It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Christmas Shoes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The Christmas Shoes @ IMDB

A young boy tries to get a pair of Christmas shoes for his dying mother, while a lawyer tries to deal with the break-up of his marriage.

While the plot above doesn't seem to be much, this is an amazing Christmas movie. I cringe every time that I see it is on because I know the pain that I am soon to endure.

It was on last night and my DVR recorded it. I will watch it once again this week and then quickly delete it as I try to control myself.

For some reason, this movie tears me up on the inside. Last year I was stretched out at home with my girlfriend watching the movie and fought for awhile to keep the waterworks from starting. After too long, it couldn't be helped. I started and could not stop. At one point I wasn't even sure if it was the movie that had me busted up.

And not only last year, every year since I've started to watch this.

It is my hope that by being aware of it.. I can fend off the tears this year.

Anyone else see this movie? Are you a victim of it like I am, or am I alone in this?

Listen to this song before leaving the thread.

Just hearing this song now, I know I'll be broken up this year just like every year in the past.

Aghh!

[edit on 12-15-2008 by chissler]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I haven't seen the movie but I love the song. Thanks Chissler for bringing tears to my eyes today. It's Monday so why not?

Now I'll have to see the movie.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

You definitely have to see the movie.

If you do, please share your thoughts.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

My father passed away from cancer on Dec 2003, the middle of the holidays at age 63. I love the holidays with my family, but do miss him during this time of season. My Mom gets extra love, and we never want her to leave us. I will look for this movie and watch it.
No matter how old one is, it is very difficult to lose a parent.

God be with you and your family, chissler. Celebrate the holidays with your mother and father in mind, as they would want you to.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I will look for it and watch it. I watch alot of those hallmark Christmas movies when I can. Thanks for telling me about it. The song is very well written and sung.

PS: Once I see the movie I'll comment here about it.

[edit on 12/15/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Gee thanks Chissler. Just what I needed. Tears on my tie and shirt.
Watching the little boy walking down the dark hallway foyer......
Half of South Philly would like to kick my butt if they saw me when I watch these types of themes. My greatest fear, and I have very few fears, is to see my son without a parent. I do not wish to live forever, but I hope to watch him become a man.
Great thread Dude.
No shame in tears. Only a real man will admit them.
As much as I bust on you, you have my respect. I can't wait to share a beer or two with you while we watch an NHL game together.
Great thread Chissler.
Gonna go watch that video again.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I can't do it man, I can't watch this at work. I just can't.

My wife insists on watching this movie every year, and every year I sit there and tear up. The movie is sad enough by itself, but it always gets me to put myself in that situation. The thought of my little girl not having her mommy is what gets me in the end. Every time.

Thanks for sharing this though. This movie, and song, are a great way to remind yourself what the holiday is all about.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

The best Christmas movie ever made was "The House Without a Christmas Tree" with Jason Robards:

www.imdb.com...

I saw this one when it first aired, and have only seen it once since then. This movie is a forgotten treasure that all the Hallmark movies owe a debt of gratitude for. You can find it at many stores for $10. It is well worth the investment. It was made in the 1970s, when they knew how to make a TV movie.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I know this is along time coming but I watched " The Christmas Shoes " and I have to say I cried my eyes out. Between the three stories of Robert, his mother and Nathan's mother Maggie it really shows what happens in real life. I wonder why it takes a tragedy to make some people realize just how important your life is to others and what they mean to you. I'm so glad Robert realized how special his relationship is with his wife and that he should cherish this time because that's all it is. (time ) and it's short. Nathan shows us all about love and what those shoes meant to his mother. Nice show and I'm going to buy the DVD so I can watch it anytime I want. Thanks chissler for recommending this wonderful movie.

I also wanted to let you know that I watched a movie last night that was awesome and should be watched by all who are married. It's called " Fireproof " and it stars Kirk Cameron. I'm not a religious person but I do believe that if a couple gets married then they should do all in their power to keep that marriage alive or fireproof.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Glad you enjoyed it.

I've watched it at Christmas time every year for the past three or four and each time it tears me up on the inside. A great movie and a great message.

top topics

join