It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herpes Virus Killing Coral Reefs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Herpes Virus Killing Coral Reefs

www.livescience.com

Corals get cold sores too. Only, for corals, a herpes virus infection isn’t just annoying. It can be lethal, and it and other diseases are possibly a big factor in the deaths of coral reefs that humans are causing throughout the world’s oceans, new research shows.

And what was the number one disease affecting the corals? Herpes viruses.

“They dominate almost all the viruses that are present,” Thurber told LiveScience.

Herpes viruses are naturally found in many different animals (95 percent of humans carry some kind of herpes virus).

“Everybody in this room has at least a couple herpes viruses running around,” Rohwer said at the symposium, causing some in the audience to chuckle. “And when you get stressed, or immuno-compromised, they’re going to start hopping out and giving you little cold sores or other wounds that we won’t talk about.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.time.com

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I recently read that coral is expected to go extinct in the not too distant future, and I have to wonder if this isn't a bigger natural disaster looming upon us than global warming. I also remember reading years ago that Herpes was the number one killer of coral. Funny, the story about the extinction of coral didn't get much media play, maybe people just aren't interested.

Something else to note about herpes, taking L-Lysine completely prevents herpes breakouts, but our giant pharma industry seems to have succeeded in squelching that information. The greed of big pharma might be the death of us all. Occasoinally I listen on the radio to this show called "Love Line" which is fairly popular, and the doctor on the show would always tout Lysine when herpes was mentioned. The other night the show came on the radio so I listened while driving home, and the subject of herpes came up, and instead of talking about Lysine, the good doctor reccommended prescription medicine. Corporate control of media at its finest.

Back to coral. Coral reefs might be the most important producer of life on our planet. If ever there was a time for Humans to act to save our environment, doing something about preventing the extinction of coral reefs should be a major goal. Why the overwhelming silence from the media on this subject, just not enough profit?

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I've found BHT like a half gram a day holds down the herpes outbreaks, don't know about lysine...with the BHT you can't drink alcohol, and I think also barbiturates must be avoided...plus your corpse stays fresh like Twinkies...
But as for the corals, I think their skeletons are slated to dissolve as the seas acidify, as the atmospheric carbon dioxide gets banked into the oceans...them polyps are going to have to evolve rapidly, I expect...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
My only question is....

What idiot diver tried to hump a coral reef? Wouldn't that chafe and be quite painful?

There is no end of retards in this world,
is there.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I started to ask how coral got herpes, but I have changed my mind. I don't think I really want to know how that happened...

On a more serious note, is there anything on this planet that we aren't killing off or destroying?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

It seems that many other things are threatening coral, but what else is new when it comes to humans destroying the earth? I would imagine if someone had a genital herpes outbreak or a cold sore or two and got into the ocean, the virus from the open sores would easily enter the water and ultimately attach to coral. I don't think it can be spread to other humans in this way, though. If so, it's a long shot.

Something else to note about herpes, taking L-Lysine completely prevents herpes breakouts, but our giant pharma industry seems to have succeeded in squelching that information. The greed of big pharma might be the death of us all. Occasoinally I listen on the radio to this show called "Love Line" which is fairly popular, and the doctor on the show would always tout Lysine when herpes was mentioned. The other night the show came on the radio so I listened while driving home, and the subject of herpes came up, and instead of talking about Lysine, the good doctor reccommended prescription medicine. Corporate control of media at its finest.

I don't listen to the new loveline because Stryker sucks. I only download Adam era shows now and listen to them, but that is one thing I don't like about Dr. Drew is that he is such a slave to big pharma and believes the only way to treat things is with prescription medication. He's actually scolded people who think supplements work many times and I find I just want to strangle him for his ignorance.

I bet no one knows that Echinacea will cure a UTI because it kills the E-Coli bacteria which is the most common cause of bladder, kidney (result of untreated UTI that spreads up into the bladder and kidney. An untreated such kidney infection will probably kill you) and urinary tract infections. Echinacea will wipe out all three and I know this because I've completely cured myself recently using this method and a lot of water, some extra vitamin C and cranberry concentrate to help the process. Most importantly, no antibiotics recklessly taking out good bacteria along with the bad.

I am a big believer in supplements and know they are effective against many things for many people. You just have to know what to take and be able to honestly evaluate your symptoms, but more importantly, you have to be able to admit if and when your methods aren't working leaving you no other choice but to bite the bullet and see a doctor.

Sorry, the Dr. Drew/big pharma thing took things a little off topic. Perhaps the effectiveness of supplements would make a good thread by itself.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Chicken and egg? Did corals get the virus from us, or visa versa?
Anyway, somewhat ironic, one of the most effective things against herpes is red sea algae; AKA Dulce seaweed found in your grocery store.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Kratos1220

Yeah, there are numerous contributing factors to the decimation of our oceans coral reefs. Not only global warming, oceanic absorbtion of carbon dioxide, but also over fishing which is throwing off the balance between coral and micro-organisms, and apparently the herpes rna virus is one of those micro-organisms, the one wrecking the most havoc.

What drew me to the original article when I read about herpes attacking our coral reefs is that this virus seems to be everywhere. As stated in my external quote, 95% of humans carry around the herpes virus, and it is spread thoughout nature at aroud the same numbers. This virus that was realitively unknown, or ordinary thirty years ago, seems to have taken over the planet.

Herpes can be spread by casual contact, and apparently carried by water as well, being that it attacks coral. Herpes really isn't a veneral disease by classic defintions, like Ghonorea or Syphilis, which are spread almost exclusively by sexual contact. Herpes, like HPL, can be spread by many, many ways, sexual contact only being but one of them. Heck, by the new difinitions, the common cold could be classified as a veneral disease.

L-Lysine is an amino acid, one of the essential amino acids from my understanding. You can buy it like any vitamin, and it is extremely effective in preventing herpes outbreaks, whether you have cold sorces or genital sores, and helps to clear up outbreaks quickly.

Considering the huge proportion of people and animals infected with herpes, if herpes turns deadly the virus could wipe out almost the entire planet. Reminds me of a certain movie currently out in theaters. Maybe all someone needs to do now is flip a switch, and herpes starts to work like smallpox.

new topics

top topics

join