It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this white stuff coming from the sky? (or: it's snowing in TX)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Last time this happened we ended up gettting 8 inches.

I thought you all would be interested given the anti-global warming talk lately.

I will keep you posted.

[edit on 15-12-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Sorry, I may have missed the point?

Is it snow or is it something that isnt snow?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

It was a humorous title because it is very rare to have snow here.

In the USA we joke that it snows so rarely that people from Texas would go, "What is this stuff?" when it actually does fall or they travel north.

I wanted to pass on the information to contribute to the other threads lately showing weather trends and events that go against the global warming theory.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Great, here we go again. It snowed here last week and more predicted for tonight. I'm south of you, but it almost never snows here. 2004 is the last good one that we had.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Actually, this has nothing to do with global warming, this is a temporary cooling effect caused by the change of current in the pacific, called, el nino.

It must be said that there is still plenty of social utility in predicting the evolution of an El Niño after it starts, since that gives 6 months or so warning before the effects come to the US. For instance, a fairly weak El Niño started earlier this year, and that enables forecasters to predict that the coming winter is likely to be warmer than normal across the northern states, and wetter than normal along the Gulf Coast.

www.pmel.noaa.gov...

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoagy1199

Great, here we go again. It snowed here last week and more predicted for tonight. I'm south of you, but it almost never snows here. 2004 is the last good one that we had.

I do not want to be on the roads tomorrow.

I have already heard that I20 is shut down due to ice.

Edit: No bull, more snow in Houston? Who'd a thunk?

[edit on 15-12-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Interesting, I remember how El Nino used to get quite a bit of air time, but suddenly did not, I always wondered if it had just gone dormant or the MSM had moved on.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
When I was 8, I lived in Fort Worth, there was a blizzard that had 4 foot snowdrifts..

It is rare, but it happens.

Freaks the crap out of the residence though.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

It's supposed to be north Harris co that gets hit down here. I'll be happy to write you a Rx to stay home from work tomorrow if you would like.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
When I was 8, I lived in Fort Worth, there was a blizzard that had 4 foot snowdrifts..

It is rare, but it happens.

Freaks the crap out of the residence though.

Was that the one in the mid-1980s?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

It's supposed to be north Harris co that gets hit down here. I'll be happy to write you a Rx to stay home from work tomorrow if you would like.

No no, better save that for the bad drivers who will suddenly come out of the woodwork...

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by peacejet

Interesting, I remember how El Nino used to get quite a bit of air time, but suddenly did not, I always wondered if it had just gone dormant or the MSM had moved on.

El Nino doesnt go dormant, it actually "oscillates" (circulates). You can get one of three periods of climate, El Nino, La Nina (which is opposite of El Nino, usually wetter and cooler weather) or a neutral year which usually results in more average weather

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

No no, better save that for the bad drivers who will suddenly come out of the woodwork...

Usually that's flood waters here, Metro seems to think that a BUS is a SUB. Good luck to you

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Don't even get me started.....

I had my schools Alpine practice cancelled cause its is cold out. Its like -10 here in Minn. I really didn't want to drive in, but I did, and got stuck in a 40min backlog....

I am still wondering about this 'Global Warming' things... is it some far away fantasy? Or it is causing me to have foot of snow on the ground?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Global warming is kicking in, just not in Texas...

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Reminds me of when my cousins from Texas came up to visit us in Manitoba, Canada in the middle of winter. Their reaction was "how the hell do you guys drive on this stuff for a couple of months straight"?
Oh you learn pretty quickly or you end up in the ditch.

By the way, can you throw us some of that Texas weather our way? It was -40 C (ironically that equals -40 F) here today. **Shakes fist at Texas** Give me it NOW!!! We'll give you our mosquitoes to boot.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Im in Denver and we had the coldest night on record last night: NEGATIVE 19.

Now coming from Alaska, that is normal for me.....but not normal for Denver.

Global Warming my arse.

BTW im from Dallas and I remember growing up wearing shorts in the winter.

[edit on 12/15/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Call it what you want but it's still just weather. It's one line so smite me if you dare

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
BTW global warming can also have the effect of colder winters. Global warming is just a horrible term because the changes actually cause global extremes ( higher highs and lower lows)

All of what I said is of course debatable so I'm sure somebody will

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
BTW global warming can also have the effect of colder winters.

In the extreme long term it can

Global warming is just a horrible term because the changes actually cause global extremes ( higher highs and lower lows)

Incorrect, global warming is a term to indicate the average temperature of the entire world as a whole is warmer than it was in the past

All of what I said is of course debatable so I'm sure somebody will

Correct

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join