It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is life real or just an illusion?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
i have wondered this since i was a little girl, strangely enough. when i was around 7 i had the idea that we are all just little dolls being played with by some giants. Obviously this analogy came from the fact that I played with my Barbies in that way...I controlled what they did and what they said and how they interacted. I really believed this was a possibility, even that young. Now, obviously I don't think there are giants playing with us and determining our lives; but i do think there is something bigger. Is this all an illusion? I don't know... sometimes it feels like it...doesn't feel real all of the time. It's a strange feeling, right? Another thing that has bothered me since I was around 7 is the fact that church taught me we all come from God...and i STILL don't understand where he/it came from. My little 7 year old brain would lie awake at night, wondering how God came about from nothing...and then I would think that nothing couldn't exist either, blackness is what i think of as nothing...but if its blackness then its SOMETHING. so yea, lol, these thoughts started at 7 and still haven't ceased 13 years later! I wish i knew the answers.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination."
-John Lennon

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I think reality is consciousness, and our 3d human experience holodek, is an illusion, consciousness in it's most dense form.

I think it's one of the hardest challenges for individual pieces of consciousness, to undergo the human experience, for it is the most restricted form of consciousness, but also the most vibrant and expressive.

The illusion helps us to learn important lessons we could never learn in the non physical realm.

Like the song:

Row, row, row your boat

gently down the stream

merrily, merrily, merrily,

life is but a dream....

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
In this physical world of the ephemeral there seems to be limits to everything, death is inevitable and the way we live life is always fear driven. As there is never enough love, happiness, joy, peace, money, cars, food and shelter to go around
That is the illusion
However in reality on a higher level of understanding of the mind, we are all one in the divine eternal being of love in unlimitedness of all things omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent.
The only reason the physical world exists is because we as one in mind wanted to be separated from All That Is.
The learning begins when one directs there mindful intent to the reality of Infinite Love and not the illusory idea of fear and separation.

[edit on 28-12-2008 by Epsillion70]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by enigmania
Like the song:

Row, row, row your boat

gently down the stream

merrily, merrily, merrily,

life is but a dream....

I've been thinking about that song for a few days now. I must admit that sometimes it does feel like I am dreaming. I keep hoping to wake up and find that I'm really just a little kid back in Kindergarten who's sleeping on a mat dreaming of what my life would be like in the future.

Sadly, this has not happen yet.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by Rocketgirl]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I'd say so. Its your own perception - everyone interprets there experiences say in day to day life in different ways, like if your the type of person who see the glass half full or if you see it as half empty. Your interactions and experiences and who you come in to contact with have a profound effect of the person you are even without you realising it. Everyone has different life experiences and everyone reflects upon those differenetly depending on the experiences already achieved e.g the way in which you where brought up, or the way your parents were brought up, your firends, teachers, bullies - the list goes on. I wonder why somepeople lack the emotion i do, but then i can see it depends on how they see the world and what there lifestory is. My view anyway.

Factual Illusions you just take forgranted:

the sky only appears to be blue - it isnt blue

A colour you see is every other colour of the spectrum but the one it appears to be.

Your eyes view the world upside down - your brain corrects the image.

Religion

[edit on 31-12-2008 by MCoG1980]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekingmyself
My little 7 year old brain would lie awake at night, wondering how God came about from nothing...and then I would think that nothing couldn't exist either, blackness is what i think of as nothing...but if its blackness then its SOMETHING. so yea, lol, these thoughts started at 7 and still haven't ceased 13 years later! I wish i knew the answers.

Yep, i can also say the same for me on that one.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by MCoG1980]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketgirl

I believe devices such as television aid in disengaging ourselves (our minds) from "reality". Consequently, when the television is turned off, our minds may still think we are in the fictitious world of television. Hope that made sense.

EDIT: Since I am an advocate of infinite possibilities, this is just what I am leaning towards.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

That makes a lot of sense. I never looked at reality from that point of view before.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Well, I believe it was David Icke that conjured up a similar perspective. I think he said that television activated the reptilian part of our brains (I will have to double check).

During my times in front of the television for long periods, I would feel as if I was detached from my body in a sense for the first 5 or 10 minutes afterwards. It almost as if it was a small "out body experience".

Although, I also have a major problem with overhead lighting. Some one told me it was because I was a musician but I think it is mainly because I yearn for real sunlight and not artificial light that mimics the sun. The worst ones are the fluorencent overheads that make it seem as though you are in an examination room. Scary. They also blink at a rapid rate as well, undetectable by our eyes. Anyway.

ttyl

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Our world is a complete illusion and not only things that we overlook but in what we are taught. I found that when I woke up to the illusion that suddenly I was alone as if in a foreign world where I could see the puppet strings and no one else was aware.

