It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could sunscreen be killing us?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Just saw a segment on the 7:30 report here in Australia about the use of nanotechnology in some sunscreens.

The link is here:
www.abc.net.au...

There isn't a direct link to the segment but it can be streamed from that page.

Now, there is no concrete evidence of any ill effects yet, it seems the research into it has only recently started.

There is evidence from isolated cell experiments that zinc oxide and titanium dioxide can induce free radical formation in the presence of light and that this may damage these cells (photo-mutagenicity with zinc oxide). However, this would only be of concern in people using sunscreens if the zinc oxide and titanium dioxide penetrated into viable skin cells. The weight of current evidence is that they remain on the surface of the skin and in the outer dead layer (stratum corneum) of the skin.

www.tga.gov.au...

It may be no big deal, but interesting none the less.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Another reason not to use it.

It's practically impossible to ensure you have applied it to all exposed parts eg on the beach.

I prefer none and take a break when you naturally get too sizzly,as any parts you miss will be suffering even longer extended periods of exposure.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I read somewhere that if too much is applied, it acts more like a magnifying glass than a shield to UV.

Plus not everyone's skin is of the same sensitivity to the UV. A blanket UV sunblock lotion should be considered just a temporary measure and not a full blown immunity to too much sun.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I don't know how toxic it is, but sunscreen kills coral reefs.
www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
...especially since they found a Magnetic Field Hole which would intensify your sunburn.

wZn

[edit on 19-12-2008 by watchZEITGEISTnow]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I was scrolling through and I found this.

Think about this. Exposure to sun creates vitamin D, which isn't actually a vitamin, but let's just say Vitamin D is important. Vitamin D seems to be important in fighting cancer, it seems to help lift the "blues," may help with hernias, and helps your body to absorb calcium, plus more.

Yet, all throughout summer you hear of the importance of sun screen. Could there be a conspiracy here? Obviously, it may not be wise to burn yourself to a crisp in the sun, but is sun really dangerous like we are lead to believe? If the sun is too much, I can usually find some shade of some sort, or cover up.

Personally, I hate that crap on my skin. I feel nasty with it on. I'm not worried about it, my health is quite good, and I plan on keeping it that way.

If sunscreen helps you, I guess that's your business. I'll never put it on my skin, unless I was in the situation where there is absolutely no shade available, and sunscreen is my best available protection from getting fried like an egg.

Seems like all these people who take all these "authority approved" precautions, and they take their doctor recommended drugs, or whatever, they seem like the ones that are sick. I'm rarely ill with anything of any significance.

Troy

[edit on 28-12-2008 by cybertroy]

[edit on 28-12-2008 by cybertroy]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I NEVER use it, and I NEVER apply it to my children. It gives you a false sense of security when out in the sun.
I apply common sense in a thick layer instead.
I pay attention to the UV index with the local weather reports and adjust my families time in the sun accordingly.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

Think about this. Exposure to sun creates vitamin D, which isn't actually a vitamin, but let's just say Vitamin D is important. Vitamin D seems to be important in fighting cancer, it seems to help lift the "blues," may help with hernias, and helps your body to absorb calcium, plus more.

I got a call from my Dr. yesterday that my Vitamin D levels are so low they are almost non-existant! She was stunned that someone living in Southern California with a year-round tan could have such low levels. She prescribed 2,000 mg. of Vitamin D a day and also 15 minutes a day in the sun with NO sunscreen. I've been exhausted for the last few months with no obvious cause and that's one of the reasons I had blood work done. Hopefully my exhaustion will go away with the supplement and being in the sun without sunscreen!

Jemison

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Jemison

Just FYI for your new diagnosis:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
For me, it is a necessity to use sunscreen. I have red hair, freckles, and of course, fair screen. I grew up in Southern California, and as a kid, never used sun screen. All summer long, I would be in Junior Lifeguards and would always be sunburned.

I am 38 now and I started seeing a dermatologist about 5 years ago. When I first saw him, he froze off a dozen pre-cancerous spots off my arms and forehead and a very large one on my lower lip.

I work outside all day as a sprinkler technician and live in Denver. If I don't use sunscreen, I get burned, it's as simple as that. All four of my kids somehow inherited my wife's genes (which is a good thing for A LOT of reasons) Anyway, they don't burn hardly at all and subsequently doin't use much sun screen.

All I am saying is that if you had skin as fair as mine and mistreated it in your youth as I did, you would use sun screen. Also, the dermatologist showed me pictures of what my pre-cancers would turn into if left untreated.

Edit to add: if sunscreen is killing us, I would have been dead a long time ago.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by nyarlathotep]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Kosmicjack, thanks so much for providing those links - I started to read them and then got sidetracked by a phone call so I'm about to get back to reading the valuable information that fellow ATS'ers have been sharing on this topic.

Thank you for taking the time to point me in the right direction.

Jemison

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I was going to do a thread on this after reading an article on the NYT's the other day talking about the risks of nanotech in cosmetics in general. I have already done a lot of research on the topic, I will add it here.

Ironically, while consumers apply sunscreen to stay healthy, the use of nanoparticles in sunscreen may prove riskier than sun exposure itself. Recent studies show ZnO and TiO2 can induce the formation of free radicals when exposed to light – and this may damage cells. Preliminary investigation into the ability of ZnO and TiO2 nanoparticles to penetrate healthy skin has revealed conflicting results. Most studies have found that these nanoparticles do not reach the living cells. However, a few have suggested they do ("Toxic Potential of Materials at the Nanolevel"); and broken skin is ineffective as barrier for particles as large as 7,000 nm.

LINK

Manufactured nanoparticles present novel health and environmental risks that cannot be predicted from conventional materials. First, nanoparticles have unprecedented access to the human body. Unlike larger particles, once in the blood stream, nanoparticles have the ability to enter vital organs including the brain, heart, and liver, where they may disrupt normal cell activity7. When ingested, some nanomaterials may pass through the gut wall and circulate through our blood.

It's formateed as HTML from a PDF so scroll down, lots of data.

The following article discusses nano-tech in sunscreen as well as the whole slew of issues that is attendant with 'normal' sunscreen, i.e. the ones that are not using nano-titanium dioxide, but the usual chemicals:

And some of those alternative ingredients, which Friends of the Earth ignored, troubled the Environmental Working Group. “In contrast to zinc and titanium, studies show that some traditional sunscreens like oxybenzone and octinoxate definitely absorb into healthy skin — in large amounts according to some studies.” — and act like estrogens in the body, raising risks for breast cancer, and showing effects like hormone-driven uterine damage in other studies,” it said.

LINK

It is worth noting that oxybenzone is banned in most all developed countires for use in sunscreen with the US begin the exception. I have some more data on that as well if anyone is interested. It is alarming to say the least.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I've never worn sunscreen in my life. I usually don't get sunburn too bad. The only time I ever really got sunburned was at the beach/ocean where I was out in it all day long. Boy that really sucked, but it took me being out in the sun for like 12 hours+ for it to happen.

This thread reminded me of this song.

Class Of 99; Wear Sunscreen

top topics

join