It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming attack on ATS by MSM

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411
The fact being stated is:
The concept of conspiracy theories promoting harm to individuals susceptible to mental illness is currently under debate among psychiatrists.

LOLOLOLOL. The fact is that they have no facts so they are still looking.

Is that right?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by angel of lightangelo

The fact being stated is:
The concept of conspiracy theories promoting harm to individuals susceptible to mental illness is currently under debate among psychiatrists.

LOLOLOLOL. The fact is that they have no facts so they are still looking.

Is that right?

That is the fact, and nobody (most obviously including myself) is trying to argue that this issue is still open for debate.

The hypothesis is yet to be proven true or false.

I have stated repeatedly it is in my own opinion that conspiracy theory websites promote paranoia and delusions.

It is however a fact that mental health professionals are left with a very hard diagnosis of delusion vs. conspiracy theory.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
All we need now is one nut with a gun being linked to a site such as ATS to see the spark that starts the fire .

If this has not been mentioned yet, then you all may be hearing some very interesting information for the first time. A "nut with a gun," who did have a connection to ATS, scenario did actually take place a while back. It involved a Native American school shooter, I believe. The shooter, if I recall correctly, was a member of ATS

[edit on 17-12-2008 by they see ALL]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

That is the fact, and nobody (most obviously including myself) is trying to argue that this issue is still open for debate.

The hypothesis is yet to be proven true or false.

I have stated repeatedly it is in my own opinion that conspiracy theory websites promote paranoia and delusions.

It is however a

I seriously cannot believe you. The fact is that the hypothesis has neither been proven true or false? What the hell????

fact that mental health professionals are left with a very hard diagnosis of delusion vs. conspiracy theory.

The fact is they are left with questions. How do you not see that is not a fact. "The fact is I do not know something." That is not a &^$*#&@ fact!

[edit on 17-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Ok lets break it down.

I think it is logically sound that people who have paranoid personalities will gravitate towards conspiracies more readily than most people. However there are many mentally normal people on this website, in fact i am willing to place money on there being more normal people than paranoid ones on here.

The simple fact is that paranoid people will think paranoid thoughts whether the website is there or not. They simply latch on to these theories and often choose the most outlandish ones (Icke and lizard people). However saying that a few paranoid people latch onto these theories makes them all devoid of reality is like saying when one crazy man believes the earth is round that it immediately follows that it's flat.

Just because someone nuts believes something does not mean that thing doesn't exist. The paranoid will look for something that justifies their feelings and a conspiracy website fits nicely in with that. However as i said earlier, it has always seemed to me that the majority who post here are every day people who check their facts.

Let's also remember that conspiracies have existed throughout history and shown to be true even a hundred years later. It seems like the mainstream media equates conspiracy theorist with paranoid person to make it seem like there are no conspiracies anymore.

To Yoda411 and angel of lightangelo

You both raise some valid points however i must say i side with angel of lightangelo on this one. Just because a paranoid person believes a conspiracy theory does not mean that anyone who believes that theory is paranoid. Classically to discredit an idea you don't like you simply attack the proponents of the theory rather than the theory itself. So by implying that anyone who believes anything not given to them by main steam media is paranoid basically sweeps their voice into a deep hole never to be heard again.

You should be aware Yoda411 that the great dictators have used this strategy for many years. They didn't always call their opponents paranoid, it depended on the climate but one of the most common ways to discredit someones ideas is to call them unpatriotic. Calling someone paranoid is just a different approach.

Saying that i don't believe all this reptillian theory nonsense. There is never any proof to show. As for the control of the media...........well that i believe simply because there are numerous stories of Rupert Murdoch burying news. Reporters for his companies have spoken out about it.

Or how about those two reporters who wanted to expose monsanto for what their drugs were doing to cows? The drug was designed to make cows produce more milk and it did, but it caused horrific damage to the cows. When they tried to publish it they were told to bury the story, offered money, threatened with being fired or sued. Eventually they took it to court as whistleblowers.

So you see, conspiracies and media manipulation happen a lot.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

fact that mental health professionals are left with a very hard diagnosis of delusion vs. conspiracy theory.

The fact is they are left with questions. How do you not see that is not a fact. "The fact is I do not know something." That is not a &^$*#&@ fact!

[edit on 17-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

How is that not a fact? Is it not a massive challenge to diagnose a delusional individual vs. one whom believes an outrageous conspiracy theory?

[edit on 12/17/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

How is that not a fact? Is it not a massive challenge to diagnose a delusional individual vs. one whom believes an outrageous conspiracy theory?

Based on what? That is not a fact. What planet are you on?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
Just because someone nuts believes something does not mean that thing doesn't exist.

So you see, conspiracies and media manipulation happen a lot.

Indeed, as the article would agree with you that believing a conspiracy theory does not make you mentally ill.

While I cannot argue that media manipulation has been used in the past, I will argue that NBC has benefited greatly by the conspiracy theory crowd.

So what is this media manipulation for exactly?

I will note once more over that MSNBC is a major sponsor of ATS. Additionally, the NBC website received many visitors from the conspiracy theory crowd due to the overwhelmingly emotional reaction to this story.

My argument stands that this was a successful attempt to directly trigger the emotions of the supporters of these websites in order to drive them in all of their outrage to read this "incredibly incorrect" NBC article. Thus driving ad revenue through the new Unique Impressions.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

not really, a delusional person believes there is a conspiracy against them personally, a person who believes an outrageous conspiracy theory believes that there is an outrageous conspiracy being carried out generally, against someone else or them as part of a large group.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I cannot handle the overwhelming stench of ignorance lack of common understanding of English words. This is a news story, on the news, that has not one fact in it. Anyone who cares about that can join me here

Other than that, if this thread gets back on topic (MSM attacking ATS) I will return. Whether you like it or not.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

not really, a delusional person believes there is a conspiracy against them personally, a person who believes an outrageous conspiracy theory believes that there is an outrageous conspiracy being carried out generally, against someone else or them as part of a large group.

