It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Governor: Caroline Kennedy Wants Senate Seat

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Um... This is Caroline Kennedy.

So, because she's a Kennedy, she gets a pass on practicing law?

I think she's just like Hiliary. Nepotism works great!

Before getting all huffy about Caroline Kennedy's qualifications for the job, let's take a breath and remember Jesse Ventura and Sonny Bono.

Hey, Sonny Bono was great!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I love Jesse because he's an independent. Reps and Dems always have too many strings attached to them by the time they get to hold a meaningful office.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be great if the pros and cons of Caroline actually mattered?
There have been good points made here, for either side of that argument.

The only thing that will matter is if Main Stream Media likes the way "Caroline Kennedy" rolls off the tongue. If the younger journalists can have a Kennedy of their own, and if she takes vacations in interesting places.
Like Barack in Hawaii (I'm beginning to think this may have been a determining factor in the media adopting him!)

[edit on 17-12-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Caroline Kennedy wants to be the US Senator.

I want to be emperor.

The bitch is, we're both just as qualified.

But my name isn't Kennedy.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I can't believe that no one has mentioned Fred Grandy. Better known as the loveable "Gopher" from "The Love Boat". He actually has had an interesting career.

en.wikipedia.org...

Edit to Add:

While I'm at it, I have to toss in Ben Jones to the celebrity mix. You know him as Cooter from the Dukes of Hazzard.

en.wikipedia.org...(US)

[edit on 18-12-2008 by jibeho]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411
Very exciting, and brave, for Caroline Kennedy. I am very proud of the Kennedy's and will be very happy for her if she claims this seat in the Senate. The legacy in the United States Government of the Kennedy's will live on until the USA is no longer.

See, right here, this IS the problem... We keep putting "Names" into positions of power regardless of if they can get the job doen or not.
What experience does she have? NONE! What qualifications does she have? NONE! Why does she deserve this seat? She doesn't - but she'll get it because she is a Kennedy and that is plain stupid and wrong-headed!

The stupid sheeple in this country are creating an aristocracy built on names and family legacy and for what? It is those very people who have been destroying everything this country ever stood for and ever was. But the dumb sheeple will continue putting them in positions of governance. How dumb is that!?

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
The only thing that will matter is if Main Stream Media likes the way "Caroline Kennedy" rolls off the tongue.

There seems to be a totally mixed reaction to her in the MSM that I watch. Peggy Noonan (who sees Kennedy as a bit of a "Princess Diana") made a great point this morning. We all know Kennedy hasn't publicly voiced her views on specific issues - and that matters. To many people, being "a Kennedy" isn't enough. It wouldn't be enough for me to vote for her, but I don't think it should be held against her, either.

And many assume that because she supported Obama, we automatically know where she stands on political issues. But as Noonan said, we want to know how she came to her views. We want to know how they were formed. What's behind her? Where's her substance?

And besides, I supported Obama, too, and I don't share all his views... not by a long shot.

We also have to remember that she's not up for election. It's not like the people are going to decide this one. In 2 years, yeah, but not now.

It has become a bit of an interesting story. And I still don't have an opinion as to whether or not she'd be a good Senator. Of course, I don't know that Cuomo would either, and it's not my state, so I don't have a big stake in it.

Edit to add: And one more thing. If this was Robert Kennedy Jr., I think people would just accept him wanting to be a Senator and never ask a second question. His name would be an asset. Of course, he wants to get into politics. But because Caroline is a woman, she has to undergo the freaking inquisition. I've heard that the job is "HARD", like she's a fragile flower... For that reason, I kind of hope she gets it and shows them all up!

Edit #2:

I'm beginning to think that she's imminently qualified.

And eminently qualified, as well! :blush:

[edit on 18-12-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Edit to add: And one more thing. If this was Robert Kennedy Jr., I think people would just accept him wanting to be a Senator and never ask a second question.

Actually, If it were Robert Jr, I'd think the same thing. Just more of the, "But my daddy was...." nepotism.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I said I don't know of ANY reason she should be a Senator.

Two hours and a few posts later ....

I'm beginning to think that she's imminently qualified.

So you went from knowing nothing about her and knowing of no reason why she should be Senator, to stating that she is eminently qualified and you now support her. All in two hours? Wow. You must have been speed reading about Kennedy in between posts or something. That's probably the quickest conversion to support a politician that I've ever seen. Guess you must have been really impressed with all those many qualifications Kennedy has. Care to share what exactly they are that makes her so qualified that she converted you all within two hours?

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
So you went from knowing nothing about her and knowing of no reason why she should be Senator, to stating that she is eminently qualified and you now support her.

I don't support her - at this time- I don't know about her political positions.
I already said that. I do think she's as qualified (which is different than support) as many who have taken the job, though. I'm quite impressed by her intelligence and obvious compassion for other people, especially children.

