It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY Governor: Caroline Kennedy Wants Senate Seat

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

NY Governor: Caroline Kennedy Wants Senate Seat

www.examiner.com

LBANY, N.Y. (Map, News) - Caroline Kennedy told New York's governor on Monday that she's interested in the U.S. Senate seat being vacated by Hillary Rodham Clinton, making her the highest-profile candidate to express a desire for the job.

Democratic Gov. David Paterson will choose the replacement.

"She told me she was interested in the position," Paterson said. "It's not a campaign. She'd like at some point to sit down."

Caroline Kennedy's spokesman, Stefan Friedman, declined to comment.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Some people at ATS are too young to remember Caroline Kennedy, daughter of the late president, JFK, niece of the late Attorney General Robert and Senator Ted Kennedy. Hillary's Senate seat, which she is seeking, was once held by her Uncle Bobby. She grew up in a famous political family and has been surrounded by politics all her life.

A lot of people would like to see her get the seat because she is a Kennedy, a member of an American royal family; a lot because she has credentials in her own right.

Republicans are arguing that she doesn't have the necessary experience. You can see how far that argument went when Obama--with the full support of the Kennedys--ran for office. It's hard to beat a legend.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I suggest she check eBay.

There just might be something available for her.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
she does not have experience and it is a fact. you dont just go up and say, hey i have no experince, let me run new york. she should start small, like governor or maybe janitor.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Very exciting, and brave, for Caroline Kennedy. I am very proud of the Kennedy's and will be very happy for her if she claims this seat in the Senate. The legacy in the United States Government of the Kennedy's will live on until the USA is no longer.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias

she has credentials in her own right.

Which are? If you're going to bring them up ... by all means list them.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
She is wanting to jump into the "family business". Should tell us something in that quote alone. Uncle Teddy has made a fortune, and she wants a share. I am sure she has plans that will gain wealth, for her, at our expense.

Too many of these clowns already...we should cull the herd...the fattest are best for slaughter.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Just what this country needs, more Camelot romance BS. How about giving the job to a candidate who is actually qualified for a change. I believe Joe Biden said something to the order of "this is no time for on the job training".

What about Chelsea?? She'd be perfect for the job. That is your modern day heiress to the throne.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
yawn, another bored silver spoon.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swatman
she does not have experience and it is a fact. you dont just go up and say, hey i have no experince, let me run new york. she should start small, like governor or maybe janitor.

didn't former senator tom delay from texas, own a pest control service.
c'mon, this arguement about having to be experienced to become a senator is a non-starter. there are literally hundreds of ordinary people that went on to become a senator or a congressmen that came from very modest backrounds. she's 51 years old, she has kids in college, she is politically astute, and she lives in new york. frankly i can't see anything that would disqualify her. there are many senators in office now, that came into office with as little of qualifications as she has, and went on to be good senators.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
"I am sure she has plans that will gain wealth, for her, at our expense. "

Wealth? Whatever perfidy and faults have been attributed to the Kennedys, greed for wealth has not been among them since Joe Kennedy Sr. made his many milliions; and perhaps Jackie, but she married it.

In fact, that was one of the problems the business/military establishment had with them. They were already too rich to be bribed.

No. Caroline's kids are grown, her brother is dead. Teddy will go soon. She needs something to hang on to that reminds her of the past--that would be the NY Senate seat for various reasons. Experience? She has WAY more off the record experience than Obama has, who is basically a paper machee character held in place by his handlers who know he can't be removed without social upheaval (riots).
So. Caroline is not a bad choice. The damage with immigration, so often blamed on Ted, is already done.
OTOH, I really don't like the idea of dynasties. It was fear of that possibility that made Kennedy-haters think they had to bump off JFK and REFK. Ted got away by the skin of his teeth--his plane crash was no accident--and obeying the dictates. Personally I wish Ted had retired to private life before 1965.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411
Very exciting, and brave, for Caroline Kennedy. I am very proud of the Kennedy's and will be very happy for her if she claims this seat in the Senate. The legacy in the United States Government of the Kennedy's will live on until the USA is no longer.

But what you said is exactly the problem with giving her the senate seat.

She should not be a senator due simply to "entitlement" because she is a Kennedy. Without any real qualifications, Carolyn will need to earn the seat - you know, by having an affair (a la JFK with Marilyn Monroe) with a Hollywood star, or perhaps by driving off a bridge (a la uncle Ted) with a young male staff member.

By doing something like that, we'd all know she was truly deserving of a Senate seat.

[edit on 12/16/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

Originally posted by Swatman

didn't former senator tom delay from texas, own a pest control service.
c'mon, this arguement about having to be experienced to become a senator is a non-starter. there are literally hundreds of ordinary people that went on to become a senator or a congressmen that came from very modest backrounds. she's 51 years old, she has kids in college, she is politically astute, and she lives in new york. frankly i can't see anything that would disqualify her. there are many senators in office now, that came into office with as little of qualifications as she has, and went on to be good senators.

Senators are lawmakers. They make laws. They understand laws. They understand budgets that are way bigger than household budgets and far more complex. Typically senators come from a law background or have at least some law education behind them or know-how in running a business or business background.

If you really believe Caroline Kennedy is qualified for a Senate seat then I would like to hear your arguments as to why you think Sarah Palin would NOT be qualified for a senate seat, when Palin is also a mother, a Governor of a state and has some campaign experience under her belt now.

Anyone? Anyone?

[edit on 16-12-2008 by sos37]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

If you really believe Caroline Kennedy is qualified for a Senate seat then I would like to hear your arguments as to why you think Sarah Palin would NOT be qualified for a senate seat,

good point, Caroline seems nice enough,but my guess is she wants to get in on that first female president bandwagon.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Too bad. After all this time, I was looking forward to the passing of Teddy going to his reward, and then the US would hopefully be rid of the Kennedy Curse.

They keep showing up like pebbles in your shoe!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
Too bad. After all this time, I was looking forward to the passing of Teddy going to his reward, and then the US would hopefully be rid of the Kennedy Curse.

They keep showing up like pebbles in your shoe!

kinda like the clintons. they just dont go away

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Sorry ... but so far the best reason I have heard for her to get this Senate seat is her last name. Which really isn't much of a reason at all. Or are token appointments now considered acceptable?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
As an update, below is a link to a NY Times article about her. I know I've seen one that details her experience--I'll post that one as soon as I find it again.

New York Times article on Caroline Kennedy

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I found the article on Kennedy's qualifications. Turns out she's long on politics but short in the public office department. We shall see if the Clintons endorse her; they could make a big difference.

Caroline Kennedy's Qualifications

[edit on 17-12-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

If anything that article gives good reason that she is not qualified for the seat and is only being considered because of her name and the campaign money she could raise in upcoming elections to keep the seat. Oh and lest I forget, the way in which her name and said campaign money can help the Governor who will appoint the person taking the seat. Gee... where have we heard controversy on this subject lately?

So to recap... no shred of any kind of qualifications given so far, an article purporting that she's mainly being considered because of the campaign money her name can bring, and that said money and name can greatly help the Governor giving out the appointment. Oh, yeah, and she's given special treatment, as the Governor has openly frowned on other candidates campaigning too publicly for this seat... while he has nothing but encouragement for Ms. Kennedy's public campaign for the seat.

Am I the only one that sees something wrong here?

[edit on 17-12-2008 by Resinveins]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join