It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

That Led Zepplin Devil Worship Discussion

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Perhaps we should get Tipper Gore on the case. A new CD stickering campaign: PARENTAL ADVISORY: MAY CONTAIN SATANIC REFERENCES.

You had me laughing on this one, and then I thought for a moment. You know this really isn't a bad idea. After all we have warnings on cigarettes and other dangerous substances. Devil worship is not exactly wholesome. Half of these occultists and devil worshipping rock and rollers die of drug abuse.

When "Do what though wilt", becomes the maxim, there will be excesses. Led Zeppelin is a primary example of this.

Let a band decide which they would prefer, risking sales for their 'religious' principles or toning down the rhetoric a bit for the preteens. My guess is that the bottom line would win in the end.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SevenThunders

Perhaps we should get Tipper Gore on the case. A new CD stickering campaign: PARENTAL ADVISORY: MAY CONTAIN SATANIC REFERENCES.

You had me laughing on this one, and then I thought for a moment. You know this really isn't a bad idea. After all we have warnings on cigarettes and other dangerous substances. Devil worship is not exactly wholesome. Half of these occultists and devil worshipping rock and rollers die of drug abuse.

When "Do what though wilt", becomes the maxim, there will be excesses. Led Zeppelin is a primary example of this.

Let a band decide which they would prefer, risking sales for their 'religious' principles or toning down the rhetoric a bit for the preteens. My guess is that the bottom line would win in the end.

You know that would just boost the mand's record sales, right? ALl the teenage rebelliods would race to by the latest forbidden records...

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Oh Nos! After all that reading my post will be on page 13

I was glad to see someone throw Bill Hicks in there.
For those who don't want to watch the whole Bill Hicks...

"if you are sitting around playing records backwards
listening for satanic messages... then you ARE SATAN..."

But you could watch the whole thing too as Bill Hicks
was truely gifted for telling jokes and is greatly missed.

Selling Records is a lot easier with rumors like this.
"This band worships the devil, you can hear it in their music!"

If I'm a teenager in the 80s hearing this(like I was) I'm getting
the record. Not because I want to hear and worship myself
but because I'm curious about wtfork ppl are talking about.

How many records did NWA sell AFTER the president
sent them a letter about the song "F the police" ?

A Lot is how many.

Ice Cube even thanks them for doing that on a DVD I have

Although Page was interested in the occult as many before
me pointed out, he DOES NOT worship satan at all.
Interested is not worship. Some people think that though.

Oh and as also mentioned. Working words backwards and then
in key to mean something without sounding like nonsense forwards
would be a serious waste of time. What you are hearing in stairway to
heaven is what you want to hear. adding in the fact that someone
told you what to listen for. It's coincidence that it happens to sound that
way. Yup lets go listen to all those christian bands with all the awesome
messages about god BACKWARDS and i bet we'll find something!

[edit on 23/12/08 by RenderGod]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by cruzion

yes, thats what led me to Sgt Peppers..Aleister Crowley was on the cover, back row second from left

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Jimmy Page by Those Who Know Him

This month's issue of Uncut magazine has a cover story entitled The Real Jimmy Page, containing extracts from interviews with people who have been close to him over the years. A few of the raw interview transcripts are posted on the Uncut site. The transcribed interviews are with Andrew Loog Oldham, Donovan, Richard Cole, Steve Albini and Michael Winner. Here's a page of links to the transcripts and other Page material on Uncut. The magazine article, additionally, carries remarks by Robert Plant, Jeff Beck (his oldest friend), Chris Dreja, Stephen Davis, Pamela des Barres, Kenneth Anger and many others.

Page and Zeppelin fans, enjoy. The rest of you may prefer this.

And now,

Originally posted by SevenThunders

Originally posted by Astyanax[/url]

You know this really isn't a bad idea... Devil worship is not exactly wholesome. Half of these occultists and devil worshipping rock and rollers die of drug abuse.

Just how many 'devil-worshipping rock and rollers' are there, then? Is their name Legion?

There have been a few dabblers, certainly. Mostly, they're alive and well, because they tend to be a little brainier than their cohorts - the legions of dumb rock 'n' roll animals who worshipped nothing but the Billboard charts and their drugs of choice and are now six feet under, sprouting weeds.

And really, anyone who thinks 'devil-worshipping rock 'n' rollers' have any kind of monopoly on hedonism and excess should brush up on the biographies of the giants of country music - think George Jones, Johnny Cash, the Louvin Brothers, the immortal (but all too mortal) Hank Williams and any number of others. One of the Louvins died of gunshot wounds inflicted by his wife, whom he was trying to strangle with a telephone cord at the time. Charming feller. In case you don't remember him, he and his brother were the ones who originally sang

I won't lose a friends by heeding God's call
For what is a friend who'd want me to fall?
Others find pleasure in things I despise
I like the Christian life...

