It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming attack on ATS by MSM

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
I will however point out that there are many mediums that a mentally ill person can use to perpetuate there illness , not just sites such as ATS . To list just a few , Rock and Roll , Video Games , Rap Music , ABC News reports and so on .

I wouldn't disagree entirely. Does this not prove ATS could be used to perpetuate a mental illness if stated other sources could do so as well? The only reason I would categorize ATS as being worst than the mainstream sources brought forth, is because it can support delusional theories as if they were a part of reality.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Yoda411

Yes but it really doesn't matter " what we may categorize " what matters is that we stand up for our rights .

The mentally ill will always find one outlet or another to perpetuate there illness and we cant ever allow the erosion of our God given rights by no man , sain or not sain based on what goes through a ill persons mind .

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocksarerocks
reply to post by Max_TO

Sorry, but if you look around this website you will find PLENTY of mentally ill people and PLENTY of liars. The trick is figuring out who is lying and who is delusional.

Out of all the topics I've ever browsed in Aliens and UFO's about 1% have had any factual information in them. The rest are fake videos and man made objects.

You are aware that dishonesty is not an illness right? Many people lie to get attention. That does not indicate they suffer from any mental illnesses whatsoever. As far as PLENTY of mentally ill around here, you are going to have to explain how you would know the status of so many posters mental health. It seems some hippa laws have been violated.

Or....is this just more people just saying more stuff because they like how it sounds?

This story was a blatant attack on its competition. You are going to buy into it too huh? Cool, exactly which fact or stat from that 'news' story convinced you? What proof do you have that ATS is full of the mentally ill? Where is lying in the DSM?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411
sources brought forth, is because it can support delusional theories as if they were a part of reality.

Delusional like this ABC story that you believe. Hmmmm..... What makes an ATS delusion any worse that this delusion from MSM that has gone on this long, this far?

There is a reason this fallacious story is such a problem. Aside from the fact that it has no merit, facts, examples, or truth in it. THAT IS NOT HOW MENTAL ILLNESSES WORK!!!!!!!!! That has been cleared up and ignored in the original thread where it was appropriate. How does this thread keep slipping into that same debate. What is the title of this thread? People need to stop using this to bolster one of the worst examples of news I have ever seen.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Relating to this topic, there has been a similar attack to a website called
www.projectcamelot.org. Please visit the website for further inormation regarding this matter...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by gunner4life

I heard PrisonPlanet has been suffering from denials of service as well but I cannot always trust things with that name attatched. If this is another example of what is coming, at least for now we have a place to gather the evidence.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by angel of lightangelo

Please provide evidence that would significantly contribute to the theory in which AboveTopSecret is under attack by the main stream media.

Also please provide evidence that NBC does not stand to gain from your overwhelming emotional reaction which further promotes link-sharing of this article, and thus promoting unique visitors as well as advertising revenue.

MSNBC advertises on AboveTopSecret because both stand to benefit from each other. MSM provides a 'credible' source of news, while ATS creates conspiracy theories which surround them. I see a direct link between each other, and the "attack on ATS" is just another way to generate revenue for both companies.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Please provide evidence that would significantly contribute to the theory in which AboveTopSecret is under attack by the main stream media.

Did I say it was a fact that ATS is under attack?

Also please provide evidence that NBC does not stand to gain from your overwhelming emotional reaction which further promotes link-sharing of this article, and thus promoting unique visitors as well as advertising revenue.

Why? I never contended that they do not stand to gain from reactionary responses. Since you brought it up, how many people are posting about this article here? How much ATS traffic has been driven over there? Less than 30 people so far. Wow, their ad revenue must be breaking records from those extra 30 clicks. Thanks for pointing that out, again.

MSNBC advertises on AboveTopSecret because both stand to benefit from each other. MSM provides a 'credible' source of news, while ATS creates conspiracy theories which surround them. I see a direct link between each other, and the "attack on ATS" is just another way to generate revenue for both companies.

Yup, but this one fell pretty darn flat. Unless you have some data as to the traffic driven to that page through reading about it on ATS or people flocking to ATS due to the article that you are hiding from us.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Finally finished reading through this whole thread. I love the debates going on here.

It's just unfortunate that Yoda doesn't know what a "fact" is. It seems that if you read something that sounds good to you, it's automatically a fact because you agree with it. Not one of the examples you posted and portrayed as "fact" were indeed facts, they weren't even close. You should try to learn how to admit when you're wrong, otherwise you end up making yourself look silly when you are and can't admit it. Opinions aren't facts no matter who says them. When they say things like "I believe", "it may..", "it could..", "it's possible..", "he argued that..." or anything similar, it's not fact. That's called an opinion, Yoda.
Try to understand that because it's really hard not to laugh at things you are trying to convince us are facts. They just aren't, not even close.

