It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what's the most powerful Fighter in the world F-22 or the Su 27(35m)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Originally posted by devilwasp
theres 1 thing i dont get about the usa military budget hear me oout before u rip my carcuss apart
where the hell does all ur money go ?
i mean come on u guys used to have lots of projects on but now uv only got a few on.whats up with that?

All the good stuff that we do is classified. There is no reason to publicly discuss the things that will ensure our dominance of any future battlefield.

BTW we still have lots of projects, we just don't talk about them.

well said

Plus, our big stuff costs way more then other countries. I mean, look at our carriers, SSBNs, SSNs, B-2s, M1s the list goes on and on. This stuff all costs money to keep in working condition. You see, unlike the Russians, we make sure our stuff works

and then there are failed projects, or ones which are completed, but then deemed to not be needed like the camanche. Also, if we are putting a lot of our troops through college, thats like another 100 grand a person in addition to training.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nucleartomato
ok. supposedly the f22 has BVR. but it is impossible to find the predicted exact radar range of raptors. secondly, ok. it might have the first look on the target, but the su-37 still has a radar range of 100km (60miles) and herewith not necessarily the first shoot. thirdly and mainly, a machine can only be as good as its pilot.

Your right, Radar ranges are not available (from what I have seen) because (I would assume) THEY ARE CLASSIFIED. One does not go about letting everyone know about this info. But, though I already posted this on the first page, I will give you a little info:

Mentioned in the above paragraph, the APG-77 radar is unlike any other fighter radar in the skies. It cannot be rivaled. The radar antenna is a elliptical, fixed active array which contains 1,500 transmit & receive (TR) modules. A individual TR module is essentially a mini radar in its own right. In comparison to an object, each TR module is about the size of an adult finger. A remarkable feature of the APG-77 radar is that it contains no mechanical linkages. Anotherwards, the actual antenna does not move. This does not have any effect on the performance be warned! It is able to sweep 120 degrees of airspace maximum, at 6 bar levels (change in altitude) instantaneously! In comparison to the F-15 Strike Eagle's APG-70 radar, it takes 14 seconds to scan that amount of airspace. The APG-77 is capable of performing this feat by forming multiple radar beams to rapidly search the airspace.

The Low Probability of Intercept (LPI) capability is without a doubt the most impressive feature of the APG-77 radar. With conventional RWR/ESM systems, it is extremely difficult to detect LPI pulses. This translates into a advantage for the F-22. The F-22 will be capable of performing an active radar search on equipped RWR/ESM equipped fighter aircraft without the target knowing he is being illuminated. The APG-77 does not emit high energy pulses in a narrow frequency band like conventional radars. Instead, it emits low energy pulses over a wide frequency band. This is called spread spectrum transmission. The way it works is, when multiple echoes are sent back to the radar, the radar's signal processor converts the signals together instead of individual pulses. The amount of energy reflected back to the target is about the same as a HPI radar, but because each LPI pulse has considerably less amount of energy and does not necessarily fit the normal frequency pattern, the target will have a difficult time detecting the F-22. This becomes more evident in a BVR engagement. In fact, the F-22 can launch an AMRAAM missile without even establishing a lock-on. The unfortunate target won't even receive a missile inbound warning until the missile has activated its own radar and is on final intercept. By this period, it is almost impossible to evade the missile. The pilot will have no other choice but to eject.

As far as the Raptor only being as good as it's pilot, I would agree, but an average pilot in a raptor will kill a superior pilot in any other aircraft. Thats the effect this tech has on the battle field.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
u cant hit what u cant see- f-22 raptor

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   

"The AN/APG-77 radar is designed for air-superiority and strike operations and features a low observable, active aperture, electronically-scanned array with multi-target, all-weather capability.

The radar is key to the F-22's integrated avionics and sensor capabilities. It will provide pilots with detailed information about multiple threats before the adversary's radar ever detects the F-22. This is also called BVR, or Beyond Visual Range capability."

"The F-22's Northrop Grumman/Texas Instruments-built AN/APG-77 radar is an active-element, electronically scanned (that is, it does not move) array of over 1000 finger-sized transmitter / receiver modules. Each module weights ca 15g and has a power output of over 4W. The APG-77 is capable of changing the direction, power and shape of the radar beam very rapidly, so it can acquire target data, and in the meantime minimizing the chance that the radar signal is detected or tracked.
"

-www.F22Fighter.com

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
the raptor also has a passive radar, so if an enemy tries to track it with a powerful radar it could launch an AMRAAM missile with a data link and ride the enemy radar beam to its target

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
hehehehe - I find it funy when people try to say the Raptor has a flaw.......... Right now, the closest thing it will have to a flaw is human error.

US owns the air for another decade plus.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
depends u dont know wtf the sweeds are cooking up !
any way we still own PART of the skies if i dont rem

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Laxpla

"The AN/APG-77 radar is designed for air-superiority and strike operations and features a low observable, active aperture, electronically-scanned array with multi-target, all-weather capability.

The radar is key to the F-22's integrated avionics and sensor capabilities. It will provide pilots with detailed information about multiple threats before the adversary's radar ever detects the F-22. This is also called BVR, or Beyond Visual Range capability."

"The F-22's Northrop Grumman/Texas Instruments-built AN/APG-77 radar is an active-element, electronically scanned (that is, it does not move) array of over 1000 finger-sized transmitter / receiver modules. Each module weights ca 15g and has a power output of over 4W. The APG-77 is capable of changing the direction, power and shape of the radar beam very rapidly, so it can acquire target data, and in the meantime minimizing the chance that the radar signal is detected or tracked.
"

-www.F22Fighter.com

i have seen that diagram. great. but it still does not give any exact radar ranges and as long as there is no official radar range is available, the assumption that the raptors rader is batter than any other is doubtful. they can talk much. thats what we call psychological war. i mean: i doubt that there is better radar...but we can t be certain.

posted on Apr, 19 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
just another link showing the f-22 s radar superiority.
www.eurofighter.starstreak.net...

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
the f23 should have been chosen !
its much better

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Devilwasp, are you a aerospace engineer? Maby the F23 should have been chosen, but the Military picked the F22 for a reason. Yes it is probably cheaper to build, but remember Those are not "True" stats. Who knows what we don't know about the raptor. And if the F23 was better, you would still be complaining how your county owns the sky. Thank you have a nice day!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I am not an expert,but as a hobby, I love reading about and studying military aircraft. I would like to ask a question. I have heard that the f-22 raptor is capable of more than a human pilot can withstand, thus if we were going to go any faster, or maneuver any quicker, we would have to do it in unmanned fighters. Is this true?iran

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by American Mad Man

people said the same thing about jas-gripen, only human error is fault ,

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link