It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming attack on ATS by MSM

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by angel of lightangelo
Unless anyone can show some stats or case studies or even one example of how a conspiracy site contributed in any way to anyone's mental health issues, this argument is pointless.

Only you are engaging in argument while the rest are enjoying a civil debate. You are welcome to join, but please do not bash individuals who finally provided you with evidence of the original claim.

Edit: This argument also is not pointless, considering it directly addresses an aspect of all of our lives.

[edit on 12/16/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Yoda411

You're right, I was reading things into his post here that are really from the other thread.

As it happens, I'm one of the people who "buy into" or at least don't rule out, his story

And it always sets me off when I see people assume that they can diagnose others based on an internet post, and get on a moral high horse about how awful it is that some people aren't trying to get him to see the truth.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411

Unless anyone can show some stats or case studies or even one example of how a conspiracy site contributed in any way to anyone's mental health issues, this argument is pointless.

Only you are engaging in argument while the rest are enjoying a civil debate. You are welcome to join, but please do not bash individuals who finally provided you with evidence of the original claim.

Actually 3 other people called you out on your clear misconception about this story. I am sorry that it bother you that I am calling you on your lie and your inability to just admit that maybe, just maybe you misspoke, maybe you were wrong, maybe you should back up a little and really look into this subject and see if there is any truth to it.

What we have is some people who thing some stuff. The NEWS thought it too. They got together and said it. We trust the news. You believe this story at least enough to call it factual and agree with it. Well, what are you opinions based on then? So far all you have shown is this article. I am pointing out that this article is worthless so in order to make the case you are trying to make, there needs to be a fact or two thrown in. But you go on.

Furthermore, this thread is about the attack on ATS by the mainstream media. I believe discussing the news reporting factless stories is more on topic in this thread than anything you have said in the last few pages. Am I wrong? Did you not lie? Did the story contain facts? Is this thread about mental illness in any way?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Professor,

I rarely, if at all, discount any person's belief of reptilian's, ET's, UFO's, etc...

It is literally impossible to decipher how the pyramids were built and to decipher other miracles of life...So, if someone here believes in reptilian life here on earth, then so be it...

That is the point of this site...To offer our views and discuss "not normally discussed" ideas or observations...And to NOT judge...

For credibility, and knowing the potential attack of others, I graduated from the U.S. "University of Pennsylvania"...an Ivy League University here...Google me...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by americandingbat
And it always sets me off when I see people assume that they can diagnose others based on an internet post, and get on a moral high horse about how awful it is that some people aren't trying to get him to see the truth.

Surely it is not possible to diagnose scientifically a mental health issue over the internet. Paranoia doesn't take much to diagnose however, no matter the severity. It is increasingly common, and if you read that thread it wouldn't be a long shot.

While we can debate whether or not paranoia falls into the category of a mental illness, I have seen myself first hand experience of conspiracy theories creating paranoia in individual cases amongst those whom I come in contact with in real life (not the internet).

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Also, a "closed mind is the MOST expensive thing you can own..."

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by angel of lightangelo

As C. Wright Mills observed in The Sociological Imagination:

[people] often feel that their private lives are a series of traps. They sense that within their everyday worlds, they cannot overcome their troubles, and in this feeling, they are often quite correct: What ordinary [people] are directly aware of and what they try to do are bounded by the private orbits in which they live; their visions and their powers are limited to the close-up scenes of job, family, neighborhood; in other milieux, they move vicariously and remain spectators. And the more aware they become, however vaguely, of ambitions and of threats which transcend their immediate locales, the more trapped they seem to feel.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Only you are engaging in argument while the rest are enjoying a civil debate.

I forgot to mention. You really really need to get a dictionary. Here from your favorite site

ar⋅gu⋅ment   /ˈɑrgyəmənt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ahr-gyuh-muhnt] Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. an oral disagreement; verbal opposition; contention; altercation: a violent argument.
2. a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.
3. a process of reasoning; series of reasons: I couldn't follow his argument.
4. a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: This is a strong argument in favor of her theory.
5. an address or composition intended to convince or persuade; persuasive discourse.

Can we please stop having debates over semantics, you keep losing those.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Yes I do. Believe me, this is not about a slap fight with yoda. This is about mainstream news spreading bad info about mental illness. That really really bothers me.

Moving on...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Yoda411

I did read that thread, and responded

And told him that I thought if he wasn't bothered by what was going on, and it wasn't interfering with his work or personal relationships, I thought he should just ride with it

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   

As C. Wright Mills observed in ...

What is this? This is twice now with no context. It is against TOS to post the exact same thing twice so could you add a little context. Since English seems not to be your first language, I apologize for our misunderstanding. Please try to be a little more clear and explain to me what this response was to and about or supposed to prove or whatever.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Yes I do. Believe me, this is not about a slap fight with yoda. This is about mainstream news spreading bad info about mental illness. That really really bothers me.

