It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planning for my first 'road trip'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Hey! I've been working on this concept for a trip I would like to take, and am finally putting all the pieces together to make it happen, but I need some things roughed out and I'm hoping you guys can. Like most/some of you, you feel that things are about to hit the fan, and survival will be a very real concept. Additionally, there's the fear of martial law and all sorts of things like that. I am planning to go on a trip that will prepare myself to survive in the wild, all the while going on a nice scenic trip! And yes I know, this is ridiculous, but I believe, accomplishable.

As for distance and location, I’m not entirely sure yet. I definitely want to head out west. The Grand Canyon and the Rocky Mountains create a tingle, and to either, would easily be a 14-15 week trip (4200 km). I estimate, with a pack I hope will weigh 40-50 lbs, I can move ~40 km a day, varying with terrain and weather. Ideally I’ll have a certain set distance which I must meet during the day. Additionally, I will move an extra amount of distance, which will be dependent on a number of different things (terrain, weather, health, etc), only if I choose to or feel that it is accomplishable. Depending on the usage of the raft, as I said, I may shave off some weeks. On a weekly basis, I want to try to move 4-6 days, and rest for 1-3. I will also have a night vision monocular, so I could potentially move limited distances during the night (which is ideal actually), but batteries are a concern. I may only be limited to minimal usage during the course of the trip (I have a working concept of a lightweight generator, but as to what I can actually get out of it is still up for question).

During my movement days I plan to just set up simple shelters, which will only serve me for the night. During my rest days, I will be constructing more elaborate shelters. In fact, if I come across a nice spot, I may choose to stay there for awhile! Round trip, I’m looking at 8-10 months, depending on how comfortable I get. I’m going with a military layered sleeping bag system (which just so happens to be used by the Marine Corps) but am still unsure of a tent. Ultimately, I can also go with a half-shelter if I really need to (and natural constructed shelters), but I did have something else in mind; it just doesn’t seem to be on the market. Boots are something I am still looking into, along with foot soles. Standard clothing is two sets of summer and winter clothing. I am also still looking into extreme cold weather clothing, but am working on a concept I have, before resorting to commercially available items.

During the weekend I went through my survival and environment material and have been using the Marine Corps Winter and Summer Survival Coarse manuals (both dated 2002). I have also been using the new multi-service Survival manual (MCRP 3-02H). I’m trying to put together a decent plan, so if something happens; I will know how to react. I’m focusing on supplies and trying to create a balance to what I will be carrying, and what I can get from the land.

Most of my equipment list is an exact duplicate of the one listed in the Winter Survival Coarse; fire starting equipment, water procurement items, first aid items, food procurement items, signaling items, shelter items, and miscellaneous items (such as those you have suggested to me in the past). I have also included a rappelling harness, collapsible grappling hook, and 120’ rope, which I can utilize for either moderate climbs or descents, and river crossing. I also plan to bring an inflatable raft (if size and weight isn’t too bad) which I’m hoping will shave off some weeks and provide another experience.

cont.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I am sure your an accomplished hiker. But have you ever SEEN the rockies?

might want to halve that estimate.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Foraging – well, I’m definitely going to have to do some extensive research on this, and I may very well end up buying several books to thoroughly go through them, before deciding on what to rely on. During lunch I did happen to catch a glimpse of an army manual that deal with edible plants. Its simply called ‘The Illustrated Guide to Edible Plants – Department of the Army’, no FM number or any other type of classification. I’m assuming that the Marine Corps doesn’t have a similar book/manual?

Food – I am starting to entertain the thought of hunting small game, when necessary, and I’m sure that time will come (maybe even for bug paste). I know that all three manuals I listed above go over the necessary steps to take, in order to prepare food, but I wanted to see if you could offer any advice that wouldn’t be found in the manual. I figure that most game I would be interested in is squirrel, rabbit, and small birds, since anything bigger would be wasted, due to lack of time and preservation methods. To create a safety nest for myself, so I can give myself a chance to not die from stupidity and hunger, I will be bringing 3 types of food with me (as to how much, I still need to determine that); rice, beans, barely (I do need to find a calcium supplement, and make sure I can balance it out, nutritionally). Obviously I can’t just rely on this, but I do intend to bring a certain amount of each that will last me for ‘X’ amount of time, before I need to stop off in a town and replenish it, while minimizing the frequency of those stops. I’m trying to keep the mentality of ‘one decent meal a day’. I’ll also have an assortment of other snacks (power bars, peanut butter, etc) so I can treat myself every now and then, by carefully rationing it. This is mainly what I meant by stupidity: By carefully rationing my snacks, creating a good balance on re-supply, the foraging and hunting/fishing, I think I have a good chance of maintaining proper nutrition levels. If however, I over eat and disregard my rationing, I can seriously screw myself. I also plan on purchasing some MRE meals (just the main entrée) and adding those to my ‘snack bag’. Fishing is also something I can do, and have absolutely no problem with it.

