It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Dark energy' controlling universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
I would ike to see what everybodies thoughts are on this news link that has come to light today.Dark matter is being looked into at a great rate and www.news.com.au... is a very strange thing!!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
it's majick, i swear !

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The chicken IS the egg
The following is my own hypothesis...never shared, feel free to tear it to pieces!

(remember, a hypothesis is not actually a theory until it's been subjected to peer review)...
and I have no peers being a former carpenter, and future commercial pilot. :-)

It's been recently realized that 72% of our known universe is made up of dark energy (not to be confused with dark matter, which makes up 21%)
Visible matter only makes up about 7%

Could we be space itself?
Here are a couple things to consider
E=mc2
Photons have no mass, however they have energy.
If our universe began with the “big bang”, and was hot and dense, yet we're only seeing remnants of that in the form of microwaves, where did all that energy go? Obviously a big bang would have been hot and bright, in gamma wave lengths or even shorter.
Conservation of energy tells us that energy doesn't go away, it simply changes form.

What's missing? ENERGY

Hubble constant... The farther a galaxy is away from us, the faster it is moving away.
(the farther back in time you go, more space has been created between galaxies)

What's extra? SPACE

Astronomers (2 different camps) discovered something strange. While trying to determine the rate at which the expansion of the universe was decreasing they realized, to their utter dis-belief, that it's actually speeding up!
Most are in agreement that our visible universe is 13.7 billion years old, since the “big bang”.

Something Bizarre!

When they took further measurements, they realized at around 9 billion years of age, the rate of expansion that was DECREASING turned around and started SPEEDING UP!

What could cause this?

Perhaps the dominating factor during a certain period , due to energy and distance could be the culprit.

DOMINANCE
A - Big Bang ... Kinetic Energy - Extremely fast expansion until...
B - Mass Clumped, clearing took place and gravity took over, slowing the the expansion rate until...
C – galaxies were far enough apart that gravity couldn't continue the slowing of the expansion and it began speeding up again due to the energy unwinding back into space.

Remember, this is just my own personal hypothesis, although it doesn't seem to break any rules.
If I'm correct, you heard it from me first. If I'm wrong, let's just call it hearsay.

What could this mean for the future of our universe?

Well... If I'm correct, and energy is just a bunch of scrunched up space, the expansion of the universe could slowly come to a stop once the CMB radiation unwinds back into space itself. Perhaps it will slowly start to collapse again, causing the big crunch and even another “Big Bang”. Who knows, maybe it could equalize into a constant.
(Imagine how much space you'd have to squeeze into a ball in order to create a photon of light, or an electron)
Remember black holes? Obviously nobody knows what happens beyond the “event horizon” which light can't even escape. Theorists imagine everything getting shoved down into a singularity! Perhaps that's how mass or energy is created! If a black hole jammed enough space into a point, then it was released in the form of energy.....

Remember the “conservation of energy”? Even when an exited electron orbiting a nucleus makes it's “quantum leap”, losing energy (returning to it's normal state), it can emit a photon of light.
Energy can be converted into Mass, (and vice versa)

A couple things to consider..
The closer you look at an atom, the more it looks like nothing.
Whatever happens in the realm if the very small, is anyone's guess. It's taken scientists 30 years to get from 10-16m to 10-17m. (that's really, really tiny) Hence you end up with lots of theories, including 5 different versions of string theory, the M theory, the Grand Unified Theory, The Standard Model, Supersymmetry and it goes on and on and on.
That's why they created the LHC.
Apparently they'll be searching for clues, like the higgs-boson, the last piece of the puzzle to the Standard Model, or evidence of the graviton (in search of other dimensions).

join