Moving on...

Thread title : The coming attack on ATS by MSM

Even mentioned that yet?

link   
After reading the last 4 pages or so, I want to say this and you may feel free to bash, slander, discredit, or mock me all you like.

I too see a lot of people putting up ridiculous citations here such as: you tube, Wikipedia (user definitions and information), google video, joe schmuck's backyard analysis center (that is a joke to illustrate a point) and web sites they themselves have no clue as to the credibility of the information.

We all know there are some legitimate conspiracies here, most of us (myself included) believe in a lot of them especially those concerning the government (perhaps if they told the truth once in a while so many people wouldn't question them); however, if you use one single source as a citation without cross checking it against 3 or 4 different sources, not only are you foolish, you are also doing everyone here a big disservice and only helping to strengthen the government's argument with the sheep that believe everything they say.

Anytime I have ever listed a source here, I have cross referenced it with at least 2 other sources and in the event I could not find other sources to substantiate their information, I will state that in my post as to not mislead other people.

We accuse the media here on a daily basis of using disinformation, yet many times we do the same thing. This is not responsible reporting of information, not by the media and a lot of times (definitely not always or even half the time) by us as well.

[edit on 12/16/2008 by DarrylGalasso]

link   

I stated in the other thread how I suffered a brief bout of paranoia after coming to this site. Before coming here I had never had any history of paranoia. The actual events occurred earlier this year when I had been on this site for a few months. The first time I was walking back from a friend's house to my dorm when a car stopped near me. For some reason the only thought I had was that these were government agents after me. I sprinted the rest of the way to my dorm and ended up sleeping with a screwdriver under my pillow. The second time something similar happened. I was walking home from my friend's house again and a car stopped near me and once again assumed it was government agents. I sprinted to the nearest tree and hid in it for about an hour. At which point I ran up a hill and ended up sleeping in another dorm because I was certain they were waiting for me in my room. While I don't have any hard proof to say that these bouts were brought on by my time spent on ATS, I believe strongly that it was the cause for my delusions. In fact after this second occurrence I took a break from the site for a while and the delusions, as well as some anxiety and stress I was feeling disappeared.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyingfish

Why don't you get a room?

If you are jealous or lonely, please feel free to say a bunch of ignorant stuff and I will be happy to point out your ignorance too.

NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THE OP.

Yoda just brought the argument from the other threads in here. I tried not to get roped in but the whole thread went there. You can sneer all you like but there are already two other threads he is losing this fight in. Show some respect for the OP here.

This thread is about mainstream media and it's attacking of sites like ATS.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Thank you for being a part of my social experiment.

You have conclusively proven that you are personally filled with rage in a personal vendetta towards an individual whom has a different opinion than you on a specific article hosted by ABC.

While you have still failed to prove your opinion, you have helped us conclusively find that you are on a delusional, paranoid, schizophrenic rampage towards anybody whom disagrees with you on any subject.

While I invite you to continue your personal vendettas, I also invite you to begin contributing something other than bashing of individual beliefs. It may prevent further outbreaks of this rage, and possibly prevent any further delusional ideals which you may be experiencing.

Edit: Possible proof of ATS linked to mental health issues? You decide.

[edit on 12/16/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
I am starting this thread in response to the recent comments from ABC that tried to link conspiracy websites to mental illness . It seems to me , and I hope that I am wrong , that the first shots have been fired in a coming attack on sites such as ATS that promote free and open discussion , no matter where it takes us . Given the history of MSM I see this notion being perpetuated and debated with a growing campaign targeting sites such as ATS . These recent comments mixed with the desire of many to start regulating the internet cause me great alarm and concern . All we need now is one nut with a gun being linked to a site such as ATS to see the spark that starts the fire .
When you look at the current state of world affairs it is becoming more and more unpatriotic to go agents group thought . More and more we will become labeled as fanatics or nut jobs , becoming the punch line of late night TV jokes and scorned in the media . We need to take heed of these recent comments and watch with a close eye to insure that our right to free speech and thought is always a protected right .

[edit on 16-12-2008 by Max_TO]

Just thought everyone could use reminder. This thread is not about mental illness and most certainly not about telling me what you already told me in another thread.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Okay gang...have a good night...I put up a good fight and am tired and heading to bed...

Hopefully, y'all can figure this out...Next!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
This entire thread was created because of the two prime responders talking around the issue, throwing the word mental illness in, and insisting that this is their definition of civility, and true ATS, deny ignorance debators are being uncivil. And no one is coming on to challenge their takeover. But they're agents. So have the agents taken over in plain view?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join