality to be tested by Virgin Media

www.techwatch.co.uk

This is because at some point during next year they will be looking to revise their policies on broadband with the view to blocking torrent sites and other P2P outlets.

Virgin Media could even go as far as attempting to charge content providers to have their material delivered through the Virgin Media network. This takes on the way that cable and satellite broadcasters charge other channels to broadcast on their service.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
web20.telecomtv.com

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Hmm here we go again. Its looking like Virgin Media will be taking the lead in hammering the first nails in the coffin of net neutrality. I saw a fantastic video on net neutrality, mentioning the impending 'death' of the internet as we know it. This coming of course...a day after Google are accused of and subsequently denied abandoning net neutrality deals. (Additional link posted in for the Article about Google.) I wonder how long it is before we have only a couple thousand mainstream sites to visit, and TPTB/ISP's change the way we access the Interwebs forever? Net neutrality is vital we must fight to protect it!!

www.techwatch.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Have heard rumours about this happening before. I reckon that most ISP's will follow Virgin's Policies on net neutrality if they are allowed to proceed with this.

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Boycott, simple as that.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by guliver
Boycott, simple as that.

I agree

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by guliver

already doing that

Virgin media may have fast broadband
but by restricting their Users and playing against their customers they will lose them and not gain any in the Long run. also they are expensive buggers for the service they offer.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I agree on Boycotting VM. I'd be concerned if all ISP's started adopting this policy though.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This is just another step towards the beginning of the end of the Net as we know it.

Forces wanting to stop offensive and disturbing material, forces wanting to prevent copyright infirngement, will find some kind of common ground with people trying to find a new ways to make a big buck.

The lobbyists won't find much resistance as there is a lot of truly nasty stuff out there. But of course politically and socially out there material will get lumped in with the bad.

Mike F

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Like everything on the net
There is a way around it, They spring up this on the net then the uber geeks will spawn a new net
It will probably be outlawd but then another will spring up..and another..and another...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Wow what a smart thing to do. Let's see how this will back fire.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The internet is the only form of media in which an individual can provide their opinion to the masses of public without being censored. It will not be this way forever, regardless of how many petitions we sign or protests we promote.

Additionally P2P is our only escape from this persecution. The internet is currently uncontrollable because where Virgin Media blocks the lines, new ones can be created which are uninterrupted by Virgin Media's bandwidth lines.

The simple fact that they mention blocking P2P threatens our only back-pedal if the proposed Internet Censorship bans make their way to legislation.

I see no end in sight, and no possible solution to prevent corporations from receiving the legislation they desire. If anybody has a solution, please use this thread to propose it.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I've always wondered how much time do we have left until they "corporativize" internet, as they did with any mainstream media.
I'm not that hopeful of new "pirate" nets being created because they would never have an impact like the original internet has, much like mainstream radio stations and college/underground radio stations.
Sadly if this happens I don't see a solution either.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Fortunately the Internet is one place where complete control by our governments and corporations is not possible. In my opinion, as soon as unapproved sites start being banned and blocked by a few ISPs, internet users will just stop using their service and move on to the next. Sooner or later either the net will die or we will have our old internet back.

The endless possibilities of expression in all forms is what the internet is all about. If you start hacking at its limbs it will no longer be able to survive.

[edit on 17/12/08 by Pfeil]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
You have got to wonder why Virgin insist on going through with this. The amount of bad feedback and warnings of being boycotted you would of thought that maybe Virgin would think about their plans in a bit more detail

I would bet that if they go along with this, the smaller ISP's will end up using this against them by insuring people that with them, they pay for all the net. Not just some predetermined list set out by Virgin. Then, when Virgin get rid of their plan but never gain the customers back.

I hope I am right, because it would be such a shock to those B******s at Virgin

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I tend to think if the internet only allowed several thousand more or less worthless sites that all charge I would definitely be canceling my internet, why pay for more pay sites, would rather just deal with the television. I also think that the next generation internet will somehow be more directly linked to television. Individualism and freedom of information shared, to get the real truth on stuff like from youtube and forums or even abovetop secret would be a real sad end to a real good thing.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Well could always create a intranet internet, a intranet through the internet sounds like an oxymoron but should be doable. That is unless they block private servers from functioning on the internet, however if they did many companies would be ticked.

It would be similar to the way P2P works only difference is every Microsoft machine has the capability to do it, not sure about mac and Microsoft compatibility though.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I'm happy that I had the opportunity to come of age during the 'golden age' of the internet. I also have a feeling that things are going to be changing within the next few years, and it makes me sad.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
What if all this rubbish is put down on paper and and enforced through legislation?

I'm sure the only way out is some new wireless technology.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Well this is just dandy, I signed up to Blue yonder internet years ago, which was subsequently sold (or was it always owned by) Telewest, which later got bought out by Virgin media. I'm going to have to find a new ISP. Although that really wont do anything apart from delay the inevitable.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
It won't last long. I thought all ISPs would be doing this at the same time, since that would be the only way for it to work. Since they're not, it won't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join