An excellent quote from The Truman Show

"We accept the reality in which we are presented" - Christof - The Truman Show

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by WEOPPOSEDECEPTION

You could be right, I recall, many years ago, reading a translation from an ancient Hindu text, which stated that 'The entire Universe was simply a thought in the mind of God'.
For my sins, I cannot remember the actual source,

Regards,

Horsegiver.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zephyrs

What does it matter? you say, I think that if it does not matter to you then the illusion is just fine, along with your belief.
However, what if there were a purpose for this illusion and
you were supposed to be doing something, then reaching the end of your life you realise that you should have been dedicating your life to something?

Regards,

Horsegiver.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Hi Rocketgirl,
As a small child I experienced several NDEs, and later in life, managed a number of OOBEs, as I still recall, when consciously out of my body, this life is a grand illusion. The dimension outside of our body is a far greater reality, and I believe that there are yet others beyond.
My various experiences have led me to realise that each lifetime, is like a day in school, we go 'home' at the end of each day. As to purpose, I think we come here to learn, or to contribute to making the World a better place.
Finally, once out of the body and fully conscious, one realises that we are Spiritual Beings having a Human experience, and not Humans having a Spiritual experience.
Life after death, and life before birth, are the same thing.

Kindest regards,

Horsegiver.

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nox789
Well if life is an illusion and were all brains in a tub of nutrients, connected to wires. how can people talk together and have there own thoughts on what has been said.

All of our senses are just electrical impulses, so if the technology was available, this in theory could easily happen. But having out own thoughts raises questions.

Originally posted by Seekingmyself
i have wondered this since i was a little girl, strangely enough. when i was around 7 i had the idea that we are all just little dolls being played with by some giants. Obviously this analogy came from the fact that I played with my Barbies in that way...I controlled what they did and what they said and how they interacted. I really believed this was a possibility, even that young. Now, obviously I don't think there are giants playing with us and determining our lives...

No, they're not giants...

[edit on 1/1/09 by NuclearPaul]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Illusion is control through any means possible today whether it is media, the internet pretty much anything, these are used as tools to pre program a version of reality.

Its only when you break that reality that the one thing that is left is what every person on the planet fights for .... Freedom..... but that in itself is also a false version of reality, here is what I mean.

Freedom by definition means the following:

FREEDOM: the condition of being free; the power to act or speak or think without externally imposed restraints

exemption: immunity from an obligation or duty

So if we were to have total freedom we would not be obliged to do anything, nothing whatsoever but then how would we advance and grow if we have no drive to do so?

From this we can deduct that no obligation to do anything would cause total chaos but then on the other side too much control causes chaos. So where is the balance, what exactly do people want and how do they want to live, well that depends on what the driving force is to keep the world turning.

If we were to live in a world of total freedom where we would have no obligation to do anything how would we feel the need to do something? The bottom line I believe is that we need a system and we need rules to propel us forward or we stagnate and never evolve.

Freedom will not only not exist but its also a false reality so why does everyone want it so much because its yet another deception. When we have a proper systems and social and moral rules than we can live in a world we want to, I think while here on Earth that is the best reality we can achieve.

Just my thoughts on the subject since the thread is dealing with reality

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities

I believe devices such as television aid in disengaging ourselves (our minds) from "reality". Consequently, when the television is turned off, our minds may still think we are in the fictitious world of television. Hope that made sense.

EDIT: Since I am an advocate of infinite possibilities, this is just what I am leaning towards.

[edit on 31-12-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

Couldn't agree with you more

[edit on 1-1-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by horsegiver

Life really is an illusion, sometimes it seems like it's real but it's not. About a month ago I had a dream that our world was in someting that looked like a fish tank. Then I saw a man walk up to it and put his hand inside of it. Then there was another man who walked up and asked the man with his hand in the tank,how the humans were doing? The dream was weird, but it seemed so real.

It could be possible that a real life exists outside the one that we think is real.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

lol.. cell theroy in all its stupid glory

www.abovetopsecret.com...

have fun !!

By the end of it you will see very clear WE ARE IN SOMETHING ALIVE..

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by theresult

lol.. cell theroy in all its stupid glory

www.abovetopsecret.com...

have fun !!

By the end of it you will see very clear WE ARE IN SOMETHING ALIVE..

I saw that thread a while ago. It's hard for me to believe what that guy said.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join