Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Antikythera: A 2,000-year-old Greek computer comes back to life

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I still can't find the site that provided the previous reference i mention. In the interim, this might provide an alternative following the same line of thinking:

www.catchpenny.org...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
This is hilarious! Those hieroglyphs show an Apache helicopter? Don't insult my intelligence. Mayan airships? Please.

We are far more technically advanced than we were thousands of years ago. Far more. To think the opposite is, well, demonstrates a fantastic lack of knowledge of history, and a phenomenally overactive imagination.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Those Egyptian flying machines looked photoshopped or a modern sculpture. Please provide REPUTABLE sources.

Actually, those aren't flying machines; they're some kind of hieroglyph, probably, as you say, digitally tarted up.

More information here, including an unretouched photograph. By the way, this 'Ancient Egyptian air force' has already been discussed and debunked on ATS; I forget the name of the thread, but try the search function. Or u2u Byrd, who knows all about it.

One should, of course, beware of things that are 'all over the internet'; people, on the whole, are ignorant, superstitious and not very intelligent, and the internet, the ultimate in democratic communications media, faithfully mirrors those failings.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
very interesting, just shows of what knowledge they had, not to make the machine its self (although that is interesting) but rather the great level of understanding of the sun / moon etc etc...

just look at the maya calander,.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashamedamerican
And what about the ancient airplane sculptures in south america.

Or ancient egyptian hieroglyphic flying machines.

I think we actually know very little about our own history.

Sorry, but this trash has been debunked a million times on this very forum.

The original post is excellent though, starred and flagged.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   

If it's been debunked why is the history channel talking about it? Are they making up stories of archaeology in order to gain viewers? I think they are reputable enough to trust.

www.thehistorychannel.co.uk...

We also reveal that evidence of possible flying machines goes all the way back to ancient Greek, Egyptian and Chinese societies. Tombs in Abydos, Egypt, are adorned with hieroglyphics shaped remarkably like a modern helicopter. Experts contend that an artefact found in a tomb in Saqqara is a model of an Egyptian airplane.

I remember seeing the show on it where the show showed PROOF of that. I think the ATS debunking is sadly wrong on this one..

www.associatedcontent.com...

Heiroglyphics found in the Temple of Osiris in Abydos, Egypt show a helicopter, several UFOs, and what appears to be an assembly line and hangar doors.

youtube video of history channel showing it
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 16-12-2008 by libertytoall]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The history channel will show and betray / bend any story in such a way so that the majority of viewers would find interest in whats being broadcasted. REMEMBER the history channel is a company out to make money nothing less...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wally Conley
I find it fascinating that the Greeks had this type of technology so many centuries ago that was so far ahead of it's time.

Not necessarily the Greeks as a whole....but at least one Greek with some startling insight and intellect. My point is that the artifact may well have been the result of a single genius, and not a good indicator of the overall culture. Even now in modern times, we have individuals who seem to think and conceptualize concepts far beyond the average persons ability to ponder.

Of course, it could also be some modern piece of equipment lost at sea that just happened to fall near an ancient shipwreck....maybe?

[edit on 16-12-2008 by MrPenny]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Those hieroglyphs are not what you think they are. The site provided here is what you think of "helicopters" www.catchpenny.org...

Its actually kind of scary that some of you are so set on thinking these are helicopters, that you wont even look into the real evidence. IF these are helicopters and UFOs on this hieroglyph, then that means you can read what it says. Tell us, what does it read out to, then?

On top of it, some of you are so thick headed to think that we are being lied to in schools about our history, but are under the impression that The History Channel is the most refutable source. If anything, The History Channel is the one to make up stories and fairytales of our history, in order to keep viewers interested, so they can stay in business. Public school is basically free, and has nothing to gain, other then to share knowledge.

Sure, I know some of our history is incomplete, and maybe even swayed a little, but to say there was flying machines, is a little outlandish. Tell me, where are these machines? Why haven't we even found ONE of them? This thread was starting off in a good direction, but went sour when the OP started ridiculing everybody that didn't go along with his theories, while they were showing actual PROOF to contradict what he is implying.

Yes, the Antikthera is an amazing piece of technology for its time, but I don't think it was widely used, or even known about to the ancient civilizations. It was probably made by one genius, the likes of Leonarado, and either used for himself, or a gift to a King. But I do believe in it, because there is actual proof of it exciting.

Now as for the "golden airplane", I believe that it was just a model of a bug or insect. If we could find the sculpture, then we would be able to find the huge device. It is just as much a model/statue of something bizarre, as this picture is of a reptilian man and women.

Do you also believe that there were walking reptiles, with reproductive organs like ours, and women Reptiles that breast feeds her young? Please

[edit on 16-12-2008 by TravisT]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by libertytoall

Come on, get real. Are you suggesting The History Channel is a bastian of truth and not more concerned with securing viewing ratings?

The media/broadcasters never make stuff up for the sake of a good story now do they?!?!?!

To say "it must be true because the history channel says so" is almost as foolish as saying Egyptians must have had helicopters due to the debated glyph.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The binary man has summed this thread up i think

and i quote

To say "it must be true because the history channel says so" is almost as foolish as saying Egyptians must have had helicopters due to the debated glyph.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The hieroglyphs can be debated elsewhere.