What if the conspiracy theory they believe directly affects them as an individual?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I agree. And when that happens, I hope I get a lot of publicity. I hope they make me look like a clinical schizophrenic because that will just give my book... Chasing the Giants more publicity as well._javascript:icon('
')

PS. check out www.chasingthegiants.com

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Considering the curent government machine, how can we eliminate the incompetence of these people, and select true leaders that will actually represent the constitution ?
I wish I knew the answer. The greatest "downfall"(dis-information,etc.) of this system started it's downhill slide about 1963. Are people too lazy or afraid to take on government.? I am not.
Thanks for your time.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Other than that, if this thread gets back on topic (MSM attacking ATS) I will return. Whether you like it or not.

I guess i'm little late to comment, I had to ask my psychiatrist before posting

Main Stream medias are not there to inform you, but to form you !

They comment news in order not to provoke any change or what so ever.

CNN, in the middle of the economic collapse repeated each days: Don't sell your stocks, don't touch your 401 K, don't move....

They told: If you are young and retire 20 year from now, no problems.

NO PROBLEMS????. A loss is a loss. Better sell now a buy more later when it hitted the bottom.

MSM are not friends of yours. They are businesses. They make monney from you.

They don't like competition, they want to see it crushed. Since ATS and others don't give the same product as they do(Aseptized news) they fear loosing market shares.

Moreover, their credidility is at stakes. If they become no more reliable (?) or can't no longer maintain the illusion they are. They are worthless. So their business, so the monney they take out you by advertising, and so for those who in fact control them.

It is like in the late Soviet Union, but girls announcing are more sexy.

Counter strike : Boycott all products announced by F@X news or any other MSM saying we are wackos.

They won't do us nothing, since we are not responsible for we are mentally ill

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nimrod
Counter strike : Boycott all products announced by F@X news or any other MSM saying we are wackos.

If you wish to truly initiate and participate in this boycott, stop visiting ATS. Some of their corporate sponsors are MSNBC and the New York Times just to name a few.

[edit on 12/17/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
In 1973, the father of one of my adolescent girlfriends' admitted that he was in a secret society, but it sounded a lot saner than the usual masons/skull&bones-type thing, one aspect of the members' group discussions was that they would discuss far right (or far wrong?) opinions and recent announcements by the then Conservative government in Britain, and they would unanimously declare the tories insane, mentally unstable. One of their principles was to agree that some facts were difficult to repeat publically (TV/newspapers etc.), one example: 'stable personalities statistically have had sex before the (legal) age of 16, but we agree that if we announce that on television we would cause....well, undesirable sorts giving themselves a false cache by having sex, so it is better not to announce it...' In fact I feel I shouldn't have written that here.
In order to be accepted a little further into this family's confidence, I'd needed to pass their "stable personality test", and only then was I informed of certain truths about this planet. Almost all of these members were doctors, as far as I could discern, but it's not as if I went round asking "What are you?", one simply had the feeling they were pretty well-off sorts, a body language question, perhaps.
And only when Dr. (?) was absolutely sure I was O.K. to handle the data, this statistically satisfactorily stable person, was I then informed......that he had met alien beings. He had actually witnessed an altercation between Nazis and alien beings in 1955, in Nigeria (one of the countries to which they had fled post WWII), with the aliens asserting "You wonder if alien beings think you are too warlike and morbid a species...well, yes, we do." Bear in mind Sue Lawley, a 1970s reporter on British television for the BBC, had announced during some programme that there were some photographs hidden away in some BBC basement that she stated would never be shown to the British public, and what they were of were children that Mengele had strapped to a chair, then sawn bits of skull off, standing beside them recording the decibel levels of their screams.....so, you see, the Nazis were pretty bad. And aliens took a dislike to the whole of humanity. They had deliberately chosen the fleeing Nazis to land in front of, walk up to, and remonstrate with. That's all I'm saying.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
ATS has an unfortunate tendency at times to depart from skeptical commentary to frankly disturbing rants that reek (REEK) of racism, sedition, give-it-up, mental aberration. Figure it out, editors.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

A person needs credentials to be a reliable source of information.

I disagree with you master Yoda.

A reliable source of information is one that is correct when it reports said information.

"It's pretty well confirmed he has WMDs" Dick Chaney

"He recently tried to purchase yellowcake from Niger" George W Bush

Are those reliable sources of information master?

Man I spelled the Presidents name wrong, now the SS is coming for me OH NO!

[edit on 12/17/2008 by infinityoreilly]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I see that there has been quite the discussion with regards to this topic sense I went to work last night and I am afraid that there is not enough time for me read all that has been said sense I last logged off before I once again have to get ready to go to work . I will catch up , but don't have the time today

I will however point out that there are many mediums that a mentally ill person can use to perpetuate there illness , not just sites such as ATS . To list just a few , Rock and Roll , Video Games , Rap Music , ABC News reports and so on .

We cross a very dangerous line when we start to assume or state that by exercising
one of our rights (that just so happens goes against " group thought ") that we are in fact perpetuating an illness .

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Sorry, but if you look around this website you will find PLENTY of mentally ill people and PLENTY of liars. The trick is figuring out who is lying and who is delusional.

Out of all the topics I've ever browsed in Aliens and UFO's about 1% have had any factual information in them. The rest are fake videos and man made objects.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join