It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sprout for Victory!!! (Easy food just in case)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
A lot of people are worried about some sort of famine or breakdown of society.
I believe many here believe that -at best- they'll end up in a scene similar to the hippie commune in Easy Rider, where the city folks nearly starved cos they had no agricultural knowledge.

It doesn't need to be like that at all. I dunno if someone else has started a thread on this, but even a guy in a tiny apartment in New York, if he had some seeds, could have a supply of food within 5 days. That's how quickly sprouts grow. They're also delicious, and far more nutritious than grains.

If you're growing indoors mold is a small issue.

I am not a sprouting expert, but there is a WEALTH of info on the subject out there.

Keywords: Sproutarian, alfalfa, wheatgrass, oatgrass, sunflower seeds, indoor sprouting, sprouted hemp, and so on.

Once you've found out how easy it is, check out how good for you these things are. I take barley grass- it's amazing for health.

I suggest people post any cool links they find...

Also, if y'all want to help others, maybe have 100 leaflets prepared on "How to Sprout" to distribute in times of need...

Good Luck...and remember, the cataclysm timeline is by no means inevitable. We should be trying to collectively intend a renaissance timeline, but people are too broken by the "resistance is futile" disinfo.

[edit on 15-12-2008 by HiAliens]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

I've recently started to grow Fenugreek seed-sprouts for cookery use (works a treat and adds a boost in thick veg soups!) and it couldn't be simpler...

All thats needed is a mid-size jar, add 2-3 tblsp of seed, and then fill jar 1/4 full with water and allow seeds to soak overnight. Rinse seeds with clean water twice a day to prevent fermentation, and leave jar in a warm place.

3-4 days later you'll have half a jar full of lovely vitamin and protein packed sprouts

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
what happens when you run out of seeds?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by HiAliens

How many sprouts would it take to fill me up for half the day? 100+?

That is 100+ seeds for half a days meal sprouted after 5 days or so?

I think I would still starve to death.

There is still always indoor hydroponics for those of us with that knowledge.

Edit: Just make sure it's food your growing.

[edit on 12/15/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
For the information of those who fear that our food supply may some how be dried up due tro some kind of disaster, you might want to research what vegetation is readily availble growing in your part of the world.

Dandelion is edible all year round ncluding the root. Stinging neetle is also edible. Both of these weeds are very nutritious.

www.essortment.com...

medicinal-plants.suite101.com...

I have consumed both dandelion and nettle. I never use herbicides on my lawn and I just let the dandelions take over my front lawn. I am sure my neighbours may be displeased about the thousands of dandelions on my grass and the seeds that are spread in the wind, but perhaps they will thank me for not irradicating them should we be without food.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I would rather die than eat Brusssels sprouts

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Hey y'all- I don't really have time to answer questions. I'm not an expert anyway. I suggest people get on the web, and youtube and watch some docs. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
If I remember, the hippie commune in Easy Rider, the people were tossing seeds onto soil that hadnt seen rain in years, or so it appeared. If you find yourself in a situation like this, you would be better off eating the seeds before the birds do.

I like sprouts, broccoli mainly. Yes, they are packed with all sorts of good things for your body, and would be an excellent source of nutrients if there wasnt much available. However, one cup of sprouts give you a whopping 10 calories. Not what I would consider a survivable number for any real length of time. I dont know much space one would need to dedicate to grow enough of these to even sustain a 1000 calorie intake, which in a sit-x event one would think would be a bare minimum as a good deal of energy would be needed just to survive the day.

If one didnt have much space or was looking to expand their food options, this could certainly help to stave of certain illnesses, however, no one should consider this a primary food option. Only an add on to currently stored foods and others with a little more heft that can be grown.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
I would rather die than eat Brusssels sprouts

Oooo...you big bear-grylls-wuss you! I bet you'd be 'roughing it' in a 5-star hotel too

*voice of Raiders' butler*

"...and may I recommend the single-breasted with side-vent camouflage ensemble for this evening's soire at the campfire ball, sir"

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
what happens when you run out of seeds?

Every large city with a couple of Universities and nurseries has a couple of micropopagation labs which are capable of producing millions of plants out of one plant. In an emergency they could produce an unlimited supply of edible plants out of a few healthy specimens.

[edit on 15-12-2008 by eradown]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

It never occurred to me to look at the university bio-labs...thanks for that tip!

I would have suggested setting a portion of each batch of seed sprouts aside and grow to full term and then harvest the seeds from the adult plant

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Lets see, snowshoeing in the bush at -30,running the trapline..Sorry but a handful of sprouts ain't going to cut it..I'd rather eat fermented seal flippers than sprouts....The difference between what I will eat and what I won't eat is about 24hrs.

new topics

top topics

join