It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thought provoking questions.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Here are some questions I came up with when I was about 15. 13 years ago.

1. There's no oxygen in space, but you need oxygen to have fire.............how does the Sun stay lit?

Some say the Sun produces it's own gasses, but how is that possible?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
2. To make glass, you pretty much melt sand/dirt. With that, is there a layer of glass around the Earths core?

Obviously I dont mean right next to the core. The cores heat would keep it melted. I'm talking about the cooling point. Where it's not hot enough to stay melted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
1. The sun doesn't use oxidization of chemicals (fire) as a energy source. The sun uses nuclear fusion, which does not require oxygen. How the sun works.

2. I think the pressure and temperature are too high and there also isn't sand in the mantle of the earth. The same elements are there, but they don't form the minerals that make up sand.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The sun is also believed to use a method called sonoluminescence to sustain a continual reaction. Anything will "burn" at plasma temperatures and pressures. Plasma (in general terms) is where molecules rip apart into a post-gaseous state and then fuse into Helium creating great amounts of excess energy (because the molecules are "calm," thus requiring less energy to be stable). Plasma also contains a magnetic property that reacts with the Earth's magnetic field causing various types of minor disruptions and the Northern Lights. In general, the sun is a very complex system working off simple physical principles.

science.slashdot.org...

Here is a recent article that might help you gain a better understanding of how we hope to look towards the sun to achieve fusion (not cold fusion).

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by Protector]

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by Protector]

join