Oh yes, the mealymouthed America-Jesus-Republican Party-lovin' hypocrites of Nashville could always teach them longhairs a thang or two about tyin' one on. And recording a gospel album next morning before the hangover wore off. Sunday morning coming down, y'know?

It may also be illuminating to read up on the lives of some of the great classical composers. A biography of Beethoven would be a fine place to start.

Whatever the genre, musicians are, by the nature and demands of their profession, boozehounds, drug fiends, skirt-chasers and gamblers. It's the nature of the beast. Satanism has precisely nothing to do with it.

Anyway, Led Zeppelin weren't Satanists. Jimmy Page may have been one for a while. As Michael Winner says in his Uncut interview, Page had grown out of all that well before his forties. As for the rest, Plant is a mystical pantheist who hasn't touched a drug since his son Karac died in 1978; John Paul Jones is a musical monomaniac who was once offered the job of musical director of King's College, Cambridge; and John Bonham's church was the local pub.

Satanism, gadzounds. A bogey to frighten children with. Don't you folk feel just a little bit silly, talking about it as though it actually meant anything?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   

You're probably right.
People probably do things all wrong in honor of the one they follow.
Customs to worship Good/Evil were developed by some confused individual some time ago and now we've been lead to believe that ...
A) if you follow X, you do this and
B) if you follow Y you do that.

..all while Jesus and Satan look at each other in amazement saying "that's not what I meant".

I listened to LedZep because I loved their music, even though there was a slight chance theirs may had been "Devil Music".
At the same I treated it more like a test.

If it was Satanic music I could always say I stared Evil in the face and was not tempted, all while thinking about Jesus in the desert.

Did I convert to Satanism?
NO.

And it's not because I listen to the musical composition more than I pay attention to the lyrics, one just has to be strong.

People are followers by nature. Which is why Tipper Gore went on her crusade just a few years later.
Her own husband realized this too, which is why he started in with all this Global Warming nonsense.

I don't know what it's like where y'all live but some states have already received inches and inches of Global Warming this week alone.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Reply to "Watcher In The Shadows"- Try "Apocalypse Culture" I & II, published by Feral House, & "The Family", written by Ed Sanders. You've never lived in California- not for long, anyway- or you wouldn't have asked. Deianera

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Don't you folk feel just a little bit silly, talking about it as though it actually meant anything?

Re-read my opening post. At the bottom I ask a few questions.
For example - does it even matter if they were or not.
So far - that question hasn't been addressed.

With the exception of 'stairway to heaven' I like Led Zepplin music.
So I'm not a led-basher in any sense of the word.
I thought this would be a fun discussion and all the led-heads
would have a fun thread to chat on.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Deianera

Both of which have nothing to do directly with Mr. Crowley.......
One about Charles Manson and one that has a part of it from Anton LeVay.
Neither of which are the man himself.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It is a fun thread to chat on.

And you're not one of those who seem to be 'talking about it as if it meant anything'. I won't name names, but a few of the posts on this thread sound pretty mediaeval.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Achilles Last Stand

This is the best Led Zeppelin resource I know on the Web - miles better than the official site. Of particular interest is the excellent FAQ; participants in this thread may be interested in the response to Q46, 'Is Jimmy Page a Satanist?'

Far more horrifying to true Zeppelin fans is the very long and detailed answer to Q18, 'Didn't Led Zeppelin copy (song title) from (blues artist)?' Cynics have called Led Zeppelin 'the greatest covers band in the world'. That's putting it a bit strong, but...

Enjoy, all.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

:-)

thanks for the education - and many links

always a fan of the music - but not as knowledgeable about the actual musicians - I have some reading to do

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

For example - does it even matter if they were or not. So far - that question hasn't been addressed.

I think it's been addressed - in a round about way - I've seen more than a few posts saying it doesn't matter

I'm one of them - it doesn't matter

their music stands on it's own. So, even if they were all hardcore satanists, and supposing after that that being a satanist means anything at all - you'd still have to wonder what real influence any of it could have on the listener

most of the time the messenger has no real control over the message

I don't believe that their beliefs were rooted in anything all that nefarious - but if they were - doesn't change my mind

it's brilliant music

With the exception of 'stairway to heaven' I like Led Zepplin music.

