It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoe thrower 'beaten in custody'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
All i could think of when this happened was an old quote from kurt cobain:

"If one more person throws one more shoe, im going to turn my amplifier on and play feed back for 2 hours. It only takes one rotten apple to ruin it for the class."

(kurt was mad cause people kept throwing shoes at him on the 93 in utero tour)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Also George, if the shoe fits, wear it.

soundclick.com/cannabissativa

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I heard on the radio tonight that this guy got 2 years for throwing that shoe. WOW!
I understand it is an ultimate insult in Arab nations, but 2 years? That is pretty harsh. Especially since he also got the apparent beating of his life to "boot" (pun intended).

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
www.sockandawe.com...

-

[edit on 17-12-2008 by prevenge]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Well, the guy was making a point.

Even if the shoes had hit Bush, he wouldn't have suffered more than a bruise. This guy wasn't trying to kill Bush, obviously, but instead he was greatly insulting him-with the whole shoe and "dog" taboo thing over there.

[edit on 12 by Jon_Stripe]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
I sincerely hope the shoe guy sues 'them'..

Uhh, *IF* that were even possible and *IF* it ever did happen, it would have been because of Bush in the first place. Ironic eh?!

Under hussein, the shoe thrower (forgetting it was bush, and say it were any other head of state as a guest in Iraq) would have been dealt a far harsher treatment, including loss of limb or other body part and possible death.

I've seen some of husseins old torture videos and those guys know how to party hard...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I think obama would have probably started to cry!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
A broken hand?
Broken ribs and internal bleeding?
And and eye injury too?

Maybe he should request to to be sent to Guantanamo.
At least he'll get better treatment there.

Yeah...so he could be waterboarded and tortured.

I'm sure he would have loved to crouched into a tiny box for 24 hours.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by lucidclouds]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Originally posted by marg6043
Chadwickus, you either have short memory, how easy many have forgotten the Infamous Abu Ghraib.

So sad, but hey many Americans tend to have short memories after all.

The Iraqis learned the torture from Saddam, American came to liberate and show them that Torture was still acceptable, Cheney, Bush and Rumsfled should be so proud

Hail to Iraqi Freedom!!!!!!!!!!

Ah but you see, I am not American.

I do believe Bush condemned what happened at Abu Ghraib, he took full responsibility for it, when he knew nothing of it until after the fact.

Anyway for the record I'm no fan of Bush's, but I do have enough common sense to realise you can't blame him for everything.

Who can? This guy is too stupid to have screwed this planet over all by himself. He had to have help. He is just too idiotic.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jon_Stripe
he was greatly insulting him-with the whole shoe and "dog" taboo thing over there.

This type of comment has been making me laugh almost as much as the shoe throwing incident itself. No offense Jon, not trying to single you out with this, but...

People are so intent on classifying arabs and muslims in general as "other" that they need to call it "taboo" and overplay the insult as though it's all tribal and stuff.

Fact: if I call you a son of a female dog, that's a taboo insult. The censors here will pick it up, at least. If I throw my shoes at you, that's pretty much a universal insult, regardless of where in the world you are.

Calling you a sonofaladydog and hurling my size 12s at your head generally offends, no? Can you think of anywhere that type of thing just happens casually?

My point is this: this guy had a very simple reaction, one that could have played out anywhere in the world, where people are angry enough and have been through intense searching of their personal effects beforehand. If you look at it like that, you can relate to it. Feel the frustration.

The MSM wants to sell it as some esoteric foreign tribalist mumbo-jumbo. Why is that?

Oh, right. People tend to wear shoes, and a lot of them are angry these days. What's the old saying? Vote with your feet?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
The MSM wants to sell it as some esoteric foreign tribalist mumbo-jumbo. Why is that?

It's not ethnic crap it is true. In the west many would think throwing a shoe is like throwing a pen, or a book or any number of other random objects. The guy chose shoes because it was particularly OFFENSIVE and he risked his life to make a statement.

Regarding the beating, I doubt if Bush sanctioned it. I am quite sure the Iraqi police are capable of dolling out punishment on their own.

However, no doubt Bush could have asked that the guy NOT be roughed up. He could have done that, and he should have done that.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by lucidclouds

Waterboarded?
Maybe not, but he probably needed a bath anyway.

Besides, I've never heard of waterboarding breaking ribs and arms, causing internal bleeding or serious eye injury.

And what does this nut case have against dogs?

I'm sure there are some puppies in Guantanamo that would just love to say hi to this guy.

Like I said, he would have received better treatment in Guantanamo.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

What stood out for me was that after the guy threw the first shoe, he had time to reach down, take off the other shoe and throw it as well before Bush's bodyguards moved a muscle. Maybe their slow reaction was intentional? or... maybe they just weren't trained to take a shoe for the president... only a bullet.

Bush has spent most of his presidency dogding the press so it's no suprise he was not caught on his heels when being shot at by this "shoe-ter".

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

<< 1  2  3   >>

join