If conspiracy websites have the effect of paranoia on someone who is prone to it, so what? There's a million other things in this world that could feed into paranoia that I'm sure are far worse than conspiracies, so that begs the question: why single out conspiracy websites? Would MSM have a reason to attack conspiracy websites? I would say yes without question. They posted an article without facts that sounded good enough to people like you, Yoda, so that they wouldn't notice there weren't any real facts to be found.

I think someone who suffers from paranoia and delusions will find something to be paranoid and delusional about without the internet. I'm sure something as mundane as a press-on nails commercial could set someone off because let's face it, women gluing nail extensions on their fingers to make themselves more attractive is weird. Oh no, maybe they are putting on claws being produced by aliens and anyone who is scratched by them becomes zombie aliens! AHHHH!!!

Singling out one thing when there are boat loads of things is suspect in and of itself to me and it doesn't seem accidental that this was their target of choice. It has nothing to do with mental illness, I think it has to do with us getting too close to the truth. If anything, I think it's a sign that we are getting to them.

I can definitely see the possibility that this is the beginning of MSM's attempt to belittle conspiracy theories, the websites that promote the discussion of them and the people who believe in them. I think they are testing the water to see how people react to this idea and that will determine if and how they proceed with this. I don't think it's nothing, though.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by angel of lightangelo

I'm sorry that you take this discussion so personally, but there are those of us who are actually seeking to contribute and obtain real answers.

This thread is about the supposed "coming attack on ATS by MSM" is it not? So why would you criticize me for asking for the evidence in which supports this outrageous claim?

The question is not necessarily directed towards you, but directed to those whom intend to participate in legitimate discussion which surrounds the claim this thread has made.

This is why it is obvious to everyone that you have set yourself out on a personal vendetta rather than contributing to an intelligent discussion. Not only are you making it harder for any real information to be obtained from this discussion, you are also preventing individuals with legitimate ideals to contribute their ideals.

Your position is ignorant, and you do not have the ability to see two sides to a story. Due to this stance in which you have taken, you have completely closed your mind to the possibility of the latter. This is equally as ignorant as any individual whom read the story and immediately took the stance that all conspiracy theorists are mentally ill.

Instead you walked away from the story with a delusional, and emotional, reaction as though you were personally attacked for being a contributor to said websites. This was the intention of the article, and whether you want to admit to it or not, you have fell victim to the mind control of the media that you so emotionally have set out to fight against.

Not only does this mean you have fell victim to your own persecution, it also means that you are paranoid and delusional in your opinion surrounding NBC's article. You have brought on yourself the paranoia that you have personally been attacked, and the delusion which supports conspiracy theory websites are under attack by the main stream media.

I will make my point once again which is in direct contribution to the structure of this thread, a subject in which you so steadily seem to avoid.

Main stream media provides the structure in which conspiracy theories are based off. Conspiracy theories provide the structure for individuals to pursue 'truth' through the use of main stream media. In this way both websites contribute to each others popularity and therefor would never have the intention of the other to be shut down or censored. It is further supported by the advertisement of the main stream media on ATS.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Yoda411

Dude, Nice post!

I do see a trend in personal vendetta from some of the people in this forum. You make a lot of valid points which have been overlooked because you are right, we are all the victims of our own immediate opinions.

Starred and pwned.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I'm sorry that you take this discussion so personally, but there are those of us who are actually seeking to contribute and obtain real answers.

This thread is about the supposed "coming attack on ATS by MSM" is it not? So why would you criticize me for asking for the evidence in which supports this outrageous claim?

Dude! Totally radical post. The way you demand facts from and internet forum and do not need any facts to buy what ABC tells you. That is so awesome!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Dude! Totally radical post. The way you demand facts from and internet forum and do not need any facts to buy what ABC tells you. That is so awesome!

I'm sorry to take sides angel I was going to stay far out of this, but it has gone on long enough. You are officially beating a dead horse at this point, and the ABC article makes no definite conclusions as to whether or not conspiracy websites cause mental illness'. I have seen Yoda mention this a billion times at this point.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

The question is not necessarily directed towards you, but directed to those whom intend to participate in legitimate discussion which surrounds the claim this thread has made.

So now you want to be on topic? Have you read any of the crap you have been posting here? You have been nothing but off topic. I have asked you to get on topic more than once. Now that you joined me, you are going to pretend that I am wandering off somewhere else? Stop worrying so much about lying to me and try to just add to a thread for a change.

This is why it is obvious to everyone that you have set yourself out on a personal vendetta rather than contributing to an intelligent discussion. Not only are you making it harder for any real information to be obtained from this discussion, you are also preventing individuals with legitimate ideals to contribute their ideals.