I'm always curious when I hear hardcore Zeppelin fans say something like this - always about Stairway to Heaven

it's one of the most popular and (maybe) over played songs ever. I know the band itself had issues with it

but, if you could listen to it without knowing that - and having heard it almost a zillion times - if it were possible to be objective about it - would you still dislike it? and why?

I'm really curious about whether people think it's just a bad song - or if it's being so popular and mainstream has anything to do with it

I thought this would be a fun discussion and all the led-heads would have a fun thread to chat on.

did you think it would be possible to talk about Led Zeppelin - first of all

then include satanism - without seeing any strong opinions?

don't worry - it's fun

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiramirabilis
I'm always curious when I hear hardcore Zeppelin fans say something like this - always about Stairway to Heaven ... why?

Three reasons -

1 - It really doesn't sound Zepplin. I can't explain it.
But it's lacking their Zepplin edge.

2 - It was played at nearly every stink'n prom that I went to and it was even the 'theme' of some of the proms. It really isn't 'official prom song' material and yet the idiots that were on the prom committees ('popular' kids who were tight a$$es) kept making this song some kind of trophey spotlight song. I couldn't stand the kids and therefore what they liked - I hated. It's a psychology thing I'm sure.

3 - I just don't like it. It's not 'me' music.

Sorry to the Zepplin folks that like it. I just don't - for a few reasons.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Well, Led Zeppelin WERE satanists. There's no point in even debating it. Page even went on television once and did an interview and said that they were satanists. Right from the horse's mouth.

I'll try to find the interview on youtube.

edit: Ok so he didn't say they were satanists, but Page said that they were followers of Aleister Crowley

[edit on 25-12-2008 by ProudWN]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudWN
he didn't say they were satanists, but Page said that they were followers of Aleister Crowley

We know that. And so we were talking about what exactly Aleister Crowley believed. And it looks like it comes down to what people call 'devil worship' is subjective.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

My number #4:

They have so many songs that are so much better than STH (the Rain Song, Going to California, Misty Mountain Hop, Over the HIlls and Far aWay, Kashmir, Fool in the Rain, Thank You,(Especially the live BBC album cut!
) Dancin' Days, virtually anything else off of PG, to name a few). But so many people know only that song.

My number #5:

I played live music for a few years and I got so freakin tired of people saying "Dude, can you play Stairway? (Or 'Freebird.')

[edit on 25-12-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

They have so many songs that are so much better than STH (the Rain Song, Going to California, Misty Mountain Hop, Over the HIlls and Far aWay, Kashmir, Fool in the Rain, Thank You,(Especially the live BBC album cut!
) Dancin' Days, virtually anything else off of PG, to name a few). But so many people know only that song.

I have lots of Led Zeppelin on my mp3 player but no STH:

- Dancing Days
- Kashmir
- Good Times Bad Times
- Immigrant Song
- Rock And Roll
- Trampled Under Foot
- When the levee breaks
- Black dog
- Whole lotta love
- going to california
- misty mountain hop

I mean come on, those songs are wayyy better than STH. Don't get me wrong, STH is a great song, but the above songs are much better!

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Another reply to "Watcher In The Shadows"- the forum doesn't seem to be only about Crowley or Page; the original paragraph of mine that you seemed to take exception to had to do with Jack Whiteside Parsons, the OTO, a Moonchild, Ron Hubbard of Scientology ill-fame & much else- especially, the Temple of Astarte/Process groups. For the naive & uninformed, they're all connected. The books I've mentioned- Apocalypse Culture I & II- have all to do with educating the uninformed with all of the above; no fair writing it off as though it's nothing (as though no one can look it all up on Wikipedia or Ask.com). You're covering for something or someone, perhaps?

The Los Angeles Times of June 18th, 1952 will tell of the unfortunate demise of Mr. Parsons- & the subsequent suicide of his mother. Again, the deaths of Carac Plant & Jon Bonham are in recent memory. My point is- that Crowley, his "magick", & much else- is not the sort of thing that ordinary mortals (& drug addicts) like Jimmy Page should be messing with. They can't control it- & IT KILLS PEOPLE- OR WORSE.

A careful researcher will discover that any & all people who have had congress with the above occult groups have come to grief or to bad, sticky ends. For more, free info- see the Illuminati News website for David McGowan's articles of Laurel Canyon & the origins of the "hippie" movement- & Rense.com for good articles about all & sundry.

Deianera

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Deianera

Nice sensationalist view.
Too bad it's completely false. I happen to be a practioner of Ritual Magick and know more then a little bit about The Golden Dawn though I am not a member of OTO. That also being said Wicca also has been influenced by Mr Crowley.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join