As far as water goes, I’ll have two 1 quart canteens, one collapsible 2 quarter canteen, and a water bladder inside my pack. A water bladder and a quart canteen is the equivalent of what I drink on a daily basis now. Depending on terrain and weather, I can easily see my water consumption going up, perhaps needing both quart canteens and the bladder. I’ll have a canteen cup and mess kit, so I can obtain clean water on a daily basis.

There is also another issue which I’m thinking about. Is it practical to use toilet paper, and if so, roughly how much (as in, what is that sort of thing dependent on). Baby wipes I’m assuming are not practical and probably not eco friendly. I’m guessing a rag, and rotating it out with others (washing and reusing of course) poses some health risk. When it comes down to it, I know leaves are readily available and can be used, but is there a way to avoid going down that path, or is it just the way it has to be done? At the very least I will finally appreciate every last piece of toilet paper sheet, when I have it again! (Although, I suppose I could include that item in my re-supply, which based on my range, should be every 6 weeks, give or take, but it is another item(s) to carry and more money to bring)

Another concern is which land will I be passing through. I need land/wilderness/etc that is generally public, I can camp and make a fire on, and be generally left alone/isolated. I had thought of national parks and forests, but doesn't look too promising. Additionally, I don't need to bring attention to myself and have cops in my face - not what I want to have happen! I saw on a thread dealing with the Alaskan Wilderness, someone mentioned good locations that were in the US mainland.

cont.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by Halzman]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I have a 30-06 bolt action that I was hoping to bring with me to practice marksmanship (NOT HUNTING) but this is where my concern for the law really kicks in. A guy backpacking/camping across the US is going to be weird enough, no need to add to it by packing a rifle.

I did however, to be honest, feel that if I could properly conceal it and keep it stored while I'm in populated areas, and take it out only when in the right/proper area for use. The rifle however, is long, 44". Not to mention, it will add weight to an already maxed out load. It also though, wouldn't be a bad idea in case SHTF, or I need to defend myself in the wilderness. Any ideas on this?

I think this pretty much wraps up all the questions and concerns I had about untaking a trip like this. I'm hoping you guys here can help me out! The news everyday reminds me that being in this type of situation is not that far fetched, and I'd rather put myself in it with planning and preperation, rather then be forced into it.

Best Regards

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I don't quiet get what you mean. I've never been to the Rockies, no. And what do you mean 'halve that estimate'? In terms of distance to the Rockies from NY?

To be more clear, I don't intend on climbing mountains or anything, but within the area. Basically, if it comes to the point where I have to do some serious mountaineering, I stop.

I wouldn't say accomplished, by I do find myself going on 15km walks from time to time lol I do plan on doing a 'buildup phase' locally before I step off. I'd rather have my body adjust locally, rather then in the wild.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Halzman

I don't know how much hiking your are planning on doing. But the Rockies are a very large steep and remote range. They are not for the inexperienced.

I just say this with all concern because it would be easy to get lost and hurt. Many parts are very remote, especially the nevada side. Nevada is known for having some of the most isolated roads, in the world even.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Halzman

Lose the tent idea. Take a small tarp and a length of rope. You can make a shelter on any terrain, and it's a lot lighter. Then you do't have to worry about tent stakes or poles to hold it up. And it's a hell of a lot faster to set up and take down.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Whoa pilgrim, stop right there. The rockies are not to be trifled with. The flatland in Wyoming is 6,000 feet above sea level. This is not the kind of environment to learn in. I have seen it blizzard here in June. Wyoming held the record for the worst national transportation disater until 9/11. I'm talking about the Mormon trail. Hundreds died. I mean no offense but i'm sure those people were better prepared and knew how to live off the land a lot better than you. I don't want to read about you next year being found, or not found due to poor planning.