The Antikythera Computer is indeed a great find and amazing if it (the reconstructed version) actually points to the accurate positions at the correct times (as previously mentioned).

This "computer" does resemble a clock with all the gears and such and therefore may only be a couple hundred years ahead of it's time rather than thousands. The first mechanical clock is believed to have been created in the 1200's and this machine is not far from the workings of a such a device.

Nice find nonetheless.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
You cannot refute it's existence. You are all arguing with something that DOES exist. That is the only point I am making. I don't care what opinion or motive the history channel has or anyone else the fact remains that the glyph is real and has those objects in them. Now it's up to humanity to decode them but you can't say it's "debunked" or "fake" because it DOES exist. You can say it's not a helicopter and that's certainly your "opinion." Just as it is a valid opinion to assume it IS a helicopter since it certainly resembles one. The bottom line is everything will be opinion on this relic but the bottom line is it exists and can't be debunked unless you were alive to understand it's true meaning back then.

I'm certainly going to give more credibility to The History Channel over some website called catchpenny..

[edit on 16-12-2008 by libertytoall]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ashamedamerican

I thought this was really cool that they actually built a working model of something ancient. Way cool. Leaves no doubt that a working UFO could also be built too.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Wow. That's incredible.

So we have two possibilities:

1. Ancient Egyptian heiroglyphs depict flying weapons that won't exist for several thousands of years after they were carved, and an alleged spaceship that we still haven't seen to this day (and so don't know it's a spaceship, unless we count science fiction movies as evidence they do)
  2. A hieroglyph has been mis-identified by people who don't know anything about hieroglyphs

I wonder which one is more likely? I know which one Occam's razor would suggest is true.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Of course. Working UFOs have been built on this planet for decades. The number of man-made flying devices (aircraft, balloons, lanterns, etc.) that have been seen flying and not been identified is staggering. That's all a UFO is - an unidentified flying object. It has nothing to do with extraterrestrial intelligence and technology.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by libertytoall
You cannot refute it's existence. You are all arguing with something that DOES exist. That is the only point I am making. I don't care what opinion or motive the history channel has or anyone else the fact remains that the glyph is real and has those objects in them.
I don't think anybody here is dismissing the existence of the hieroglyphs. The glyphs are very real, but the objects you think you see is actually two glyphs that look like one. This is due to erosion, and the modifying and replacing of some glyphs. Actually, Egyptians have been known to modify a number of hieroglyphs, in order to expand on the original sentence. This was their only way of doing so, cause they didn't have the technology like an eraser, a computer, and yes, a helicopter.

Now it's up to humanity to decode them but you can't say it's "debunked" or "fake" because it DOES exist. You can say it's not a helicopter and that's certainly your "opinion." Just as it is a valid opinion to assume it IS a helicopter since it certainly resembles one.
Again, the glyphs are real, but the image that you think is one helicopter, is actually 2 glyphs that looks like a helicopter. The hieroglyph has been deciphered, yet, you don't want to believe it, just because it would go against your theory. The entire hieroglyph reads, "The one of the Two Ladies, who suppresses the nine foreign countries".

The bottom line is everything will be opinion on this relic but the bottom line is it exists and can't be debunked unless you were alive to understand it's true meaning back then.
I just showed you what it said, but I doubt you'll listen, cause your education on the subject, is that of cable television.

I'm certainly going to give more credibility to The History Channel over some website called catchpenny..
This is actually just one of MANY wedsites, books, and papers that shows that it isn't a helicopter. It was just the one that was referenced early on in this post, so I reposted to make sure you didn't miss it. And from the looks of things, it doesn't look like you've even read it.

To tell you the truth, the number one reason why nobody should believe the helicopter theory is simple. Where are the ancient helicopters, planes, rocket ships, etc etc? If these glyphs are what you say they are, then why can we find the glyphs, but not the actual physical object. I would think the object would be easier to find the the "picture".

[edit on 16-12-2008 by TravisT]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wally Conley

ancient egypt existed during the age of the magi.they did not have great technology,but some could see into the future and what they saw had confused them so that it permeated their writings and art.they tried to emulate things they would see from the future and even built religions upon their dreams.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I dont think anyone who has been willling to engage in discussion with you is suggesting that the glyphs dont exist.... Neither are they saying that is the reason they have been debunked. What they are saying is that the image seen is not a helicopter but an image that resembles one from what remians of a previous complete heiroglyph.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashamedamerican
It makes you wonder what else they had in history that we don't know about.
Look at the Baghdad Battery for example.

And what about the ancient airplane sculptures in south america.

Or ancient egyptian hieroglyphic flying machines.

I think we actually know very little about our own history.

The bagdad batteries work my kids and I made one some time ago. It ran all the overhead lights in our garage for over 2 weeks and it was only a 6 inch vase that was about 4 inches around.
lights:
2 8 foot double strip flouresents
2 4 foot double strip flouresents
1 single light 100 watt bulb
we left them on 24/7 so technically speaking if it was only at times when we would have needed them they would have lasted for over a month or more on the one tiny battery!!!
I am going to see if we can use them to charge up 12 volt rechargeable batteries that can be used to run household electronics. Just have to figure out what kind of a regulation device we would need to use to slow the flow so we dont blow up the 12 volt with a rush of power. ( done that before its not just a massive mess the noise is worse than a gun shot :lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join