It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Priceless Lesson In Humility

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by _R^z_

AssUMeing makes an "Ass" out of "U" and "Me"

Gee.... not like that wasn't taken out of a 32 year old movie.

aka Bad News Bears Breaking Training

Still one of my favorite.

edit to 2nd movie

[edit on 16-12-2008 by Rollinster]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
People don't realize that many people are willing to help if asked. Just because everyone doesn't volunteer, doesnt mean that people are not willing to give a helping hand when needed.

I have experienced awful human behavior. on a daily basis. But this doesn't eradicate all the good behavior in the world.And it usually takes a simple effort on someone's part to make my day.

While no, you can't change people's lives, little efforts can make them much better. Someone said that the homeless person would still have a bad life. But little acts of kindness can make them happier, even if for a moment.

And little moments can make a big difference for people, even change their attitude about life.

We can either all walk around thinking the world is a bad place, or we can singlehandedly create thousands of little happy moments a day.

If you read postsecret, even someone just showing they care for a minute stopped someone from killing themselves.

I was having a misearable day once, I was at the grocery store with a sick and fussy baby, who I was trying to hold and unload my cart. The woman behind me just started unloading if for me. She looked at me and said: you look like you need a hand. I have children too.

That made the rest of my day that someone considered me enough to give me a hand, at a small price to her.
(in fact, a lot of mother's complain that they need more help when they have children, with doors and getting in and out of places, then they do when they are pregnant. But people only tend to help pregnant women.)So when I see a mother struggling, I give them a hand.

I have never ever considered those less fortunate then me to be lower people. There are many reasons people are where they are. ANd sometimes it is not self inflicted.

I knew a homeless guy who was homeless because he lost his young wife to cancer. Homelessness was a way to keep him distracted and deal with the grief.

And even if it is self inflicted, it doesn't mean they necessarily deserve to be treated badly. Humans are humans, no one is perfect, and many would change what they have done if they could.

I don't operate under the guise that I am perfect or that anyone else should be and condemn them for it.

I worked in a privately owned restaurant that was lucrative. The owner made quite a living.

Every Saturday, the owner would bring in his children. Make them help the bus boys, dishwashers, clean the floors or assist the wait staff. So they never forget the lesson that every job is important, you never look down on anybody, and they wouldnt' have what they have if it wasn't for these workers.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
What a loathesome story.
There's nothing humble about it.
First he's patting himself on the back for being a risen immigrant, and then he's praising himself for being emotionally sensitive enough to realize he had done wrong.
If he was really humble he'd shut up and strive to do better instead of presenting himself (and his "feelings") as an object lesson for others, for all of us, the little people, those who might benefit from such a story in our spiritual journey, we know who we are.

YEEEEEEEEK!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
nine eyed eel:
We dont! At least not everytime
And that s already something... If anyone will act better, nicer etc towards someone in need, even if only for one day thats something.
Concerning "patting" oneself...well thats very human behavior...

Peace
Stanley Kovalsky

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Thanks for this..

If only the majority were so introspective, maybe we could break free of the archaic stereotypes fragmenting the social world I find myself frowning at on a daily basis...

Gav..

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
That was an excellent story. Behind every peson we meet on the street, at work, or at the store, has a story to tell. We really don't know if that raggedly, ugly, small man who drives a 1992 Ford Tempo is really a millionarie world-famous physicist or surgeon. As humans, we will always be victims of our own ignorance, of which prejudice is a symptom.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I had two professional college educated parents and was fortunate enough to have had a comfortable middle class upbringing.

My parents DID have me get a JOB when I was old enough to work at 15 years old. After working as a busboy and dishwasher for minimum wage, it taught me alot about what being poor would be.
If anything, it taught me a valuable lesson in compassion as well as appreciating what I had.

Reading this story makes me believe that everything does happen for a reason and that there is such a thing as God who is always challenging us to do the right thing as well as evil( the Devil) whom is always tempting us to not.

Luke 6:37
Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Great thread.

Reminds me of a corny, yet inspirational quote.

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."

regards......kk

[edit on 17-12-2008 by kinda kurious]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join