The best advice I could give you is scale back your plans a bit, and find someone to go with you. Come for a short stay first. Pick one specific area and try that. Choose the area you want to go to and let people know where you will be and when.

I'm an old guy and have lived here most of my life. When I taught my kids to camp and pack out here the one thing I stressed is you can never carry too much. A 20 to 40# pack, depending on what is packed in it I would say is fine for a week in July. Anything else, I would be very worried about you.

Every night this week the temp has been below -10 F. Lighters don't work in those temperatures. The environment is not the only worry out here, animals can be a serious threat also. A moose is nothing like a cow or a deer. I wont even mention wolves. Although your foraging idea sounds good, I know there are more things you could eat out here that would kill you than edible items. Also keep in mind the animals here thrive in this environment.

The legal implications of carrying a weapon out here are something to consider also. If you had in mind hunting for food. The sound of a gunshot carries quite a distance. I wouldnt want to be found poaching.

So please, PLEASE, do some more research, and scale back your plans a bit.

Spiritowl

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Halzman

but batteries are a concern. I may only be limited to minimal usage during the course of the trip (I have a working concept of a lightweight generator, but as to what I can actually get out of it is still up for question).

Get one of these so you dont have to worry about battery usage mate.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229524392&sr=8-9

I haven't got one but it's on my "to buy" list...I think something like this will be essential if you're packing electronic equipment.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Sounds entertaining,but a few words of advice...There is no way you're going to make 40 k a day,while trying to scavage food ,eat ,hunt and still set up a camp at nite....There was a guy up here thet walked the whole pipeline and he averaged about 10mi. a day, and thats pretty close to what I do too..but this is rough terrain,,so you should be able to do 10-20, the average person can walk 2-3 mi. an hr., now add a heavy pack and after a few hours your down to 1-2 mi. an hr..weather conditions will have a big effect also,,,,Do you walk your 15 mi. in the pouring rain and then set up camp in the rain or do you stay put and rest up for a day or two. Better take a realistic look at time frame...As for carrying a gun, Take one, but something you can breakdown and put in your pack,,a savage mo.24 o/u 22/20ga. should do it..You'll be going thru some metro areas I would think,carrying a shotgun or rifle mite draw attention,, as for a pistol,,I'd carry one, but theres a lot of states you're going thru that have strange laws..that also goes for hunting...Don't want to end up in jail, making new friends I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, but set yourself realistic and attainable goals,,it's easy to get discouraged...been there...Hiking across eastern Montana on u.s.2 in a driving snow storm looking for a place to camp out of the wind, isn't a whole lot of fun... good luck

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Interesting challenge. It would be more challenging to be an urban camper, like the homeless. Finding food and shelter would be much harder without money.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
All I have to say is good luck. If you really think you can make 40km a day you are fooling yourself. If you have never even been to this area you might want to reconsider trying to learn here.
I do have to put in my 2 cents worth about a weapon though. A citizen of this country who has not been convicted of a felony has the right to carry a non-concealed rifle or pistol almost anywhere.Period. While backpacking in Alaska I ALWAYS carried a .45 Colt revolver loaded with Cor-Bon Magnum ++P's. I routinely checked my pistol at restaraunts and taverns and never even thought about concealing it. Also out here a concealed carry permit along with a valid hunting liscense gives you almost unlimited rights to carry.(Use common sense.) Remember that a regular hunting season liscense allows you to hunt what are called varmint or pest animals all year long(in many western states) Rabbits and squirrels are on that list. Check your state regs.
Anyone using common sense who is well prepared and level headed can survive fairly comfortably in almost any environment on earth.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Ive seen a few threads on here about taking off on survivalist camping trips, how to prepare to survive, etc... but this is by far the most ambitious. Honestly, my first question was, how does one go about taking 10 months off of work to tour the country aside from running for POTUS?

40k a day simply wont happen unless you steal a horse, even then you would be pushing it, may want to look at that again.

However, overall, I would say you have thought this through and I wish the best for you. Should be quite the experience.

As someone else mentioned, a gun is a good idea, I dont know about the marksmanship idea, rather hunting and defense, however, take a close look at the laws of each state you will be passing through.

