It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coming next - the 'Obesity Tax' on non-diet soda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
At least in NY. It's there in the story, almost buried non-descriptly but it reads:

New taxes, deep cuts to education and health care, and a restructuring of the state's economic development programs will be hallmarks of Gov. David Paterson's first budget plan to be released in two days, according to interviews of people briefed on components.

The plan will come with a host of revenue raisers — increased taxes on hospitals and insurance policies, for instance — and at least one new assessment, a so-called obesity tax on non-diet soda to raise $404 million.

www.timesunion.com...

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
*snip*

We're all doomed.

So regular tax and deposit isn't enough of a crime?

[edit on 12/15/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I swear these politicians can come up with more ways to tax things than they can come up with just a few ways to cut spending. It's amazing! So now, an obesity tax is warranted? Anyone think this kind of legislation has any chance of passing?

Like Mark Levin asked last week, what's next, a methane tax targeting people based on how fat they are because fatter people produce more methane-gas in the form of flatulence which is clearly contributing to global warming? Hey, I wouldn't put it past them!

[edit on 15-12-2008 by sos37]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
People, people, still can not understand that unless you the people of the state allow this to happen the corrupted politicians will go first after the tax payer before they go after their own excessive waste of money on pork.

Fight back is you right.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wow, to put a tax on non diet sodas, is to put a tax on those of us who don't want to drink aspartame poison found in all diet sodas. Vultures all of them. The FDA will keep us as sick as long possible and sell us drugs that don't do s$#@. This just gets me all worked up.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Something similar is being done in China. The government is greedy and will do anything for money. They would even kill some of us just to get the $404 million that they need.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It would be nice if I got a discount for being fit. Or at least were exempt from some of the more abusive taxation out there.

Regarding the FDA poisoning us, it's no coincidence that the less expensive alternatives are poison. Corn syrup anyone? Trans fats? Trans fats were pushed by the CDC and FDA as the 'healthy' option for better than a decade. The best part is rather than admit a gross screw up and apologize then voluntarily destroy itself government pushed the blame off of itself and onto the businesses it pushed to use these oils in the first place then took advantage to create more personally invasive, liberty destroying laws and regulations for no other reason than to increase control.

Yay government!

Laughter causes pretty big bursts of CO2. Soon enough happiness will be heavily taxed. Maybe they'll attempt to redistribute joy to those with frowny faces.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
What I see here is *them* doing all they can to force aspartame on the peoplr of the USA.

And it will kill you.

ATS Link

Aspartame - the silent killer

Aspartame - Rumsfeld's
Bioweapon Legacy

From the Link Above:

Before reading this article everyone should hear James Turner, Atty, explain how Don Rumsfeld called in his markers to get aspartame, a deadly chemical poison approved when the FDA said no: www.soundandfury.tv... The entire film can be gotten at www.docworkers.com...

Among the many ironies of our modern world is that Gerald Ford awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom-America,s highest civilian honor-to Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld on January 19, 1977.

Just a few weeks later on March 8, Rumsfeld became the CEO of G.D. Searle to take point on a mission to force the Food and Drug Administration to approve for human consumption a known carcinogen and neurotoxic poison.

Mission accomplished: Today some 9,000 commonly consumed products are laced with this weapon of mass misery and millions of people live with chronic illnesses linked to the artificial sweetener aspartame.

It is our belief at The Idaho Observer that if some guy named Parkinson can have a disease named after him, then Donald Rumsfeld ought to have his own disease, too. Hence the term Rumsfeld disease A.

You might laugh, but seriously folks, I've no doubt about it.
*They* will do anything to dumb ya down, suck ya in, keep ya stoopid, and kill ya.

Proof?

Look at any of the links above - then ask yourself why is the stuff still on the market?

'Nough said.

*P*E*A*C*E*

[edit on 15-12-2008 by silo13]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I don't think it's such a bad idea. Sodas are unhealthy, sugary syrup drinks and anything that helps slim us down is good in my book.

Don't like aspartame? Me neither. Don't drink sodas

Get a shot of espresso or a cup of coffee if you need a pick-me-up.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Avenginggecko
I don't think it's such a bad idea. Sodas are unhealthy, sugary syrup drinks and anything that helps slim us down is good in my book.

Don't like aspartame? Me neither. Don't drink sodas

Get a shot of espresso or a cup of coffee if you need a pick-me-up.

I agree, soda is not healthly. What I disagree with is taxing the heck out of NY state residents. It really is getting to the point where the new taxes they come up with are almost laughable.

