It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Hid The Facts!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I stumbled across this interesting glitch the other day on windows xp, i was wondering if people here on ATS could shead some light on what this actualy means!

NOTE: This cannot be done on windows vista or any other operating system.

Step #1

Right click > Select New > Text Document.

Step #2

Open Text Document > Type: bush hid the facts > Save, then exit.

Step #3

Open the Text Document >

Either some chinese symbols have appeared or rectangular boxes have appeared.

I tried to decipher what it means by copying and pasting it into a translator, with no luck!

What is Bill Gates trying to tell us...

Conspiracy, or Prank?!?

[edit on 15-12-2008 by Poet Of Deception]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I would also like this to be a member participation, post what or why you think Bill Gates has done and meant by it.

What you found out about it!

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Poet Of Deception

That's weird!!!

Great Find, wonder why it is happening, I wonder what else does this?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
reply to post by Poet Of Deception

That's weird!!!

Great Find, wonder why it is happening, I wonder what else does this?

It is extremely weird! I wonder why Bill Gates would add this to his system
Is it worth thinking about...

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
You just happen to stumble upon it? Or you found it online

This has been around a long time...no conspiracy:

www.hoax-slayer.com...

Commentary:
This little Windows Notepad "trick" is often posted to online forums and blogs and also travels via email. When the phrase "Bush hid the facts" is typed into the Windows XP or Windows NT/2000 versions of Notepad as instructed above, the re-opened file displays an unreadable line of squares or Chinese style characters.

The first image below shows the text before closing the Notepad file. The second image shows the text as it is displayed after the file is re-opened

Some of the more wide-eyed conspiracy theorists postulate that this result is a form of political commentary directed against US President Bush and was knowingly and deliberately programmed into Notepad by Microsoft.

Alas, the truth is far less compelling. It appears that a lot of other character strings in the pattern 4 letters, 3 letters, 3 letters and 5 letters will give the same result. For example, the phrase "Bill fed the goats" also displays the garbled text as shown below:

In fact, even a line of text such as "hhhh hhh hhh hhhhh" will elicit the same results.

Since I first published this article, a few readers have pointed out that some character strings that fit the "4,3,3,5" pattern do not generate the error. For example, the phrase "Bush hid the truth" is displayed normally. However, conspiracy theorists should not take this as aiding their argument. "Fred led the brats", "brad ate the trees" and other strings also escape the error.

Thus, any hint of political conspiracy fades into oblivion and is replaced by a rather mundane programming bug. It seems probable that a certain combination and/or frequency of letters in the character string cause Notepad to misinterpret the encoding of the file when it is re-opened. If the file is originally saved as "Unicode" rather than "ANSI" the text displays correctly. Older versions of Notepad such as those that came with Windows 95, 98 or ME do not include Unicode support so the error does not occur.

So, nothing weird here at all...except perhaps for the fact that someone, somewhere had nothing better to do than turn a simple software glitch into another lame conspiracy theory

A simple google search will show much on this

[edit on 12/15/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
"畢桳栠摩琠敨映捡獴"

This is what my notepad reveilles. Is it always the same or is it random gibberish? Anyone know what language it is, id guess its mandarin but have no idea really.

How on earth did you stumble up on this?

Edit: When I put it into chinese online translator it does not show any matches but when looking up the individual characters this is the output: Anyone understand it?

[edit on 15-12-2008 by Waldy]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
You just happen to stumble upon it? Or you found it online

This is has been around awhile:

www.hoax-slayer.com...

Commentary:
This little Windows Notepad "trick" is often posted to online forums and blogs and also travels via email. When the phrase "Bush hid the facts" is typed into the Windows XP or Windows NT/2000 versions of Notepad as instructed above, the re-opened file displays an unreadable line of squares or Chinese style characters.

The first image below shows the text before closing the Notepad file. The second image shows the text as it is displayed after the file is re-opened

Some of the more wide-eyed conspiracy theorists postulate that this result is a form of political commentary directed against US President Bush and was knowingly and deliberately programmed into Notepad by Microsoft.

Alas, the truth is far less compelling. It appears that a lot of other character strings in the pattern 4 letters, 3 letters, 3 letters and 5 letters will give the same result. For example, the phrase "Bill fed the goats" also displays the garbled text as shown below:

In fact, even a line of text such as "hhhh hhh hhh hhhhh" will elicit the same results.

Since I first published this article, a few readers have pointed out that some character strings that fit the "4,3,3,5" pattern do not generate the error. For example, the phrase "Bush hid the truth" is displayed normally. However, conspiracy theorists should not take this as aiding their argument. "Fred led the brats", "brad ate the trees" and other strings also escape the error.

Thus, any hint of political conspiracy fades into oblivion and is replaced by a rather mundane programming bug. It seems probable that a certain combination and/or frequency of letters in the character string cause Notepad to misinterpret the encoding of the file when it is re-opened. If the file is originally saved as "Unicode" rather than "ANSI" the text displays correctly. Older versions of Notepad such as those that came with Windows 95, 98 or ME do not include Unicode support so the error does not occur.

So, nothing weird here at all...except perhaps for the fact that someone, somewhere had nothing better to do than turn a simple software glitch into another lame conspiracy theory

Hey... I never said i found it myself!

I don't realy think its a trick... There must be some meaning behind it! Thanks for finding that article btw!

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I did everything you said and nothing strange happened. When I re-opened the file it just said: "Bush Hid The Facts".

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Here is wiki on it

en.wikipedia.org...

Bush hid the facts (sometimes also This app can break) is the common name for a bug present in the charset detection of all versions of Microsoft Notepad in Windows 2000 and Windows XP, which causes a file of text encoded in Windows-1252 or similar encoding to be interpreted as if it was UTF-16, resulting in mojibake.

While "Bush hid the facts" is the sentence that is most commonly presented on the Internet, it does not exclusively occur with that phrase. The bug can be triggered by many sentences, including those that follow a particular structure: first word with an even number of letters (2 or more) and all other words with odd number of letters (3 or more).

The bug occurs when such a string is entered into Notepad (with no other characters) and then saved as a text file. Upon reloading the file into Notepad, the text will be replaced with nine Chinese characters, or squares if the language pack has not been installed. To retrieve the original text, bring up the "Open a file" dialog box, select the file, select "ANSI" in the "Encoding" list box, and click Open.

[edit] Discovery
The bug appeared for the first time in Windows 2000 but was not discovered until early 2004 [1] and has since risen in popularity on the Internet.[citation needed]

Clearing the content by selecting, cutting and then repasting the text does not prevent reproduction as long as it is carefully done.

Notepad misinterprets the encoding of the file when it is re-opened. If the file is originally saved as "Unicode" rather than "ANSI" the text displays correctly.

Older versions of Notepad such as those that came with Windows 95, 98 or ME do not include Unicode support so the error does not occur.

Notepad2 (by Florian Balmer) also exhibits this behaviour.

It appears that in Windows 2000/XP and Notepad2, these use the Windows API call "IsTextUnicode" [2] which occasionally returns the incorrect results with the word length combinations mentioned above.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Still besides the unicode, do you not think it is weird that when you type in the combination it creates that code...

You can't translate it because it isn't in traditional chinese or japanese!

join