Let us know how your planning is coming along, and while in route to the Rockies, check in from time to time and let us know how you are doing.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by spookjr

I happen to have a conceal carry permit and it's only good in 32 or33 states and they're all a little different..Before I go to a different state I get a copy of their laws and carry it with me..Not every one with a badge is up to speed on concealed carry laws, it's better to be safe than spending a couple of days in jail in some little redneck town till they get around to sorting it out.. Sure here in Alaska I can carry a gun anywhere, besides a bar and federal buildings..But not all states are like that...Try walking into a 7-11 outside of Chicago with a 44 strapped to your side, and guess what, you're going to jail...As for hunting getting a nonresident license in every state,,could get kind of spendy.. I believe like you do,that an American citizen should be able to carry a gun anywhere,but not everyone is as open minded as some of us..

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
First off, I would like to thank you all for replying and being 'supportive' lol.

fred3110 - That's more or less the concept I had in mind, rigging small solar panels to recharge my electronics. Thanks for the link! Will definitely be picking up one of those and putting it through a grueling testing process. I also had the thought of utilizing Nikola Tesla's radiant energy system. Fortunately for myself, I'm pretty good with electronics, since my dad is an electrical engineer, and I work with quite a few technicians, engineers, etc (we build RF testing equipment). I had worked with one of my dads friends (they have worked together for years) and we put together a nice small little circuit that would draw energy exactly as Tesla did with his system. I have never gotten around to fine tuning it though.

Anuubis - During my movement days (~4 days out of the week) I plan on digging a ranger grave, and covering it with whatever is around. I can use sticks and rope to construct a decent ladder frame (to put over the grave, which will be about 6' x 3' x 2' L x W x H) and then cover it with leaves, brush, etc. I will also have a net, of about the same dimensions as the grave, minus the height, which I will use to make a ghillie suit. In conjunction with my poncho, and sleeping bag, I think I have a pretty good shelter for the night.

My rest days is when I'm basically just going to expand on my current shelter design, in other words, make it a little larger and roomier, since I'll be in that spot for ~3 days. This is when I plan on doing my hunting for rabbit and other small game.

earthman4 - Heh, its funny that you said that, I was actually almost in that position a year or so ago. An urban environment is definitely move challenging, mainly because everything is domesticated, for lack of a better description. Here my ideas on that, at least in the long island, NY area. Highways are generally very forested. Obviously it borders some industrial areas, but some have a decent amount of forest to make camp for the night (i wouldn't try starting a fire though, state troopers will be all over you). Some parks also have heavily wooded area where you can sleep for the night. While I worked at a deli, at a supermarket, a few years ago, I learned something very interesting. At the end of the night, any rolls (and some other stuff) that hadn't been sold during the day, is placed in a bag and throw out. Apparently its against the law to give unused 'not so fresh' food to homeless/hungry people. Sure, if you get caught going through the garbage, you can get arrested (the plus side being, either way your eating that night lol). So that's generally how you would sleep/eat day by day. And during the day you can try to get change, so you can eat a decent meal every now and then.

Now to the more general responses:

I based my distance per day on one fact. Occasionally I'll hump from long beach back to valley stream. Its about a 15km distance, and I do it in around 3-4 hours, depending if I stop and eat/rest. Most of the time, I'm not even wearing proper footwear (its a spur of the moment sort of thing usually). I've done a few of these with a backpack weighing 20lb and with proper footwear, in about the same time. Terrain varies from road to 'off road', high and low. Basically, the closer I get to home, the better the terrain gets. If walking is all I plan on doing for that day, reaching 40km a day is plausible. But its definitely something my body needs to adjust to. So if I'm moving that distance a day, average 4 days of the week, i can do 160km in a week.

