It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa 12 mile satellite, Where's it gone?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I did a search and could not find anything on this so once again the statement is, delete it mods if its already been discussed and advanced apologies to all.

My question is. The Nasa shuttle footage of a 12 mile long antenna/satellite which showed phenomena, (we all seen that right), has it disappeared?

NOT the footage, but the antenna.

Only recently an amatuer astrologer managed to photograph footage of the lost tool kit from another space walk, (Chinese I think) yet, I dont know of any footage of a 12 mile long satellite.

I think its strange but some may not. Can any NASA debunkers answer this or more readily can any ATS detectives help provide me with some answers.

I can give a link if you like but it really is very easy to find

Kind regards

Albert

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by albertfothergill

Maybe just maybe it fell back to earth and was filmed and called a dragon or UFO!

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by albertfothergill
The Nasa shuttle footage of a 12 mile long antenna/satellite which showed phenomena, (we all seen that right), has it disappeared?

I think you may be referring to the STS-75 'Tether Incident' in which a satellite attached to a 12 mile long tether was lost when the wire snapped. This incident has become the stuff of folklore amongst UFO watchers and can be found aplenty on YouTube. Just type in 'STS 75' or 'nasa tether incident'.

As to the resulting 12 mile satellite, this was indeed visible from Earth and was photographed by several amateurs. You'll find some on YouTube. The 12 mile wire soon lost altitude and burned up on re-entry, as all this stuff does eventually.

WG3

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by albertfothergill

Hi Albert: I too think that you are referring to the STS-75 (TSS-1R) incident: the TSS-1R mission was a reflight of TSS-1 which was flown onboard Space Shuttle Atlantis on STS-46 in July/August of 1992.
science.ksc.nasa.gov...
www.astronautica.us...

The tethered satellite, TSS-1R (23805/96012B), was lost around 0130 UTC, February 27, 1996, whilst nearing full deploy during the STS-75 shuttle mission. This satellite was to have been flown on the end of a 20 km long tether in order to investigate tether electrodynamics, orbital adjustment via a tether and the upper atmosphere. After separation from the shuttle, the satellite with tether still attached was left in a 28.5 degree, 400 by 320 km orbit.

The satellite and tether re-entered March 19, 1996 at about 2312 UTC, somewhere over the NW Africa/SE Asia region.

Nondestructive testing concluded that the tether failure was a result of excessive arching between the tether and the ambient environment.

www.satobs.org...
apollo.isti.cnr.it...
code8100.nrl.navy.mil...
apollo.isti.cnr.it...

The above TSS images were taken from video during the recent STS-75 mission, in sequence showing TSS being deployed, shortly after the moment the tether broke and TSS viewed during a close pass (75 km) later in the mission.
Image credits: NASA TV

Many observations have been reported from Australia, Hawaii and the Southern US. Observers typically report seeing the tether subtending a degree or more (dependant upon the range to the satellite of course) with a small diamond of light atop, being the main satellite body itself.

See: SeeSat-L Mar-96 by thread

Most reports indicated that the tether was hanging below the main satellite (roughly along the Earth radius vector, in a gravity gradient stabilized manner). Some have mentioned an apparent gentle curving of the tether along with a small kink or twist at the end furthest from the main satellite body, possibly where the free end has coiled in the manner of a telephone cable (this appears to be along the velocity vector). Others have commented on the surprising brightness of the tether - one report placed it at about mag. +3, though brightness estimates of such an unusual (in effect one dimensional) object are hard to make. It seems to compare favorably with the SEDS tether of recent years despite it being much narrower; only 2.54 mm.

www.satobs.org...

Dr. Kym Thalassoudis has also provided this Quicktime movie taken from Australia (Donwload - 1.5 MB) showing TSS passing through the constellation Auriga (for reference the 4 stars visible, from top left to right are: 14 Aur (mag 5.0), 16 Aur (mag 4.5), HR1732 (mag 5.4), and 19 Aur (mag 5.0)).

The 2 images and movie above are ©1996 Dr. Kym Thalassoudis.

and this image was taken from Hawaii

www.satobs.org...

[edit on 16/12/2008 by internos]

top topics

join