It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antikythera: A 2,000-year-old Greek computer comes back to life

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
If you are interested in this stuff, you can U2U me because I have done significant unbiased research to both the mechanism and the glyphs. It may be posted in the research forum soon.

But, since many see the glyphs in a different way... here is what I found:

There is proof that glyphs were written over between two different rules in Egypt. Consequently, one glyph plus another glyph on top appears to look like an airplane or helicopter.

As to the American artifacts- they are bugs and insects and resemble bugs and insects used in artwork during that period of time in that region. They have eyes. And legs.

There was also another supposed wood carving of a plane from Egypt, but it also had eyes.

The mechanism perhaps did "come back to life" but not as the title suggests. It is more like an abacus of sorts... a computing mechanism to calculate the positions of planets. Actually.. here..

"8th- Today I read the chapter on The Antikythera Mechanism (43), which is a symbol to how lucky people can be. On Easter of 1900, a bunch of fisherman were looking for sponge off the Greek island of Antikythera. While searching for the sponges, they found a 164 foot long Roman cargo ship which housed objects dating back to the 1st century BCE, including bronze and marble statues, coins, jewelry, pottery, and lumps of bronze which were seemingly unidentifiable. These things were sent to the National Museum in Athens. After brushing off some of the bronze bits, he found a gear wheel and a Greek inscription. This turned out to be a 33 by 17 by 9 centimeter complex gear mechanism that Stais, an archaeologist at the museum, thought was an ancient astronomical clock. Many people believed it was too complex for the time period and that it must have been something else, such as an astrolabe used for navigation and following planetary movements. In the 1950s, an English physicist named Derek De Solla Price professor of the history of science at Yale, was the first to call the gear system an ‘Ancient Greek Computer,’ containing over 20 different gears, the first known use of a differential gear ever in history, and very specific measurements and proportions of the gears. Many critics believed that this device was far too complex and even hypothesized that it must have been accidentally dropped into the shipwreck in which it was found centuries after. In 1974, Price, quite the fanatic, published research based on new examinations of the device using X rays and gamma radiation. In this research Price declared that the mechanism was a calendar computer from 80 BCE, containing at least -30- gears, although many of them were incomplete. He claimed that the handle of the device rotated to show the motion of the moon, sun, probably the planets, and the major stars. From inscriptions on the device and the position of the gears Price claimed that it had a connection with Geminus of Rhodes, a Greek mathematician and astronomer who lived from around 110 to 40 BCE. Price believed Geminus was the creator of the mechanism around 87 BCE. The fact that the shipwreck contained mostly artifacts from Rhodes supported this opinion, and even the date of the sinking is estimated to be around 80 BCE. This chapter is very complex and long so I am going to stop here and finish the rest of the explanation tomorrow.

9th- Okay, so to continue on the Antikythera Mechanism. Honestly this chapter bores me a bit, but I realized that I am becoming so familiar with so many different things. I think this is great! I’d totally sweep a “Really Obscure Mysterious Things” category on Jeopardy! The remainder of the chapter goes on to talk about later scientists who arrived at the same conclusion as Price. The device is a complex and accurate way of computing the movement of the moon, sun, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn. Numerous people have built models of the mechanism to better understand its design. Apparently, the zodiac carvings on the outer rim of the gears could be used to plot the planetary positions for any date. This is an extraordinary machine found in a very unusual way, and it is too bad that many ancient wonders such as this have been lost over time. This chapter was one of the longest so far, because it was very technical in explaining both the workings of the mechanism as well as the history of the tracking of planets by the Greeks and Romans.

10th- The next chapter is about ancient aircrafts and their appearance in Egyptian hieroglyphics, (44) early Colombian metalwork (45), and Egyptian wooden carvings (46). I’d like to say that gosh, I wish this book did not include hoaxes or “solved” mysteries! Essentially, the Egyptian hieroglyphics are probably of an inscription which was written over a prior existing inscription by another king. These layered inscriptions are called palimpsests. Specifically, King Ramses II covered the work of King Seti I. When knowing what to look for, linguists have even been able to decipher both layers of text. The Egyptian wood carving has been pretty much marked as being a depiction of a bird (due to the inclusion of an obsidian bar through the head, to represent eyes). And it was mentioned repeatedly in the text that the jewelry and metal carvings in Colombia and the surrounding areas could be artistic interpretations of insects or birds. The best part about this chapter is that as I was reading it, I was spending some time with my boyfriend, who was passing the time by skimming through the text. During this chapter he said to me “Well, I think this is just because some idiot from the future took a time machine back and brought an airplane.” I laughed, but I do really believe in the future we will develop time machines at some point (if we make it past 2012). I think that this chapter also could support the theory that extraterrestrials visited/visit the planet on occasion and brought/bring information and new technology."

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Wally Conley

it was called the dark ages m8ty were the church didnt want anyone to read or wright or have any knowledge of anything but there word.but like today if you look at it form this point,
it was called the dark ages m8ty were the goverment didnt want anyone to read or wright or have any knowledge of anything but there word.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
computer might be a bit of a stretch...

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
This is just on of many amazing so called OOPARTS that are brushed aside by the establishment, which server to completely re-write the evolutionist style history weve been fed.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join