The beginning of the trip is deliberately broken up into build-up phases, and the idea is based on current military training methods (mainly the Marine Corps) and a WWII strategy. Before I actually step off I will do the following training. Week 1 - 5km humps with the same gear I will be bring with me on the trip. Week 2 - 10km humps. Week 3 - 15km. Week 4 - 20km (heh, 420).

cont.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by Halzman]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
This is to ensure that my body is well adapted to the physical stresses. It will also help me evaluate my health. If a serious injury would occur on this trip, this build up phase will show me exactly what it is, and from there I can determine whether I should still step off or not. So once I step off, I'm going to achieve 20km a day, averaging 4 days a week. This is similar to how Marines are conditioned for marches with there gear, from recruit training, till the end of school of infantry. The only difference is its more spread out, over a 6 month period (then again, marching isn't the only training there getting). Now for the WWII strategy. From my starting point to my destination point, 20km away, I will give myself X amount of time to reach it. Depending on weather, terrain, health, etc I can choose to move to my next point, which will be set another 10km away. If I get to that point and I feel its achievable to move to my third point, I will move another 10km, allowing me to achieve 40km in a day. At first, I might not be able to achieve the whole 40km, but maybe 30km, and slowly work up to 40km. Again, its all going to be dependent on weather, terrain, health, food concerns, etc.

To expand more on my movement/rest days: On my movement days, this is when I will be relying on foraging and using some food supplies that I have. Admittedly, however, I'm depending solely on foraging, which means, I need to have good references and confidence in my skill to identify safe food. I plan on bringing baggies with me (and a few assorted permanent markers of different colors) to catalog safe/unsafe food (preservation of the samples might be a problem though). On my rest days, since I will have a 'permanent camp', I can set up traps or go hunting for small game, like rabbit. Most of my food will be boiled to ensure maximum nutrient consumption (food + broth).

There has been a question as to what kind of supplies I will have, and for the purposes of this thread, and in general, I will list my supplies (Most of which is based on the Survival Kit for the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center - Winter Survival Coarse - if anyone would like this handbook, let me know. I think its a valuable resource for anyone)).

Fire Starting Equipment: Matches, magnifying glass, flint and steel, lighter, magnesium fire starter - all in water proof bag/container. Certain items, like the magnesium fire starter, I will have several of.

Water Procurement Items: Iodine tablets/solution, canteen cup, 1 qt canteen, water bladder (mounted in pack) plastic container, plastic bags, 2 qt collapsible canteen. Again, certain items, like the 1 qt canteen, I will have several of.

Food Procurement Items: Various sized hooks/spares, Various sized sinkers/weights/spares, Small weighted jigs, Various lengthed fishing line, snares, bate container, 550 cord, dutch tape, sling shot rubber and pouch, large treble hooks.

First Aid Items: Steristrips, adhesive tape, 4x4 pads/gauze/battle dressing, muslin bandage, anti-septic ointment, burn ointment, salt, sugar, eye wash, alcohol prep pads, suture kit, scalpel, vile of yarrow, medical latex gloves.

Signaling Items: Mirror, whistle, pyrotechnics (smoke, flare), brightly colored material, lights (flashlight, strobe, chem light), buzz saw

Shelter Items: Cordage, Finger saw, sewing kit and needles, poncho, space blanket, candle, duct tape, sleeping bag, axe, collapsible entrenchment tool.

Miscellaneous Items: Fingernail clippers, compass, notebook with pen/pencil, surgical tubing, wood eye screws and nails, fixed blade knife, multi-tool knife, sharpening stone, small flag, mess kit, small baggies, permanent marker, GPS w/ extra AA batteries, binoculars, night vision monocular w/ extra AA batteries, maps, dental hygiene kit, inflatable raft (maybe), radio (maybe), food rations (described in original opening thread), camo netting, rappelling harness, 120' rope, snap links.

cont.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
And of coarse boots, winter/summer clothing ( 2 sets each), vest, pack, belt(s), head gear. The pack will also be flexible. I can detach certain sections to turn it into a day pack (for hunting) or keep it together for movement. The core of my supplies (everything except miscellaneous items (excluding certain items such as maps, etc)) will be kept closest to me. I will also have an X amount of cash on me, for supplies, and if necessary, a means to get home. Hospitals in the area that I'm in will be clearly marked and pre-plotted, so if I need serious medical attention fast, I know where to go.

