It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the mindset?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
My question is why the "Survival" mindset?

I live in Wyoming, I enjoy the outdoors, I spend as much of my time there as I can. This is the explanation for my interest in gear.

The climate here can be pretty unforgiving. We have harsh winters, and tornados. This is the explanation for having food and supplys.

I dont believe there will be a Zombocalypse. I doubt the world will end in 2012. WW3 I guess will have to be dealt with if it happens. In the event of an asteroid hitting or the Yellowstone caldera blowing up, its pretty much over for all of us.

In essence for me, survival is what it takes to get me through today, whatever I may be doing, and making tomorrow a bit easier.

Spiritowl

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Why the mind set?

Because we are alive. I could go on and on about all the reasons but it all boils down to just the one thing we are alive.

Not a lot of romance in that statement but facts are facts.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
It's not a mindset but more like a natural instinct.The world we currently live in is a DILLUSION. A materialistic, self indulgent, facade; manufactured by those who wish to control us as a means to remain in power by a set of maipulated self serving man made laws.
, Glad I was writing that because I would have been out of breath.

For centuries our ancestors had to SURVIVE. Modern man has basically been stripped of this by being a domesticated creature. I would believe that at least 75% of people aren't ready to handle an average task of survival. I come across some really naive, blind and just plain useless people in life.

It's not natural to be born into a world where everything is easy and taken care of. Keeping children alive, that by nature would have died, and the rest of their lives are nothing but surgeries and dependency on their parents.Is this any way to live.

Again, survival is an instinct they deprogrammed us of so we're dependent on them.Survival of the fittest, only the strong survive. Man has undone what nature has took centuries to evolve us into.

Just my personal perspective which I believe is 100% accurate.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
My main reason is the way the world has become. The 9-11 tragedy kind of woke me up to the world. I always took it for granted that everything would remain the same. But I'm sure all those people in the towers and in those planes thought the same way. In an instant that changed.

Then during Katrina, we all saw the worst in man. The crime against the innocent in the supposedly safe areas.

Now, I look at the people in the world and as a whole, people are not as kind as they used to be. If something big happened in my area, I would have been able to count on others to help me out. That's not the case in today's world. If I don't prepare to survive with my family, I'm stuck. What happens if a catastrophe happens? Am I supposed to go to a FEMA camp? That will never happen as long as I have a choice.

So I guess for me, I feel it is my duty to ensure that my family survives if something big would occur.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I feel I need to be prepared because my crystal ball has broke.

If a sitx was to happen here in the UK, there is such a large population that law, order and rule will break down very quickly.

I need to be able to look after me and my own, be that staying put and having food and water just in case, or being able to bug out.
This I am preparing is several ways.

Basically the only person I can trust is me, so if I don't make any plans and look after myself, no one will.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiritowl

In 2012 the zombies will form an army and wage war against all of mankind in the 3rd world war, this is why I prepare.

The concept of why to prepare to surviveis a simple one, I believe Agent T has a thread out there about it.

In my view it boils down to 2 things. 1. Yes, getting through today and making tomorrow a little easier. How many times have we reached into our EDC's for our leatherman, or a bandaid? Those who carry an EDC dont even think about the fact they were prepared for that moment, its just what they do. This goes for small food stocks, staying educated, keeping a garden. All "normal" things to make our lives better without really considering it survival.

2. Preparing for the unknown. This is where someone takes the time and energy to prepare to have as little problem adjusting to the world should any type of disaster strike. Have a BOV and a BOL in case you cant be in your home, stockpile water in case it becomes contaminated, have an alternative heat source in case the grid collapses, keep a firearm around in case those pesky zombies come for you, etc...

Both points are really the same thing. Point two however is more of an outward showing of prepardness. If you have 2 tons of food stashed, 10,000 bullets and a fort in the mountains, you simply appear more like a survivalist junkie than the guy with a bandaid from his wallet, but both are the same. Just people trying to prepare for what is in store for them that day and the next.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Like to Boy Scouts... Always prepared.

This is not a one liner. A one liner might go: I have a dog, it's an East German Sheppard.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
why? because i don't like depending on anybody else for jack. and i refrain from using the term survival because of the image of the camo clad gun nut living off plants in the woods most people think of. i prefer preparedness, i just like NOT being caught off guard cause i have a little one to raise that will have it a lot worse than we do now when she's my age. so why? half practical and half a fathers love!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Thanks for the replys folks. I hate the term survivalist for the whacko connotations. Too look at things in a more realistic approach. I carry a spare tire in case my car goes flat. I carry a leatherman in case I need it. I don't have the money to set up a spare home, or bug out, although I feel something like that would also be practical. For one family or person I know there is no way to prepare for everything, but I am unable to adapt a defeatist attitude for the things I can prepare for.

Spiritowl

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritowl
My question is why the "Survival" mindset?

I live in Wyoming, I enjoy the outdoors, I spend as much of my time there as I can. This is the explanation for my interest in gear.

The climate here can be pretty unforgiving. We have harsh winters, and tornados. This is the explanation for having food and supplys.

I dont believe there will be a Zombocalypse. I doubt the world will end in 2012. WW3 I guess will have to be dealt with if it happens. In the event of an asteroid hitting or the Yellowstone caldera blowing up, its pretty much over for all of us.

In essence for me, survival is what it takes to get me through today, whatever I may be doing, and making tomorrow a bit easier.

Spiritowl

If you go through harsh weather then you already have a degree of survivalist in you. I grew up in the North East and when a storm was coming there was preparing.

It just depends on how far ahead you plan and what for as to the degree of your survivalism.

One quote that struck me as true (right after a bullet lodged in my bulletproof vest) "Luck favors the prepared"

new topics

top topics

join