I actually spent those 2 hours reading everything I could find about her and I posted some of it here. I'll say it again, I don't actually care who the next Senator of New York is. I'm just trying to have an intelligent discussion about the interesting subject of the thread.

If and when she voices her political positions publicly, I'll be sure and let you know whether or not I actually support her.
How 'bout that?

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Just wanted to remind you all that I posted a link to a NY Times article on her qualifications on the first page. Jerico35 also did an excellent job of cutting and pasting a list of her qualifications, a more complete one than the article contains, even though apparently opposing her.

She has written a book on the Constitution. I would think that would make many readers cheer.

It's important to remember that she is basically a private person who hasn't sought publicity for all her work. That in itself is unusual for a politician. That's why many of her accomplishments haven't been trumpeted to the world.

When I first opened this thread, I wasn't sure what I thought about her candidacy. Like many of you I recognized the "brand" but not the specifics. But the more I learn the more I am impressed. She has a resume most people could be proud of.

The only thing she lacks is experience in a public office, but many Senators have gone in with fewer credentials than she has and have served honorably.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Learning that Caroline Kennedy supports gay marriage and women's reproductive rights and opposes the Iraq war goes a long way in getting my support (I hope several days is enough time to decide whether or not I support her).

I also agree with her here:

“Undocumented workers should pay a fine, learn English and go to the back of the line behind those who came here legally.”

However, she totally loses me here:

In her responses to The New York Times, Ms. Kennedy described herself as a “strong supporter” of gun control.

Source

And I'm not comfortable at all with her apparent avoidance of the media and questions about her platform. She should be 100% open about her opinions. And if she hasn't formed opinions, she should say so.

So, I see her as being someone with whom I agree on some important issues and disagree on others. I want another state to allow gay marriage. I want to see the next step in the process.

Welcome to my life - very liberal on some issues, very conservative on others.

I think (because I know guns aren't going to be taken away from US citizens), that I would support her being the next senator of NY.

[edit on 22-12-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Another Big-Name Political Family...

The Kennedys...

The big one...

The most successful American Crime Family of the 100 years...

I can see it now....

"Caroline... come here... are you ready to due your duty for your family?"

"Yes... Don Kennedy..." *As she kisses his ring*

"I ask you to do me this favor... as your father did me favors..."

"Anything for you Don Kennedy... "

"You need to hold the NY senate seat for the Kennedy family... our family friends, the Clintons, and his holiniess, Don Clinton, have given us this oppertunity... From his family to our family...."

"Thank you Don Kennedy... My Don... the GodFather of America... I will not disapoint you"

"Thanks Caroline....

IS there anyone else, that needs a Favor... here... today... on the Day of my Daughters Ignarguration"

"Don Kennedy... Jeb Bush, here to see you...."

Ah...
I love it...
I love this Time of Ultra-Curruption...

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

That was hilarious (no sarcasm).

The only thing I might quibble with is I'm not so sure the Clintons will support Caroline. After all, she came out and endorsed Obama in an editorial in the New York Times. Hillary may well be magnanimous, but I'm waiting to see. . .

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Excellent photoshop picture that says it all when it comes to Caroline Kennedy swooping in and sniffing 'I want that senate seat'.
There are many others who are FAR more qualified then she is and yet the 'I am an entitled Kennedy so gimme' the seat' is the loudest voice.

edited to add story here

40% say Kennedy is qualified.
41% say Kennedy isn't qualified.

It doesn't say how many understand that there are others who are MORE qualified then Kennedy and who are in positions more deserving for the bump up to the senate then she is.

[edit on 12/24/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Actually I couldn't care if her last name is Hossinfeffer.

Ms. Kennedy recently made a quick trip to upstate NY (yes, there is a pretty big state outside of New York City), making stops for photo OP's in Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse. A reporter in Syracuse had the audacity to ask her if this was the first time she had ever been to Syracuse. She wouldn't answer and was promptly whisked away by her entourage.

Just what we need, another politician from NYC that has no idea what goes on outside of their little domain. At least Chuck Schumer comes to visit once in awhile and has a least a small handle of what goes on up here.

[edit on 24-12-2008 by zlots331]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Quinnipiac Poll

New Yorkers are COOLING to the idea of Kennedy taking the job.
They know that she isn't qualified.

Good for them!

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Edit to add: And one more thing. If this was Robert Kennedy Jr., I think people would just accept him wanting to be a Senator and never ask a second question.

Actually, If it were Robert Jr, I'd think the same thing. Just more of the, "But my daddy was...." nepotism.

You are such a hypocrite!!

"But my daddy was George Bush too!!" and if Jeb runs?? nepotism

topic....I think Caroline K. needs to answer some hard questions.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by whaaa]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join