As far as weapons go: From the looks of it, I'll be leaving my rifle at home, and find another time to do my 1000 meter marksmanship training. I cant really spare the cash to invest in yet another rifle, if I was, I'd probably get a ar-15, but for the price, I might as well buy a piece of sheet car and modernize my trip a bit. A pistol would also be very expensive to get, mainly because of permits (and from the looks of it, I'd have to do it in several states). Would an air pistol/rifle perhaps suit me better, solely for hunting purposes? I know I wont fend off a wolves with it, and any other larger animal, the weapon would be ineffective at protecting me. My ka-bar (choice of my fixed blade knife) would be my only chance really. I will mostly bring a telescoping baton with me, so I could also use that. But yea, I would definitely feel more comfortable with an ar-15, and if I really wanted to shell out the money, an fn-ps90 (mainly due to size, much easier to conceal).

I also wanted to talk about the concern some people have with my going to the Rockies. Again, I have no intention of climbing any mountains or doing any form of serious mountaineering. From the start of my trip, I would head west from new york, going through upper new jersey (jersey city), then through Pennsylvania, then west Virginia/Ohio. At this point I can go in three different directions.

West: Continue onto Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri. Move onto Kansas, and onto Colorado. NOT CLIMBING MOUNTAINS. If it starts to get too extreme, I turn back. Simple as that. I'm not stupid - if I wanted to take myself out, I would find a less strenuous way to do it.

North West: Continue onto Indiana, Illinois, Iowa/Wisconsin. Then onto Minnesota, North/South Dakota to Montana/Wyoming.

South West: Continue onto Indiana/Kentucky, Missouri/Arkansas, Kansas/Oklahoma, and finally Colorado/New Mexico.

At the end of either of these destination, once I reach my limit, I stop. NOT CLIMBING MOUNTAINS. If I take the West or South West route, I may decide to explore a desert environment. Once I'm done, I turn around, and follow my chosen route home.

I did have a like-minded friend who wanted to do this with me, but he declined in the end. So I'll have to tough it out myself. Thanks to the solar charger, mentioned above, I now how a power source to charge a media player - always good to have entertainment to relax the mind. I wanted to see if I could bring my laptop, but obviously weight and power was a concern, not to mention the high risk of damage. Maybe I'll re look at it...

Alternatively, I did have an entirely different route in mind. I had read about the Appalachian Trail by chance one day, and it seemed like a worthy challenge for me. It is also another route I am considering.

cont.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
My main concern with traveling the other routes however is 'safe' land to pass through. Inevitably, i will pass through urban terrain. Hopefully I can limit it to resupply or area to pass through during the day, but it is possible that I end up in an urban environment, when I need to rest/camp. In order to avoid that, I need to know of area that are, for the most part, wilderness. As I had mentioned, I thought national parks/forests would be okay, but that's not always the case - I also most definitely don't want to go over private land, that just not right. Can anyone recommend 'safe' land in the states mentioned?

Also if anyone has anything to say about the terrain and weather in the states I've mentioned, any useful tips and bits of knowledge would be much appreciated!

Thanks again for your responses, comments, and thoughts!

Oh, almost forgot! Someone asked how I can take so much time off to do this. Its simple. I'm single. I have no debt. I have no other real attachments (other then the internet). And most importantly, crazy and scared about my future. I just feel that its worth doing, whether I make it the whole way or not. But far enough to show that if need be, I can survive.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Halz I think the car idea is your best bet. I say this mainly because you say you are learning. At least if you have a vechicle at your disposal you have a place to stash things and a way home.

I understand you wont be climbing any mountains, that does not change my concern for your safety. I think the lowest point in the state of Wyoming is more than a mile above sea level. Here, if you don't like the weather give it an hour it will change. (Maybe for the worse)

Books and the web can give you excellent knowledge on the topics, however none of them can make up for practical experience. To attempt something like you are saying alone is foolish. (No offence meant) There are just too many things that can go wrong.

The best advice I can give you if you intend to do this is use a car. Make a plan. Let friends and family know this plan. Stick to the plan. Check in with people often.

Although I respect and admire your conviction, I must stress again, there are just too many things that can go wrong to do something like this alone.

Good luck!

Spiritowl

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Halzman
This is to ensure that my body is well adapted to the physical stresses. It will also help me evaluate my health. If a serious injury would occur on this trip, this build up phase will show me exactly what it is, and from there I can determine whether I should still step off or not.

This is a nobel idea, however, learning to swim does not mean jumping in the deep end without a life guard.

I'd reconsider your proposal. I think you are trying to cram too much too quickly. IMO. But I wish you the best of luck.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join