It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I become energy independent - besides solar and wind?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Hey,

I have been researching energy independence for a long time now.

Solar and wind energy seems to be pretty expensive and the solar would not work at night and I am not in an area that gets lots of full time wind.

The amount of solar panels I would need - would cost more than I can afford.

Then I have looked at a "wood gas generator" - those seem to work decently and could run a small generator - but it would be noisy and not work as a full time electrical station for my house.

I have looked at trying to do a geothermal power station for the house, but you have to dig like 4 miles underground to do that - which is again cost prohibative.

I have thought about a steam type power unit but I believe the pressure of that could be dangerous - plus a ton of water is needed to keep it going.

Now I have spent hours on each of those alternatives - especially the solar alternative.

My question is - does anyone out there - know of a way to get a house powered and off the grid - that is relatively inexpensive and something I could do myself.

I am pretty self sufficent when it comes to doing things. I have remodeled my home my self : tearing out walls, laying wood floors, tiling, remodeling my bathrooms, plumbing, electrical etc.

I am not too mechanically inclined though.

So can anyone help me?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
You could run a generator off a water wheel.

You could run a generator off of just about any force really whether its a bike or just you cranking it.

The absolute best way to be energy independent is to stop using electrical devices.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Have you thought about Biogas ?? Essentially you ferment your household wastes and produce Biogas. With said biogas you could power a small generator and light your home and keep it warm as well. A biogas plant is not really very expensive (however it is messy if not built well!) . Another requirement is feeding it significant quantities of biomatter at regular intervals. This would be hard if you live alone or have a small family.

I think instead of merely shifting over from one power supply to another you need to look at energy efficiency within your home. Like more natural light, more natural ventilation, better insulation, better building materials etc.

Also there are devices like thermal water heaters etc which significantly lessen your external power needs.

At the end of the day, the way we live in most parts of America is not really energy efficient with respect to the power consumption per capita. Compared to people in other countries, Americans use a LOT more energy per capita to live lives which are NOT significantly better. Also, I doubt you could get ALL your energy needs from one source alone! You would need to cut back a good deal of your present energy consumption and use a wide array of alternative energy options. Some solar, some biogas, some wind(if you can) and some energy from the local grid.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by IAF101]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Biogas, earth batteries, waste digesters. It is all here for the taking if you want to look!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Hemp - but it outlawed to grow isn't it or is industrial hemp ok??

www.naturalcollection.com...

www.ccguide.org.uk...

www.hemptraders.com...

[edit on 16-12-2008 by MCoG1980]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

There is a simple and relatively inexpensive way to convert over entirely off the grid. You won't miss a thing.

The way it works is off two separate battery banks, and the DC is converted to AC for standard household use. It requires a particular controller which allows running off one bank and allows the other to charge. Your source is a small solar panel. You will never run short of electricity, and the batteries will last you four or five times longer than any other method.

If you are interested, U2U me and I'll tell you who to contact.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Best method is to use a variety of different devices to make electricity. Some can do the heavy duty stuff, while others can do the light load things.

Also take advantage of the jumbo white LED's and cluster them together, using aluminum foil as a reflector. They will provide plenty of light and use very little current from your low-load system.

Steam engines are also a good choice to run mid to heavy load generators. A modified old style stove coffee maker is an excellent boiler unit.

Be carefull about those inverters. Make sure they are of the modified sine wave type with continuous duty. Those others that only output square wave can screw up most sensitive electronic loads.

Either one however takes a huge amount of current to produce decent AC wattage. Its best to just take a 4,000 watt small engine driven generator and run that engine either off the biowaste fuel or attach the generator part to a steam engine or geared windmill/water wheel.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
- Human Powered Generators

www.econvergence.net...

With this guy, solar/wind and a good wood stove you'd be ready to hit the bush and get off the grid.

Peace

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Energy? This is what we are all fighting for.
sack up. It will get ugly before you are free from it.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by flyingfish]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Conservation is the key to successful off-grid living. Think of using less rather than having to make more. All of your lighting needs could be easily met with a small solar and wind powered generation system. Heating and cooking should be easy: a wood burning stove. There are also electric fridges that will run on a single 75w/12v panel,

Insulation, Insulation, Insulation. Need I say more? Oh yeah, plug the leaks,too!

Solar hot water and solar hot air collectors can cut your overall energy bill by 20% or more. A coil wrapped around the exhaust pipe of your wood stove can heat your water on cloudy days. A house that is remodeled to for proper solar gain in the winter will use less than half the energy to heat than a conventional house.

For other alternative energy ideas:

www.homepower.com...

www.pureenergysystems.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by guliver
Biogas, earth batteries, waste digesters. It is all here for the taking if you want to look!

Exactly what are those things? earth batteries, waste digesters?

I also am very energy efficent, during the summer I do not run my AC, I have insulated my house very well and have natural lighting. I try to use very little electricity.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I have looked into the battery packs, but from my understanding - a ton of them is needed, along with many solar panels to charge them. Also when they are being charged during the daylight hours - then what is someone running their electric off?

top topics

join