It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antikythera: A 2,000-year-old Greek computer comes back to life

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ashamedamerican

I believe I watched a documentary demonstrating that the egyptian hieroglyphics are actually images of people and animals that have eroded. While it's very coincidental they should look that way, it's just that.. coincidence.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Actually, the image of the glyph depicting flying machines is the only image of that glyph I could find on the internet. The first page of google links when searching for 'ancient Egyptian flying machine' all include that exact photo. One of the pages claims that the photo was taken by them, one says the photo was submitted by their resident ufologist, one mentions the photo being submitted to a newspaper some years ago. They are all the same photo though, and I haven't read anything regarding anyone actually verifying that it's real.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

The Baghdad batteries were not batteries.

* the bitumen completely covers the copper cylinder, electrically insulating it, so no current can be drawn without modifying the design; * there are not any wires or conductors with them; * no widely accepted electrical equipment is associated with them. (Controversial stone reliefs depicting arc lights have been suggested, however the voltages obtained are orders of magnitude below what would be needed to produce arc lighting); * an bitumen seal, being thermoplastic, is excellent for forming a hermetic seal for long term storage. It would be extremely inconvenient however for a galvanic cell, which would require frequent topping up of the electrolyte (if they were intended for extended use).

en.wikipedia.org...

As for the Abydos carvings:
www.catchpenny.org...
They do not represent what you think they do.

The Mayan airships are highly stylized flying fish and insects.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
"Excellent find man!!"
It just goes to show us that we may not be as smart as we thought we were when compared to achievements such as this were done almost 2 millennia ago.

"Flag from me!!"

Thanks for sharing....

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider

The Baghdad batteries were not batteries.

* the bitumen completely covers the copper cylinder, electrically insulating it, so no current can be drawn without modifying the design; * there are not any wires or conductors with them; * no widely accepted electrical equipment is associated with them. (Controversial stone reliefs depicting arc lights have been suggested, however the voltages obtained are orders of magnitude below what would be needed to produce arc lighting); * an bitumen seal, being thermoplastic, is excellent for forming a hermetic seal for long term storage. It would be extremely inconvenient however for a galvanic cell, which would require frequent topping up of the electrolyte (if they were intended for extended use).

en.wikipedia.org...

As for the Abydos carvings:
www.catchpenny.org...
They do not represent what you think they do.

The Mayan airships are highly stylized flying fish and insects.

Working replicas of the Baghdad battery have been constructed, so if it wasn't a battery that's one hell of a coincedence that the replica would act just like a battery.

As for "The Pharaohs helicopter" not only does it look like a helicopter, but it looks like an apache, also one hell of a coincedence I guess.

The mayan airships are NOT "highly stylized flying fish and insects" look at them. They are replicas of airplanes, anyone can see that. They even have a representation of wing vortices causing lift, which shows an understanding of the basics of flight.

Anyway, none of this is on topic, back to the Antikythera mechanism...

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Interesting, but odd.
Anyone here know of any other instances of gears in the ancient world?
It seems out of place.
With the complexity of the thing you would think there would be other examples of geared mechanisms, whether physical artifacts or in writing.
And maybe the reason it was found on a shipwreck was because someone sank a ship in the distant past to prevent the device from going somewhere. Where?
Would make a good subject for a novel.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wally Conley
And then it seems as if the human race lost touch with this technology for whatever reason.

They don't call them "the Dark Ages" for nothing. Beginning with burning the Library at Alexandria, men have often sought to revise history, and we always, always, suffer for the loss.

[edit on 15-12-2008 by jdub297]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
It is a shame we've lost so much of the past in books art and historical artifacts.
It would be fascinating to see how some of the great minds of the past would do with our modern advantages such as computers.
What would the inventor of that device have been able to do with a computer and solidworks?
What would da Vinci have done with an advanced rendering program?
What could Beethoven have done with a modern sound studio?

