It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A trip under the step pyramid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This is very interesting thread at the Hall of Ma'at by this same name by Jon_B who is famous for his excellent photography of Egyptian monuments.

Step pyramid

When I was in Egypt earlier this year I wanted to visit and take photos inside Unas's Pyramid. I knew that it was now sealed so I wasn't optimistic but was lucky as a contact at Saqqara was able to get me inside. He then offered me the chance to go underneath the Step Pyramid via the Saite Period Gallery which was an unexpected and very welcome opportunity.

This image shows how this early proto-pyramid was made by puting more layers of material, at and angle, against the existing structure.

Sometime during the Saite Period in the 26th Dynasty a tunnel was cut into the Step Pyramid from the centre of the South Face. The tunnel was supported with a odd collection of re-used pillars, many of which have now split. Eventually the excavators reached the massive central shaft which is cut 80 feet down into the ground underneath the Pyramid. It was originally filled with rubble, all of which they removed. Zoser's original burial chamber was below but it was probably already robbed by another tunnel that had been driven in from the North much earlier.

[edit on 14/12/08 by Hanslune]

join