It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The quality of ATS is going way down

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I didn't see any logical sequence for deducing a hoax anymore than I saw a logical deducement of age. Guesses and potshots based on those unconfirmed guesses.

The op posted for like an hour intending to speak again the next day. Everything else is just implanted cues on what you are to believe.
The next person pounces off those cues; the thread is derailed, and the mission completed.

Someone tells me something is a Hoax I am going to form my own opinion heavily including the motives behind they who call 'hoax'. And I never really have to have or own a final opinion to entertain discussion.

Everyone is a teenager-the guy is a hoaxer, ect. Facts are facts, the only fact here is the truth is not known or to be known because the thread got derailed as the disinformation squad has hit and killed it, whatever it was for whatever reason it was--so it could be labelled hoax and they could go on happily to whatever they do.

I myself like to read these threads

Was it right? Decisions are final, that's what I know. It should be unhoaxed and all those posters need a mod whooping.

And that is really why god made beer.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I didn't read the thread that you mention in the OP, in large part because I knew what it would look like if I did open it: someone making unsubstantiated claims (which is what the Gray Area and SkunkWorks are for), and then five or ten people posting to demand proof, call the original poster a hoax, and suggest that anyone who believes in Reptilians is crazy and requires psychiatric attention.

Although I'm sure that some of the trolls on those threads are young, I suspect that many are not, and more than a few are probably under the alcoholic delusion that what they're typing is the very height of satire.

I think probably a lot of the actual hoaxers we get are kids. But even if they weren't here to pick on, the trolls would just take it out on the truly unlucky and/or deluded posters who use these boards to talk about experiences that are at least real to them.

I think AccessDenied made a great point about how common it's become for people to post seemingly just out of a need for having someone else hear them – without any regard to whether what they say is of any value or contributes anything to the thread.

And I think the mods do a pretty good job overall. They need to be notified when a thread starts to get out of hand, because they just can't be everywhere at once. I've actually reported two posts during my time, and both were dealt with within five minutes of the time I complained – which seemed like pretty good service.

But they can't do anything if there isn't a T&C violation, and even if there is they frequently get accused of censorship.

Considering the size of ATS/BTS, it is amazingly civil for an internet forum on any topic, and especially an internet forum that discussed aliens, ESP, Bigfoot, politics, economics, and religion

I understand the need to rant about this, cause I feel that way too. But I hope threads like that don't actually drive you away from ATS. There's too much here that's worthwhile and that makes up for the handful of very vocal idiots.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
This site is specifically meant for discussing things you aren't necessarily free to post elsewhere. Why would you like to limit that freedom? Lord knows we have enough denial of freedom in the rest of our lives. I would not advocate disallowing threads about reptilians or anything else.

If you want mainstream info from credible sources, please check the NYT or any of the other government bought-and-paid sources. I actively want to hear about all the fringe stuff. I want to hear how someone is having trouble with ghosts. I want to know when someone has met ET. I'm here for that reason.

Our existence in these three dimensions isn't all there is. If people post rubbish, ignore it. You don't have to read it. If others want to believe it, they are free to do so.

You don't have a monopoly on the truth, do you?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

HaHa! I noticed you said 'ATS' and not 'BTS'.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I disagree..Im drunk but star and flag for you!!!..Its idiots like [snip] who ruin this website, there are many members who make this site amazing, I am a serious fence sitter about many subjects on this website but it is the educated members who provide many good ideas and theories that keep me coming back for more..Its wet brain morons like snip]and other dimwits who ruin the integrity of this website..Ban the idiots and make this website suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 15-12-2008 by cmd18B]

Mod Edit: Personal comment removed. Please see Terms and Conditions of Use section 2) Behaviour. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 15/12/08 by JAK]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by gordonwest
reply to post by Kr0n0s

HaHa! I noticed you said 'ATS' and not 'BTS'.

This threads life began in the skunk works but the ones who hold the power, felt its wise words would be better served in here, among the best of the best of the best

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
This threads life began in the skunk works but the ones who hold the power, felt its wise words would be better served in here, among the best of the best of the best

What exactly makes you think that a thread such as this even belongs in "Skunkworks"? Skunkworks is meant for out of the box topics of an alternative nature which covers a wide range of topics. The thread you have posted is not one of them and is nothing more than a personal rant (imho).

I say that the staff made the right decision in moving this thread out of Skunkworks. And in regards to your query about why this or that in regards to members/posters making remarks that rattle your cage about Reptillians, that is why they have a complaint area and why U2Uing a 'Mod' seems to work for everyone else. With regards to hoaxers, kiddies and trolls, well unfortunately they exist on every board I've ever visited.

I think your just 'irked' and disgruntled in general and maybe need a small "Time-Out" to regroup your thoughts. Just because you don't agree with something and action occurred because of it, if you don't use the features that are offered to you (and all of us for that matter) at this website, then you have no one to blame but yourself for taking advantage of them.

My apologies if my personal realistic views go contrary to yours, but I'm sure you'll continue with an opposite opinion, this I'm confident of.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I joined just a little over a year ago so I don't have a long period to compare.

I have noticed a lot of new members lately--I think many joined because of the election and they wanted to get their opinions out there. It's obvious to me that a number are very young. Some new members were (maybe still are) complete trolls, but I've also noticed a lot of really intelligent discussion coming from the newbies as well. I don't care what age a person is as long as he or she really thinks about their posts and tries to contribute something worthwhile.

There are also some "older" members who are consistently sarcastic, derogatory and negative. I've gotten some U2Us from people who weren't content with flaming me in the threads and wanted to continue to beat me up privately. I just don't reply to those.

My advice is to just pass over those threads that aren't worth your attention and ignore the unconstructive, narrow-minded, parochial, negative and sometimes just stupid responses that even a sincere OP can receive. I know I've had to learn what kinds of threads can get people interested in a constructive way and I still make some real clunkers at times.

There's just too much interesting and worthwhile stuff on here to give up on ATS. I do think your thread invites some useful self-examination, though. We probably do need to stop and reflect sometimes.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join