I don't think we take full advantage of the good things we have.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by badgerprints]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

We wouldn't be where we are now were it not for them.
There will be others to take their places. They are rare in the extreme, but they will be here.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
The intricated design is incredible and the workings of the zodiac and contellations are wonderous. Planetary tracking devices from the ancient world.

Do you honestly believe that a human could obtain such gifted knowledge by invention?

This is what you make when your stranded on a lonely planet called Earth.

I wonder if this person or people are still alive today or if they continue their bloodline here in secrecy still waiting for that day.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by badgerprints

We wouldn't be where we are now were it not for them.
There will be others to take their places. They are rare in the extreme, but they will be here.

I like the way you think.
* for you.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
That is one advanced calender!
If they could make that who what else they have in store for us?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashamedamerican
Big surprise though.
Can you name one thing we're NOT being lied to about?

Not if you include lying by omission. I actually think this 'Computer' is a hoax. I have not seen it in person for myself to determine if the hands actually point to the correct positions of the planets. Its one thing if they all turn at different rates, but actually being correct? How would any of us be able to prove that wrong, or even better, I challenge anyone to prove that it is right.

_R^z_

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Hello,

Great thread

I love all of this ancient technology, civilisations and of course ... aliens did it.

The hieroglyphs that depict flying craft and so on has been debunked unfortunately. See this link on Catchpenny.

This, however, is only one piece of evidence that has been debunked. There are hundreds more pieces of evidence that are yet to be debunked so lets keep going

I would also like to believe that the Mayan airships are .... well, airships but the truth is if they were visions of ET craft then would that ET craft really have looked like our current day planes? Our F-16's cannot traverse time and space to get to Mars and beyond.
Maybe the alien craft did look like that and the Mayans depicted them the best they could.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by george_gaz]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Then you arent searching enough.

It's located in a Temple called: Temple of Abydos.

Just a few examples:

mmmgroup.altervista.org...

www.timstouse.com...

www.hallofthegods.org...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

All taken by different people at different times.

As you can clearly see this is not a hoax.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by coolism]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Another one of your great threads!
Going to delve into some of the links too.

It makes me chuckle - we think we’re ohhh so smart...
Take a look at the past and we pale in comparison.

Another S&F

*P*E*A*C*E*

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Hmmm such a misleading topic title.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by coolism
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Then you arent searching enough.

It's located in a Temple called: Temple of Abydos.

Just a few examples:

mmmgroup.altervista.org...

www.timstouse.com...

www.hallofthegods.org...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

All taken by different people at different times.

As you can clearly see this is not a hoax.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by coolism]

Well, ppl dont call it a "hoax", some just believe those carvings are actually the overlay of two different carvings from 2 different stages or times. One, the original was "corrected" by filling some parts and carving others to give place to the new inscription. What some ppl defend is that some of the filled parts, since its not same as rock, gave in thru time, and we got those images that look like planes, choppers etc but in reality are the overlay of 2 different carvings.

Who knows? Maybe they are... maybe they're not. Maybe the little plane statue is not a "highly stylized sculptures of birds or fish" who knows? With these things, ppl have the same proof they are birds as I have they are planes...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashamedamerican

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
Those Egyptian flying machines looked photoshopped or a modern sculpture. Please provide REPUTABLE sources.

I don't really have to, it's all over the internet and there are more than just a couple documentaries on them.

So unless it's some huge conspiracy they are legit.
Do a Google search and you will see that they are fairly well known, it's not like it's one or two sites spreading a photoshopped picture.

I have looked at these hieroglyphics depicting "flying machines" before. Unfortunately I cannot find the site that provided the reference (I will carry on looking), but it stated that infact the part of the glyph that looks like a helicopter is part of the the same character that sits immediately right. You can even see where the line would have joined the two together:

The glyph it forms is well recognised and therefore the "helicopter" is actually a not a helicopter at all.

edit :- typo

[edit on 16/12/2008 by 0010110011101]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join