It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoe-throwing reporter Muntazer al-Zaidi gets bravery award

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by Lazyninja
The guy very potentially could have been gunned down mid-throw, I think it was pretty brave.

So do I. He is lucky he wasn't shot.

I just can't believe how quick Bush's reflexes are. He did a good job ducking.

i hate to admit it but that's what i noticed too ...
damned if he wasn't good at ducking!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
i don't really mean to be laughing or disrespectful of your president getting shoes thrown at him.

but i either laugh at that or start crying in thinking that could have been a bullet aimed at your president elect ... aAArgh! i don't wanna think about that!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Can you imagine the pain that Bush has caused in Iraq and the horrors that this journalist must have seen to make him have the guts to do what he did knowing that his act would have serious consequences for him.

A very brave man indeed.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Very intensive screening process, just to get into that press conference.

man throwing both size 10 shoes at president bush = priceless

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
I'd buy the guy a beer, but he's a Muslim so he probably wouldn't drink it

A lot of funny animations have been spawned by this thing, here's my favorite:

That has really made my day, thanks for finding it, I'm still wiping the tears from laughing so much.

And when I saw the video of the guy chucking his shoes, I like the way Bush is smiling as the first shoe misses, but the second ones oh so close to wiping that smirk off .
Fair play to the journo and better luck next time....
Mind you secret service were slow off the mark to 'intercept' him, I mean he got up and there was a lot of movement from the guy, normally secret service are straight on top of the situation, Maybe they were under orders to 'not react so fast'?
that way Bush could've been out of the picture ready for Obama tp step in
Death by Shoe , I'd like to see that one on CSI one day.

[edit on 16/12/08 by DataWraith]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Bush seemed to duck very fast (even too fast for a man of his age) because the video let us look at him, not at the journo: so the shoe enter our visual field just instants before getting the target. Actually, Bush had more time than the spectator to see the shoe.

Here is the translation of what Muntazar al-Zaidy had the time to shout in Arabic:
This is a gift from the Iraqis; this is the farewell kiss, you dog!
This is from the widows, the orphans and those who were killed in Iraq

I do not like the general idea of throwing something to somebody, but given the circumstances, I like to think of Muntazar as a pacifist! I also would like he meant to remember the american widows and orphans too.

Assuming these things, then Muntazar is a hero for me, a brave man. The world should make sure he gets his freedom back soon.
From Italy, LP

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Bush has tons of practice guys/ladies.. He has been dodging the issues for 8 years ..
I dont think anyone that follows American politics is really surprised .

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Funny video! I was unaware that Payless had stores in Iraq.
I suppose he was picking out just the right pair of shoes to throw. I am surprised that all of the haters haven't wondered why the guy didn't throw a pair of steel toed shoes.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by racegunz
reply to post by 04326

Saddam's lawyer???? ohhh!! Nooo! now he's doomed! The video of this event was hysterical, really, and I'm not a Bush hater either, I'd like to throw my shoes at him, and congress, and the courts.

oi...you have nicked my avatar

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I wonder how the shoe tossers life would be if Saddam and his two bloodthirsty sons were still running the country?
Not so pleasant methinks.

I'm thinking this is part of the shoe tossers long range plan.

After the arrest, life in Iraq will be difficult for him and he'll apply for asylum in the US.
And probably get it if the main stream media has anything to do with it.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by haika

Can you imagine the pain that Bush has caused in Iraq and the horrors that this journalist must have seen to make him have the guts to do what he did knowing that his act would have serious consequences for him.

At least now he has more freedom to report those stories.
Something he didn't have when Saddam was in power.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

But he might be blown up on his way home. Something that wouldn't have happened under Saddam.

Let's not gloss over history, or the present.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul
I just can't believe how quick Bush's reflexes are. He did a good job ducking.

Too bad Bush was not that quick on his feet during the past eight years.

I will say, for everyone lauding his bravery, from Kaddafi to Chavez, he would be dead now if he had tried that with them...or Saddam.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by 04326

Well if he gets the "bravery award", who gets the "immature award"?
That's what I wanna know.

Because we all know it's brave, and not immature, to throw your shoe at someone...
Yep...

[edit on 16-12-2008 by TruthParadox]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

But he might be blown up on his way home. Something that wouldn't have happened under Saddam.

It probably did happen, but once again, reporters were unable to report it. Only can report what your dictator allows you to do. I don't consider the man brave. If he had gotten up in his face then I might reconsider.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

That is so pathetic Slayer69. An angry man expressing his anger at the destruction done to his country by throwing a couple of shoes is not an act of terrorism. Had he produced a gun and fired some bullets I would agree.

That's where USA has lost the plot since 2001. Americans talk democracy, but think that the only democracy which must be tolerated in the World is US foreign policy.

We are all entitled to different views and USA has reaped the whirlwind of decades of disrespecting the aspirations of other peoples and cultures.

Personally I think what this guy did is funny and Al Jazeera says perhaps he deserves a prison term for missing... ha ha

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
reply to post by jam321

Let's not gloss over history, or the present.

i don't think anyone is glossing over history here. The fact remains that what this guy did may be immature or whatever, but he took a stand as best he could figure out at the time. I can only imagine this journo sitting and fuming to himself all during the conference till he got to the point where he just spat the dummy.

But coming back to the point, history has nothing to do with this guy's actions. If we want to go back far enough, we can argue that it was certain nations which previously had been supporting Sadam and had assisted his regime in the early days. But we won't get into that - anything can be justified if we look far back enough.

I still reckon this guy deserves the award.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
After the arrest, life in Iraq will be difficult for him and he'll apply for asylum in the US.

Yeah life is going to get very difficult when that guys gets released. He's gonna have hordes of people pounding on his door trying to get his autograph, and people bringing him food and stuff.

What planet are you on man? This guy is probably the most loved man in the country now, they might tear down parliament and make him president.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join