Everyone? The people that starred me, posted to agree with me, and U2U'd me might disagree. But hey, call it personal if you like. You want to get on topic get on topic.

Your position is ignorant, and you do not have the ability to see two sides to a story. Due to this stance in which you have taken, you have completely closed your mind to the possibility of the latter. This is equally as ignorant as any individual whom read the story and immediately took the stance that all conspiracy theorists are mentally ill.

I am ignorant because I demanded facts from a news story? Silly me.

Instead you walked away from the story with a delusional, and emotional, reaction as though you were personally attacked for being a contributor to said websites. This was the intention of the article, and whether you want to admit to it or not, you have fell victim to the mind control of the media that you so emotionally have set out to fight against.

You have no clue what "rebuked, fact, reiteration" and I am sure several other words mean, why should I expect you to understand anything I have said. I did not walk away from this story with any reaction. I reacted to people on ATS discussing an apparent news article that failed to produce any facts. To me, that seems important.

Not only does this mean you have fell victim to your own persecution, it also means that you are paranoid and delusional in your opinion surrounding NBC's article. You have brought on yourself the paranoia that you have personally been attacked, and the delusion which supports conspiracy theory websites are under attack by the main stream media.

How am I paranoid, delusional, or persecuted -selfstyled or not? You are going to have to explain this to me. I am not running around freaking out about this. I am not even worried about this. I see the news offering opinion and disguising it as news. I see you believing them even though there are still no examples to prove the case made in that "news" story.

I will make my point once again which is in direct contribution to the structure of this thread, a subject in which you so steadily seem to avoid.

Main stream media provides the structure in which conspiracy theories are based off. Conspiracy theories provide the structure for individuals to pursue 'truth' through the use of main stream media. In this way both websites contribute to each others popularity and therefor would never have the intention of the other to be shut down or censored. It is further supported by the advertisement of the main stream media on ATS.

I never claimed to disagree with that stuff. Thanks for getting on topic finally. I am glad you could join us. Now...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

You are still pursuing your personal vendetta versus making a civil, intelligent contribution to this article.

[edit on 12/17/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Hereis a news story that promotes the idea that conspiracy websites are harmful without ever once providing any manner of data to back that claim up. How would that do under peer review?

The news, especially broadcast news, is supposed to report facts. Journalistic integrity used to mean something. You no longer care if they mix facts with opinions?

What if the next story is their opinion of how Wu Tang Clan fans are all slightly retarded. In fact, maybe I will go report that one. You don't need any facts to buy ABC's premise. How about this one? Where is the line? Is it where you agree with the premise or not? Is it how many "accredited psychologists" they get to talk? If facts and truth are no longer necessary for news reports then what standard of reliability must an idea reach before they can report it to people who will mistakenly believe it was factual?

There is your example, Dude.

and this post is very on topic. If we can stay there, I can be civil.

edit to correct link.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl

I'm sorry to take sides angel I was going to stay far out of this, but it has gone on long enough. You are officially beating a dead horse at this point, and the ABC article makes no definite conclusions as to whether or not conspiracy websites cause mental illness'. I have seen Yoda mention this a billion times at this point.

Don't apologize to me because you do not see the harmful implications of this. Enjoy your future fascist Amerika then. The only reason this seems like a personal vendetta is because there is only one person willing to keep saying the same incredibly ignorant things over and over again. Please, lay your ignorance all over the floor and I will be happy to skewer you as well. It has nothing to do with personal. It has to do with my concern for news programs spreading baseless propaganda and people not just believing it but even claiming it was factual when it itself did not claim to be factual. That is a scary future my friend. I am not picky, I will be a jerk to all of you if you like. Just step up and say something stupid to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Doesnt take a genius to understand this. Just look at some of the threads, posts and responses on this website. Actually look at a LOT of the threads, posts, and responses on this website. There are definitely some sick, clinically depressed and disturbed folks on here. You can usually distinguish between the posts by 14 year old kids who run rampant on here and the folks who think the boogey man is out to get them and is peering through their bedroom window as they type on here.

As for me, i think its just comical. Friend told me about this site a few years back and its like watching a train wreck...i cant take my eyes off of it!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Here is a news story that promotes the idea that conspiracy websites are harmful without ever once providing any manner of data to back that claim up. How would that do under peer review?

Did you really just link to another thread, which you created, surrounding this ABC article as evidence that ATS is under attack by MSM?

I find that statement of credible evidence to be completely absurd and bias.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Don't apologize to me because you do not see the harmful implications of this.

Do you disagree with the article because of it's credibility, or do you disagree with it out of fear of it being true?

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join