Throw in the fact that this jerk could cause major chaos among the native tribes in my area & let's just say, I'm not a happy camper. I guess those in Albany want to see the NY State thruway shut down again by piles of tires burning in protest of this sales tax. (It happened in 97 when the state tried this)

Fun times ahead, only not ........

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Originally posted by sos37
Anyone think this kind of legislation has any chance of passing?

I think it has a better than 50-50 chance of passing. And it's a high tax, too - 15%!

Next they will be taxing whole milk.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
The war on fat people has been a key part of the media's agenda for the past 15 years or so. The media has declared that it personally gets to dictate how we live our lives and what is socially acceptable and not acceptable.

First it was smokers - and once smokers were successfully made social outcast and lepers amongst the population, the media now has a new target: fat people. It doesn't matter why you are fat - genetics, eating too much, no exercise - whether its your fault or not your fault - if you are fat, you are disgusting/lazy/a slob and worthy of being targeted by the MSM.

It only makes sense politicians would jump on board. The only question is - what class of people is next to be targeted as being social pariahs?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I guess drinking pop is the new cigarette smoking. Before long we'll have roped off pop drinking areas outside of businesses so that other diners don't have to see us imbibing an ice cold Mt. Dew.

This is ridiculous. This is nothing more than a bloated government taking every step necessary to continue it's existence. The real solution is to trim the fat politicians rather than skim the wallet of everyone who wants a pepsi with their dinner.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
This is bollocks! 95% of those that drink softdrinks are not obese. This kind of narrow minded legislations is what is ruining the whole system. They just keep adding tax on this and that to get more money.

An obesity tax should apply to the obese alone and no others. How can they do that you might ask? With free health checks and a obesity cards. JOKE!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This is discriminative.. picking on obese peopple to make money on? I would DEF email and call NY is it? and let em know, this is discriminative, and teh person who made this tax law p, should not be allowed to run in a public peoples office...
jesus, are they trying to klll us all or soemthing? whats next tax on water and medications?
SHAME on them, for discriminatingly with intent..

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
STO buying cola and cooler juices...plane and simple boycott it all the way
That shol hurt businessses like COKE and pepsi even more, so thier business people go and have some words with the taxmaker ion this one...
hurt thier profits,,, fight back

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Waldy
This is bollocks! 95% of those that drink softdrinks are not obese. This kind of narrow minded legislations is what is ruining the whole system. They just keep adding tax on this and that to get more money.

An obesity tax should apply to the obese alone and no others. How can they do that you might ask? With free health checks and a obesity cards. JOKE!

The thing is the majority of people who heavily drink sodas are obese. And when people become obese, they begin to develop obesity-related illnesses. And when people develop obesity related illnesses, the state inevitably begins fronting the cost of treatment of said illnesses.

New York has been hit hard by obesity as shown here. If the tax helps people stop drinking too much soda and thus slim down, then good. If it doesn't, then at least NY will be able to afford assisting in someone's 200,000 dollar heart surgery because they can't control their appetite.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Oh sure, here we go. even more proof that they want what is best for us. [Sarcasm is thick here]

According to the EPA...

People regularly consume low doses of methanol in fruits, vegetables, and fermented beverages as well as soft drinks and foods sweetened with aspartame (which breaks down to methanol in the gastrointestinal tract). Despite its ubiquitous presence, methanol can be highly toxic if sufficient quantities are consumed. Ingestion of methanol (usually in the form of wood alcohol or tainted alcoholic beverages) can result in metabolic acidosis, blindness, and even death. Although the body has the capacity to metabolize the low doses of methanol to which people are regularly exposed, it cannot handle high doses because too much methanol overwhelms the body?s ability to remove a toxic metabolite (formate). When formate accumulates, methanol poisoning occurs. One factor that regulates the rate at which formate is removed is the liver level of a derivative of the vitamin folic acid. People who are deficient in folic acid (including 15% to 30% of pregnant women) may be particularly susceptible to the toxic effects of methanol.

Even though this report is dealing with methanol levels in the air this little snippit regarding aspartame is quite alarming. In my college nutrition class, our book and teacher stated that at above 97 or 98 degrees aspartame, when broken down, turns into formaldehyde. Even more proof that our wonderful FDA really likes us all!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Turns out there is another thread already started regarding this subject. I would post in the other thread as it was started a few hours before this one.

Link to ATS Thread already covering this

top topics

join